2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the mid Sept to Oct being okay. My 690 is currently on a ship in the Pacific and then gets carried to Atlanta. I was hoping to get there 4th Sept...but it looks more like 10th now, and was worried about the high mountain areas and snow. I'd be gutted if I missed out on riding the main passes, so this post gives me hope. I'd rather cope with cold than hours of mud, and I will be solo. Cheers
  2. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My tank is about the same size - looks like the same tank.
    That light brings day to night within 30 yards.
    I'd do two smaller lights next time - one with a wide beam lime this and one spot for addituonal range.
    cateyetech and FASTRacing like this.
  3. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Moab or bust!
    20170814_063509.jpg
    We depart Gunnison in about 30 minutes - after consuming as much free bacon as we can before they chase us out of the breakfast bar.
  4. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Second helping. Garrett says I eat like a bear getting ready for winter.
    20170814_064642.jpg
  5. FASTRacing

FASTRacing Pant Antler

Oddometer:
    MMMmmm...BACON!!!
    cateyetech and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  6. Davel1001

Davel1001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    No puddle measuring devices, hatchets or automatic motorcycles here, just two aussies in Idaho one of who's ambition out weighed his talent yesterday. Parts of the track here would be impassable in heavy rain I'd say - otherwise the scenery is amazing! Might see you on track otherwise good luck with the rest of the trip.
    Diddly, vegemanNZ, cateyetech and 9 others like this.
  7. eh009usa

eh009usa West Chester, PA

Oddometer:
    I just took another Crestor, looking at that...:D
    Trailace likes this.
  8. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good stuff,,,Considering how much extra weight and crap you are carrying (on the bike that is :-D )...you might as well pack in as much bacon as you get, cos it ain't go matter and you'll probably need the energy to man handle the AT.

Watching and enjoying,
    Pcfly and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  9. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Corkscrew is covered with football-size rocks. You can't see them in this picture because we're past them. My stubby legs don't allow me to catch the bike before it's too late - even with the low seat.
    Solution was to remove the seat and strap it to the growing pile.
    Worked great.
    Only one issue: not recommended for anyone still desiring to sire children.

DSCN0534.JPG
  10. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Garret and I are holding up surprisingly well at altitude.
    However, the bikes are taking frequent rests. 20170814_101434.jpg
    Diddly, Comrade Art, 24EL and 15 others like this.
  11. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Ken & Garrett, when you two are done with this TAT and finish in Oregon, on the coast, I am willing to pick you both up, drive you to the airport in Portland, have you fly home, I will ship all the personal property that you want to keep, home to you, and I will give you $ 5.00 for Ken's bike, and $ 2.50 for Garrett's bike.

(yes, that is meant to be a joke) :D

These bikes are getting BEAT to death on this ride.

Feel bad for the bikes.....not the riders :p3rry:p3rry

(yes, another joke...I think?) :dunno
  12. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    I wondered how the TKC would fare strapped on at the Gunnison Quality Inn, looks like it did just fine : )

The first pic is Ophir Pass and the 2nd one appears to be down the hill from Animas Forks.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  13. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Finally out of the flat land thank God.

HUGE improvement of photos.......WOOT!

First mountain photo made my day.!

er....you guys do know I buy the first beer for ya in Corvallis Oregon if you make it up this way? Corvallis ADV meat up Tuesdays 6 ish , 1st st. Flat Tail Brew Pub.

Eugene's ADV Meat Ups are Wednesdays in the T&A part of town some where.
    kalonji and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  14. Dyrden

Dyrden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're worth wayyy more than that bud. At least 10 for Kens and 5 bucks for Garrets. Remember they just had a fork service done!
  15. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    This post by DiggerD should concern...or trouble...all of us. :imaposer

Rather than a "meet up"...I guess in Oregon, the home of the Oregon Beavers....they have a "meat up", which sounds like an erection, considering the area is filled with college age beavers....(meaning students that go to Oregon State College) ahem, ahem.....(clearing my throat as much as possible after that comment.) :knary

In the rest of the Great Pacific NorthWet, we usually have a "meet up" of fellow riders.

But hey, who am I to judge ??????:jack
    allan, arghhh, steveo555234 and 2 others like this.
  16. cateyetech

cateyetech Honky Cat

Oddometer:
    Ken & Garret that picture of both bikes down is the BEST!!!!!
    I know it's not funny but.....
    When anyone ask about BBs on the TAT I think I'll post that picture :lol3

Thanks again for the RR
    wishing ya'll a safe and unimpeded ride :thumb
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  17. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Made it to 3-step hideaway, where we are spending the night.

Putting the fresh tire on in the morning then heading into Moab to see if I can get a hemet with a visor. The dust and bugs are killing me.

Deviating from course through Moab to do the Schaefer Switchbacks.
  18. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gunnison to 3Step in one day!
    That says it all. Was it the bacon? You mysterious green drink?
    How do you guys keep hydrated?
    steveo555234, cateyetech and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    We started discussing options last evening but there are so many considerations and we were so tired that we agreed to continue over coffee in the morning.

Garrett needs to be back to work, so they are limited, and all are logistically complicated.

One option is to continue West, ship the bikes back, and we fly home. But even if we do this in the remaining time we will not have completed the entire route as we slabbed some. This is probably my preference as we will have completed something approximating what we set out to do. It would also afford me more data.

One thing that has complicated our planning while riding is an inability to reasonably estimate distances and required riding time. I have done the majority of the navigating and lately Garrett's responses to my queries about what to attempt have all included something along the lines of "as long as it's really only 4 hours and not 8" - and, of course, there is a reason he is saying that. My estimates have been way off.
    I have some ideas about how to address that and they would benefit from having data from travelling over that terrain on the big bikes.

Another option is to ride around Moab for a couple days then head back at a less rushed pace. I suspect this is Garrett's preference as the riding around here is... well, it's Moab. He said the riding we did yesterday was the best he's ever experienced.

I greatly appreciate him attempting this with me and while I have tentative plans to come back to Colorado next month to ride, it might be a year or more before Garrett could do the same. So I guess I'd like to do what he gets the greatest value from in our remaining time.

Another possibility is to go as far as Bend, OR as we have an appointment there Friday for an oil change and to put on street tires that we shipped there a week ago. Neither of us likes this option.

It's the middle of the night and I got up to see the Milky Way as there is so little light polution here, but the clear sky of a few hours ago is now clouded. The best laid plans of mice and men...
    Diddly, Hi-De-Ho, cateyetech and 6 others like this.
  20. KenCM

Oddometer:
    We slabbed a piece in the middle as I was unable to predict with reasonable accuracy when we'd get here. When we were more confident the remaining track could be completed without riding into the wee hours we switched back off-pavement.

We both have hydration packs and refill them with water typically once a day. We also usually buy a couple drinks at each stop.