2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    just take it easy on the jumps and wheelies
  2. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never!
    We'll need some exta wheelieing and jumping to get to Port Orford by next Wednesday now.
  3. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have an AT but have been interested in them for some time. I keep hearing about their fork seal leaks. Aside from cleaning and removing debris as described by inmates, are there any other ways to prevent the leaks?
  4. KenCM

Oddometer:
    This problem is not inique to ATs.
    I had the same problem last year on my KTM 450. Cost me a couple days.
    But today is the first time I heard a reasonable explanation of the root cause and preventative measures.
    cateyetech likes this.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It's a common problem on bikes with USD forks, since the stanchions are closer to all the crud... In the old days, bikes with right-way-up forks didn't have so much trouble, especially if they sported old-school rubber gaiters.

You can buy neoprene sleeves that velcro around the USD fork lowers (Kriega make some for example) - and they do help to keep the dust and dirt off (which can soon dry and become course as mentioned above) - but conversely some people don't like them because if dirt and moisture gets trapped underneath them (typically after riding through muddy water for example) it can actually increase the chance of the chrome getting scratched.

Certainly it's a good idea to remove and clean them regularly - fortunately the velcro makes this easy and you can just rinse them under a tap.

Hope that helps...

Jx
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had one of those baja no pinch tire gizmo's for a year---------use it on every tire change------yes they are priceless.
  7. KenCM

Oddometer:
    About an hour into the ride today I started hearing a rattle up front.
    I figured it was the plastics comming loose or something.
    Since Garrett and I are keeping track of who necessitates the most stops, I figured I'd wait and see what would fall off and if it was worth stopping for.
    It was still rattling an hour later, so I let him lead, left a little larger gap than usual, waited until be rounded a bend and stopped real quick to check it out.
    Unfortunately, I had to take the hit for the stop.
    Fortunately, the nut that had fallen off (and was causing the rattling) was trapped and we were back riding in under 20 mins.
    See the extra space between the light and the mount on the left in the first picture?
    See the nut trapped in the second?

20170809_203534.jpg
    20170809_203508.jpg
    cateyetech and FASTRacing like this.
  8. KenCM

Oddometer:
    All makes sense.
    Thank you for taking the time to post all that.
    Looking at pictures I've taken, it is clear the forks were fully covered in mud for a couple days and never cleaned.
    I am adding "clean forks" to the end-of-day checklist.
    cateyetech, Blaise W and Aces 6 like this.
  9. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wheelie the rest of the way!
    You won't need new fork seals and 1/2s the chance of punctures!
    Save more weight by leaving the front wheel behind!
    (you may need to change the angle on your front light, but as the fittings are already loose...)
    FarmerKeith and kalonji like this.
  10. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In addition to the no pinch tool, one of these is a fantastic aid to keep the bead on one side down in the center of the rim. I don't carry my no pinch on the trail as it's awfully heavy, but I use it all the time at home. A Bead Buddy, or two of them for a tough tire, makes life a lot easier! And at least one long tire tool!
    [​IMG]
    cjbiker likes this.
  11. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Our tank bags are full:
    * A spare pair of eyeglasses (I also carry a second spare pair in with my clothes as I am so nearsighted that I am legally blind without specs amd while I once drove a car without glasses, I don't know that I am brave enough to try that on a bike)
    * Small first aid kit (Garrett took a chunk oit of his finger the other day while cleaning mud out from the front fender and has gone through so many band aids both that kit and the larger first aid kit were depleted so we had to buy a new box. I got him to carry most of them in my ongoing effort to reduce my weight at his expense - every bit helps)
    * Hand lotion (the constant dust dried my.hands out badly laat year, so I apply lotion every time we stop)
    * Water depth testing gizmo (I will post a picture of this later. There were two places last year where I chose to go an alernate route rather than either chance it without testing or to walk through first and this gizmo works amazingly well)
    * Wipes (While I use more of these for cleaning my hands, the once or twice they are necessary for the other purpose more than pays for their being readily available)
    * Nikon tough point and shoot (I despise taking pictures with a cell phone and don't really like using a point and shoot but it is my compromise. As the saying goes, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while and when I get a good shot I like to have it enlarged without aberations standing out)
    * Flashlight (one of two, the other is a headlamp at the top of the bag with camping stuff, this is a penlight. I keep it in exactly the same place without exception so if it is dark and I need a light I know where to find it. This is not only handy for when we pull into camp at night but sometimes during the day in order to see into a dark part of the bike)
    * Hatchet (We use this so frequently that there is a standing joke between us: don't leave home without it. I am sure we could make due without it, but I bet that if I said "I am leaving this behind to reduce weight" that Garrett would carry it - and Garrett took a piece of plastic off his exhaust for the sole purpose of reducing weight)
    * Mini flexible tripod (the use of this is sometimes more dangerous than riding since the timer on the camera is only ten seconds max and running over the terrain between the camera and my place in the shot somehow always takes 9 seconds, during which time my verbal countdown becomes audibly more desperate)
    * Snack (Clif bar, sunflower seeds, or the like - Garrett somehow manages to obtain, unwrap, and eat his snacks while riding. He is a much better rider than I, but this is probably his most impressive feat in my book as he somehow does it while I am trying to remember to loosen the grip on my bars)
    * A "space" pen that is small and reliable, a small multi-tool (this is where we got the small screwdriver for the FrankenFender repair), the little driver for the security screw on the GPS mount, and a lighter.

