2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by KenCM, Jun 28, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know man maybe you get really lucky I lost so many hours of riding due to need to dry gear out, riding buddy not wanting to wake up, mechanicals, etc.. and 2nd half of July and August are usually wettest. Hope you guys can get along, have good bailout strategy and won't find yourself in situation where you bit more than can chew. Good luck!
  2. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    I am...not....an....animal.....!

Quasi.jpg

This RR is getting better and better!!! Rock on!
    garrett3 and cyclopathic like this.
  3. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When do you think this mad dash is going to begin? Is anyone going to be updating a blog for you? I know you won't have time to do so. Maybe call the wife when you can and have her do updates for us?
  4. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We depart in 3 weeks on August 5.
    I'll start a RR thread the day before we leave.
    When I create the RR thread, I'll put a link to it on this thread.
    We don't expect to have time to call the wives AND post our progress, so we plan on posting progress and anything interesting on a daily basis. :D

EDIT: I'll start that ride report a week prior to our departure, when we do our dry-run weekend through Ocala National Forest.
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha...look familiar?
    [​IMG]

Dr. Paul Brady in Knoxville pioneered a successful fix for the ACC injury. It's remarkably simple, drill a hole through the end of the collar bone and scapula, then pull a piece of surgical grade rope through it with a SS washer on each end....cinch it down...done. I have abused mine since then and it is holding up extremely well. You can see the two SS washers in this pic:
    [​IMG]
  6. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about what a pain it would be if we needed to jump one of the bikes since the battery terminals are so difficult to reach.
    It occurred to me that since both bikes have battery tenders, a jumper made from two battery tenders could afford a quick/easy jump.
    The process of cutting, stripping, taping the electrical connections, and then taping for strain relief is shown below.

jumper.jpg
    The battery tenders on the bikes are each fused with a 7.5A ATO fuse, so I'll need to do a little experimentation to see if a 30A fuse will allow a jump.
    If not, then I'll either come up with a shunt or we'll be limited to charging the dead battery from the running bike.
  7. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good plan to use a joining wire, but I wouldn't expect 30A would do much. What's the cold cranking capacity of the battery? I had a quick Google, and one aftermarket CRF1000 battery was rated at 340A.
    However actual capacity was 11.2 AH,
    So potentially just let it charge for 20 minutes with the healthy bike at a high idle, then disconnect, before starting the dead bike from it's own battery.
    juno likes this.
  8. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So... What you're saying... is, I need a 340A fuse?

Found this old stand for a soldering pencil:
    P7180002.JPG

Formed it with some grossly oversized snips:
    P7180003.JPG

340A fuse installed:
    P7180004.JPG

Hopefully, I won't experience a lightening bolt like the one that formed when I removed the ground from a running, loaded, wye configured 500 HP motor... :permazot
    FASTRacing likes this.
  9. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, don't use a fuse that exceeds the capacity of the wiring the fuse is there to stop you toasting the wires.
    If you want to start one bike's engine with the other bike's battery, you need 340 amp cable, or whatever size of main cables Honda use on the battery to starter motor, which would look like jump leads, because that's what jump leads are made for.

The actual current that will try to flow through that wire will depend on how low the dead bike's battery really is.
  10. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your observation is certainly the "correct" approach.
    My criteria for success here is whether, in an emergency, the bike will start before the wires melt.
    gluaisrothar likes this.
  11. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    Except that you don't know where the cable will melt. Maybe it melts under the seat near the battery and starts a fire. While this may seem like a good idea it is not. Proper jumper cables are the way to go even if inconvenient.
  12. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My immediate thought was to nick one of the wires so that becomes the hot spot and I have a reliable fire starter.

But I'm thinking a better idea is to have Garret hold the wire and we only crank until it's so hot he can't hold on to it any longer :lol3

I guess I can test this and see what happens.
    Video is probably in order.
    rbsride365, gbw and FASTRacing like this.
  13. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Maybe its just me, but why not get something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-...=1500394947&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+start+sport

I have one. Already used it to jumpstart wife's car and son's gizmo's on long trips.

Also, saw a YouTube video of a guy placing his AT on center stand, putting bike in 2nd gear (I believe it was second anyway; with key in on position) then wrapping tow strap around back tire and with a mighty tug, bike started up.
    DCTFAN likes this.
  14. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. That IS probably a better solution.
    As far as bump-starting on the center stand - doubt that would work with DCT.
  15. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    Yes! This! But please start the video by saying, "here, hold my beer and watch this!" :)
  16. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Good point on the DCT (manual guy myself).
    Tow strap probably not so good if total mud city but at least an alternative option.
    Microstart or equivalent brand safer and more versatile.
  17. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, all of MY videos start with my trademarked "How bad could it be? Here we go!"
    gbw likes this.
  18. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    But still requires accessing the battery terminals. The avoidance of which started this bit of conversation.
  19. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to mention this to Garrett, but then I remembered he doesn't have a center stand due to the weight!
  20. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    I wonder if you could run a adaptor from the USB port to the 12v outlet?