2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, now patiently waiting for your WRT report......Murphys Hogback?...MORE front brake! yep , Murphy got me...........
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  2. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Enjoy Moab, I did. 133.JPG
  3. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I think you made the right call but the selfish side of me wants you to keep going. :-) Now I won't have any entertainment to look forward to. :muutt

Great report and ride.
    TreblesAllRound and Repoman87 like this.
  4. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So a couple days ago, our wives reported that they weren't seeing tracks any longer.

I've always worn the InReach in the breast pocket of my jacket as I wanted it on my body in case I really needed it and became separated from the bike.

Turns out that when I crashed, I landed on my chest. That broke the plastic clip for the hydration line which I replaced today with a $6 magnetic clip for that specific purpose at a sporting goods store in Moab.
    It also delivered an impact to the InReach that left it looking like it was working (and it appears everything else does work) but not reporting position.

So, I am looking for a better location to carry it (well, its replacement) while still having it accessible on my body and hopefully with good visibility to the sky.
    Hi-De-Ho, FASTRacing and cateyetech like this.
  5. KenCM

Oddometer:
    That green drink is actually blue. Lipton Ice Tea Blueberry flavor.
    I always buy two drinks buy make sure that one flavor is one Garret doesn't like. He won't drink blueberry :thumb
  6. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been an awesome RR. Been hooked from the beginning! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ShineySideUp likes this.
  7. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Dyrden likes this.
  8. TreblesAllRound

TreblesAllRound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the one hand it's a shame you didn't make it, on the other it's been great following along and we now have the third part of the trilogy to look forward to next year. Are you planning any spin-offs?

I've made a short summary of the story so far: https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKreFZaDXn5ejPt10n8Z (not sure how long that link will work for).
  9. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This word seems to get tossed around a lot these days, but that was "Epic" mud. I would dare to say that less than 1% of the riders on this forum have ridden that far and in that kind of mud( I know I certainly have not due to sheer luck). When I read these reports or see the hardened ruts of a once quicksand trail that I'm effortlessly flying down I always think, "Man I sure am glad I was not here [then]":pynd

Ken and Garrett, you guys have my utmost respect and your unwavering optimistic attitude made for a impressive ride and a [​IMG] trip report.
  10. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Great choice, I was hoping you would pick door #2.
    When you start to push hard against the clock accidents happen.
    Best to re-cock, re-assess and attack another day.
    Great read.
    Hi-De-Ho and kalonji like this.
  11. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's EXACTLY what worries me, going through the Ozarks today, solo, with my 600# +/- 990. Currently running Shinko's 804/805s. I've already slipped off one of the levees after hitting a mud hole, (quick 45deg, 2-3 story down hill but was able to climb back out:-)). Had enough rain/lightening, flash flood warnings yesterday that I expect MUD. Any tips through the Ozarks?
    cateyetech and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. j8848

j8848 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, two questions.
    How did the Tractionator on the rear and TKC-80 on the front hold up and perform?
    After running TAT on a big bike and a small bike which way do you think is better?
    Thanks again
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  13. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    As i stated earlier the OR tracks are 773 miles. I don't know what bikes you are on or your skill level so it is hard to say.
    My biggest issue was being solo on a 450 lb bike. It made me ride much more cautiously which causes problems on its own because sometimes aggressiveness is needed.

As far as trail conditions, with two people there should be no problem getting past the trees and slide areas. There is nothing very technical about the trails but the piles of baby heads slowed me down being solo.
    Check on current forest fires as that affected me also. It turns out I was never very close to one but being inundated with smoke and not knowing where it was caused a detour for me.

Good luck!
    Davel1001 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  14. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good decision and a super effort guys! I am totally impressed by your travels, trials, ride reports and perseverance! If you see a loaded Dakar headed west on your return let's stop and get a Gatorade or something! Are you still going to the KTM rally? After I get to Gunnison, then up to Canada, I plan to be there on the 14th
    Ccceric and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. KenCM

Oddometer:
    100 miles on the TKC80 top photo.
    4,000 miles tractionator bottom photo.
    Garrett and I both find the performance of the Tractionator equal to or superior to the TKC80 in all conditioms - on/off road and dry/wet.
    I attribute the superior performance to the use of natural rubber, but that's just my best guess.
    There is NO doubt on either of our parts that the Tractiomators are by far the better value.

20170816_074707.jpg

20170816_074657.jpg
  16. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Breakfast in Moab and then headed to the White Rim Trail.
    Glad we stayed at 3 step. Scott downloaded GPS tracks for us and gave us a heap of tips on the local riding.
    camperdad, juno, Dirtcar5 and 9 others like this.
  17. gluaisrothar

gluaisrothar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats to Ken and Garrett for doing what they did. 'Impressive' understates it. Kudos also for putting it all out there. That was brave, as I am sure you both knew you would get some criticism. I hope you are not deterred and will try again, or try some other test of your biking endurance I'll be following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HotRodXR, pratered, Capt7453 and 3 others like this.
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Mud is dogging us everywhere we go - even Canyonlands National Big Bike Motocross Park.
    20170816_110114.jpg
    misterk, arghhh, HotRodXR and 8 others like this.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and thanks to everyone who provided encouragement.
    I want to also acknowledge the fact that a number of people expressed doubt that we would accomplish our objective and that they were indeed correct.
    But I am now even more convinced that something very close to what we were trying to do is doable if the weather cooperates.
    Maybe we'll get the chance to take another whack at this taking advantage of what we've learned.
  20. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    Would you still do it on the ATs? Anything you would do to cut weight down more?
    neanderthal likes this.