Since the tank bags are full, we had to find a spot to carry beverages. The Mosko Moto bags afford the perfect spot on both sides.
    20170809_071844.jpg
    juno, cronedo, cateyetech and 5 others like this.
  12. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Classic! and that sir, is what keeps me tuned in!!! :clap
    Blaise W and kalonji like this.
  13. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I hesitate to post this, but what the heck, the secret that I am no genius is already out.

I have one of these but when I got it, it wasn't obvious to me how it worked.
    I set it aside and have never re-visited its operation.

Now I am going to have to Google for a video.

I gave my wife the URL to this thread in order to save myself the time of texting her duplicate pictures and explanations. She sometimes accuses me of not using stuff I buy and now she will know that there is indeed one thing I don't use (sweatheart, this really is the ONLY thing I don't use and it wasn't expensive - I don't remember how much... maybe a dollar or two):imaposer
  14. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Depth testing gizmo...
    Where I normally ride there are an uncountable number of puddles. They all look the same on the surface. Some are an inch deep and some will swallow the bike over the seat.
    Worse, some are only a few inches deep along one track but a couple feet deep in spots.
    So, you either roll the dice or walk a line and theoretically there could be a gator in there.
    I once famously said "How deep can it be?" and found muself buying a new KTM 450 engine days later.
    So for a while, we largely chose to turn around when we encountered these.
    I made this gizmo mostly as a joke after discussing snorkels and fancy electronic solutions.
    It works so well and so quickly we actually use it and 9 out of 10 times ride through instead of turn back.
    20161012_085119.jpg
    JagLite, rkdwp, arghhh and 12 others like this.
  15. KenCM

Oddometer:
    So I cut the liners out of thos Klim rain gloves.
    Under the fabric liner there was, what I presume, is what provides the waterproofing.
    It is a white plastic-y liner.

Yesterday morning, after lubing the chain, I checked the weather.
    It looked like it was going to rain so I put on those gloves.

Now I'm not namimg names, but I will say it wasn't Ken who got the Blu Tac lube all over the outside of the can.

I should have cleaned my hands better before putting them in the gloves because there is a lot more "Tac" than "Blu" in that lube.
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Lol
    Good stuff fellas!
    Excellent attitudes and spirit.
    If you would, keep us posted on how you think you are doing time/distance wise as your trip unfolds as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    larryboy likes this.
  17. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    No need for video. Just stick it into the gap between the tire and rim.
    I stick it opposite the v-stern and spoon it on each side.
    Sometimes you can use the cut slot to hook onto a spoke but not really necessary. It's reach is too short for the AT fat rear anyway.
    Simple thing but does it's job.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Blaise W likes this.
  18. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Can you fish with it?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Blaise W likes this.
  19. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Fieldsheer TAT gloves -- I took them out of the box and immediately removed the liner, stuffing, and waterproof plastic-y glove. I got them for the durable armored shell (tech and leather) and Garmin touchscreen compatibility. The rain, mud, and trail helped season them nicely. My hands slip in and out smoothly, and have breathable armor protection -- with over 9,000 miles and I'm almost home. However, tacky chain lube is No Bueno... :rofl

That water depth gizmo -- trail simple, practical, effective... "Very nice"

I'm thoroughly enjoying your trials and this community forum event! :clap
    dano619 likes this.
  20. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was sneaky of you!:dirtdog Good catch on the loose nut though.:clap