2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DirtMedic

DirtMedic Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
  2. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, the ATs are nearly perfect for this route, providing there are two riders in order to get the bikes up when necessary.

I had a KTM 1190 Adv R and it would be ideal too - providing both feet can touch the ground (mine didn't).

The AT has some less than desireable characteristics. The suspension, for example. Interestingly, the suspension wasn't much of a detriment when riding fully loaded.

There are some other little things on the AT, like the initial throttle response not being smooth - but one gets accustomed to them.

Because we could (and did) run late into the night, we camped only the night before departing! So, I wouldn't take any camping gear. Would want to figure out something for an emergency. Maybe a bivy?
  3. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip.
    Tried it to no avail.
    Replacement arriving tomorrow.
    DirtMedic, cateyetech and FASTRacing like this.
  4. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    What tire pressure are you running?
  5. KenCM

Oddometer:
    32 psi front
    40 psi rear

Dropped that to 22 psi front and 25 psi rear when we rode wothout gear arond Moab.

At home in the sand we run 18 psi front and 20 psi rear.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  6. JMMoe

JMMoe n00b

Oddometer:
    I am so proud of Ken and Garrett! Ken, your determination and perseverance shines in this trip. I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate and learn from your accomplishments and experiences.. thank you.
    HotRodXR likes this.
  7. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott and Julie are the best.

Looking forward to your Moab adventures!

Pcfly, Drumbrakes and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  8. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder why large DS bikes wouldn't run the most aggressive DOT tire they could run - considering 90% will be off road for TAT routes? Ie 606 or 908's?

Or the mud encountered, nothing would have helped?

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i4bikes likes this.
  9. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mud that causes the major problems usually isn't deep. Only and inch or so sitting on top of hard pack which makes it very slick. Try to pick up the bike and either it or you slide. It is also sticky so even the most aggressive tires pack up and with it being so slick you can't get the speed up to throw it out. Even small bikes with aggressive tires will bail to pavement because of it. That isn't to say 606s wouldn't be better at times but they would pack up too in this stuff.

Weather just didn't cooperate with them. We've had a wetter than normal August down south. Normally the temp and humidity would be the major factor but this year it has been rain.
  10. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    I was using 606's today. They didn't help. (Not on TAT) IMG_1784.JPG
    jagger_snitt, arghhh, DCTFAN and 4 others like this.
  11. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I need to carry a few more D-shackles and extra rope, so I could give myself a chance at self-extraction. Hopefully in another 3-4 the tracks improve.
    V
    kalonji likes this.
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Here's that same photo from a different angle, which I believe better shows the obvious overloading.

DSCN0324.JPG
    arghhh and FASTRacing like this.
  13. KenCM

Oddometer:
    The location is near Pickwick Dam.
    First image is our tracks from this year. The snaky portion is going up and coming back down on a power line right of way.
    Second image is a satellite image of the snaky portion of our track.
    Third image is my tracks from last year overlaying the planned route. My track is green; Sam's route is yellow.
    If anyone knows the scoop here, I'd sure like to hear about it. We spent considerable time looking for any possible way down and could not find one.

upload_2017-8-21_14-19-9.png

upload_2017-8-21_14-35-34.png

upload_2017-8-21_14-34-18.png
  14. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Southern mud is a biatch! Regardless of what type of knobbies the odds of going down are high (not the TAT but only a few hours north).
    Muddy Hill Climb.JPG
    arghhh and pratered like this.
  15. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sam's maps and the GPS track from 2015 stick to the road, rather than going along that trail.
    Both go along Wharf Road and Power Lane. They do however attempt to join the 128 where it's elevated, instead of heading North along Sportsman Road.

From the aerial photography, the roads there haven't changed in 20 years.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TreblesAllRound likes this.
  16. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I bought the GPS tracks in 2016.
    I'm guessing the 2016 track was a not-entirely-carefully-placed attempt to correct the minor 2015 track error.
    It's just coincidence that there is a right of way where the 2016 track ended up.
    Wow.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  17. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strange, cos Sam's Roll Chart has it spot on.
    [​IMG]
    Which looks like this, when you plot it out:
    [​IMG]
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    By the way...

Garrett and I made it home last night.

We (reluctantly) left 3-Step Friday morning and spent the night in Oklahoma City - 850 miles.
    Saturday, we rode to Searcy, OK where we spent a few hours visiting the folks at Sunrise Honda to deal with the damage my bike had sustained and then proceeded to Hamilton, AL - 600 miles.
    Sunday we rode the remaining 675 miles home.

Garrett had told me Saturday night that he was anxious to see his family and as we got near downtown Birmingham I found out how anxious.
    When I slowed because the speed limit dropped to 40 MPH, he went by and disappeared from my view within a minute and I haven't seen him since.

At my last fuel stop, I got a text from him that his youngest son was so happy to see him that the boy nearly knocked him off his bike when he pulled in the drive.
    Given his warning and my proclivity for falling over, I jumped off my bike as soon as I pulled in my drive; which turned out to be prudent as my wife was indeed out the door within seconds.
    She's so happy to have me around I haven't yet worked up the courage to tell her I'm going to have to re-try this trip sooner rather than later.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but I just went back to the email I received from Sam with the tracks in July, 2016 and imported them into Google Earth - result below.

Again, I suspect this resulted from an attempt to correct the minor error in the 2015 GPS tracks.

The coincidence that there is actually a trail there is hilarious - especially since there's no way to get down the hundred or so feet to the road.
    upload_2017-8-21_16-17-27.png
    cateyetech and FASTRacing like this.
  20. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another home run!
    Loved your trip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk