2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken - fwiw. I think you've got the formulation of a plan there already - hopefully coffee will offer the clarity you need.

I don't think it's realistic to try and get to Port Orford or even Bend in two more days - not if you want to ride anything like the actual TAT route (and going via the Idaho sections would be impossible now) - at best you could dip on and off the old Nevada diagonal route, but it would be soul destroying in my opinion...

I would use the time you have left to ride around Moab, then stash the bikes at 3-Step Hideaway (they offer bike storage), and you can come back and ride back into Colorado next month from there, and arrange shipping Garrett's bike home in the meantime?

If you'd like a suggestion - I would head west from 3-Step in the morning and take Lockhart Basin Road [trail] north towards Moab - that will give you some great dirt riding and a really scenic introduction to the area around Canyonlands. If you want to ride up the Shafer Trail switchbacks, then you can return to Moab via Long Canyon/Pucker Pass, that again offers great views of the Moab Rim and La Sal Mountains.

If you like beer, then the Moab Brewery offers a great selection of microbrews and a hearty affordable menu, then in the morning - head east out of Moab along Sand Flats Road - ride some of the slickrock trails there: either Fins & Things and/or Hell's Revenge, and then head up into the La Sal mountains via La Sal Pass (my personal preference) or the easier Geyser Pass - which is essentially the TAT route in reverse - back to 3-Step?

That way you'd end this trip on a real high - and by leaving the bikes at 3-Step for a few weeks, you yourself could return and continue the TAT and fill in the data gaps if you wanted - or head back east and ride Colorado as per your original plan?

Have fun whatever you decide!

Jenny x
  2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I call 'smart riding'
    So, the green drink on your RHS mosko is a secret recipe? :)
  3. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent more money on water, gatorade and a random coke and iced coffee than I did on gas from OK until I got through eastern OR. I hit the height of the heat wave and average temps were over 100 for that period.
    You guys had a very ambitious plan. My theory, having ridden a 690, dr650, and the cb500 RR on the TAT now, at my skill/risk potential level it is much harder to keep a schedule off pavement on a bigger bike, especially solo. I stopped by the Honda dealer in Arco ID and sat on an AT. I actually had one on order one time and thought it would be the perfect bike. I was surprised at how large and heavy it felt compared to my loaded up CB.
    The bigger bikes do allow for much more enjoyable pavement detours when conditions and schedule dictate for sure.
    It took me 4-1/2 days to get through Oregon due to fires, trail conditions, road closures/construction and fatigue at that point. I probably road at least 150 miles of detours which is very time consuming as you know. I believe the latest TAT tracks in OR are around 773 miles.
    Jenny gave some good advice and my two pennies are make the rest of the trip as enjoyable as possible based on the bikes and schedule you have. I would like to add that there is a fairly new trail called Rimrocker that runs from Moab to Montrose CO that was in my plan but I had to cut out due to schedule. There is also the Rim trail as an option around Moab in addition to her excellent suggestions.

Best of luck on what ever you two decide.

4. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like your idea to stay in Moab...the riding there is phenomenal(do the whole White Rim Trail). Slab it back when you have to, then return to Moab next year and finish your trip. You guys have done the worst, so why not have a little fun and decompress a bit before heading home?
    Aces 6, Hi-De-Ho, jules083 and 5 others like this.
  5. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I've heard worse ideas for sure.

On the front brake line/low fender/mud issue...

If it were me, and it's not, I would remove the left caliper and the hose going to it. Run either the factory line to just the right caliper, or put a new line in. I don't know exactly how the AT brake hose routing is. I would rather have one brake caliper than deal with the fender clogging mud.
  6. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:

Too funny...never thought of it that way...but yea...plenty of eye candy at Flat Tail Brew pub., but few if no flat tails...wink, wink. Meat up refurring to bacon, meat loaf, burgers,,,,that kind of meat......but..have your fun...no foul. Hope you like black tight yoga pants on your girly beavers....
    Ginger Beard and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I'd split up, let Garrett free of the madness and finish what you started.
  8. Davel1001

Davel1001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're on our final push through OR now, does anyone have the latest on trail info?? Currently in Weiser, ID. Had to book accommodation ahead on the coast of Thursday night because of the eclipse, gives us 3 full days. Is this doable?
  9. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need Garrett to pick up the bike!
  10. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garrett's beard has special powers? :D
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. KenCM

Oddometer:
    So I finally figured out what the horrendous noise coming from tbe front end was when the suspension was fully compressed - and, why steering sometimes was "disabled."

Turns out the fender was getting hung up on the bash plate on the way back down.

Scott (3 step hideaway) let us use his shop to change my rear tire and adjust our chains... and, cut off enough fender to solve the interference problem.

In typical fashion...
    We fought to get the bead broken for about 20 minutes. About the time we were finishing up, Scott stopped in to see how things were coming along. We told him about fighting the bead and he said "I guess I should have pointed out the bead breaker" pointing right next to where we had been fighting the bead. :doh

20170815_102823.jpg
    Blaise W, arghhh, camperdad and 8 others like this.
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Naw, but his 25 year younger body does!
    arghhh, juno, Thunder-dog and 3 others like this.
  13. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Western part of the TAT last year about did in my stock AT suspension, it only got softer and spongier with time and if you're compressing that front like that already........take it easy......the Twins up for it but the stock suspension......not so much.

Keep it safe and keep it upright, no trophies at the coast........but the sweet ocean air is like no other:thumb Keep,up the good work boys.
    Blaise W and Dyrden like this.
  14. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    With two of you the easy way to break the bead is to use your kickstand and lean the weight of the bike on the tire. Pops easy.
    jagger_snitt, pratered and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Yep. We both know that, but were so fixated on that stubborn SOB we just kept bangin' away on it.
    cateyetech, Hi-De-Ho and FASTRacing like this.
  16. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Kudos to both Ken & Garrett for even attempting this feat. Hell, our group quit around 4 or 5 on most days just so that we could shoot the bull, setup for the night and relax. We were out to have fun.
    Personally, I wouldn't even try what these guys are doing riding into wee hours of the night in unfamiliar terrain just to start back on the trail in early morning light.

Great read though.

Jon
  17. KenCM

Oddometer:
    We decided to do a couple days in Moab and then head back to FL.
    Logistics handled. Total Cycle Solutions in Bend, OR is sending the tires they have for us (they were really great about this - thanks Peggy and Scott!), and, I got a new helmet.

I don't seem to be able to get away with riding without stuff piled up on the back of my bike.
    20170815_145653.jpg
    Dyrden, Ginger Beard, NSFW and 9 others like this.
  18. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know what this means, I got a riding partner for 2018!!! Great RR and entertaining as hell. Great job boys, safe travels.
    HotRodXR and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  19. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Ken & Garrett, kudos to both of you men for trying this. It was a huge feat, and hopefully lessons have been learned, and info shared with all of us, so that others that follow after you can benefit from your ride experiences.
  20. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the hang in Moab decision. Well tried. Hopefully Honda is watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk