2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    holy shit...talk about overloading! having that weight, especially up high is just going to be a massive lever pulling you over, the moment the bike starts to tip...you'll have no chance.
  2. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder why he won't ride his AT off-road with us? :hmmmmm
    arghhh, cateyetech and FASTRacing like this.
  3. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Activating my new InReach was a snap - once someone from Garmin called me back (I opted for the callback in 40 minutes (interestingly, they specified that the longest time it would be was a rather precise 29 minutes) rather than waiting on hold).
    I wasn't able to do this Friday evening when I received the new package because they were already closed and they were also closed all weekend.
    To transfer an InReach account from one device to another requires Garmin do it - you can't do this from their website.

After switching over, I tore into the bad device to see what I could see.
    No obvious damage. Must have been shock to the GPS module (I get an error that I never saw before the accident that indicates the GPS isn't accurate) - it still sends messages and works OK for about the first 10 minutes; after that, no more tracking information is sent.

The part at the bottom of the second picture is the Iridium radio. Notice the antenna that fits up into the stub on the case is helical.

Still trying to figure out where to put this in order to keep it on my body in case I need it after separating with the bike, afford it some greater level of protection, and keep the sky visible to the device.
    P8210004.JPG
    P8210007.JPG
    FASTRacing likes this.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I have carried my inreach in my jacket pockets and have never had an issue with it recording my location nor receiving messages. Tried it on the front breast pocket for a while because I was wondering if it would perform better there, but quit as it was a little less comfortable with no change in performance.

Now remembering to keep it charged on the other hand... I need checklists like you have.
  5. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    regarding pickwick dam, I'm looking at the tracks I have and kev's 2014 tracks are a bit north of Savannah HW128 so maybe that's the section to do to miss it all out

The top map is your one, AND it includes a section in grey that bypasses the section you are talking about.

Kev's map from 2014 is below that for reference

Looks like the 2 versions makes for 2 different rides huh..

Screenshot (12)_LI.jpg Screenshot (13).png
  6. Kilmern

Kilmern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have off sept 7th-oct 7th
    TreblesAllRound likes this.
  7. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Gen3 SPOT and have for years hung it off my Motport jacket with a caribener clip. Easy access and fairly secure.
  8. KenCM

Oddometer:
    She's gonna KILL me.
    Maybe I can have the Desert Sled set up by then.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  9. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    Bailing on Nottarally???
  10. Kilmern

Kilmern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the end of the month...plenty of time
    kalonji likes this.
  11. Mick80

Mick80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop. Problem solved.

My travelling partner and I anticipated seeing you guys in Port Orford had you made your schedule.

In the words of my mate, " That is one of the most impressive and tenacious efforts I have ever seen". The challenges you were facing made us realise just how easy we had it.

Most inspiring.

Good luck with your next attempt and the air really is much sweeter standing on that beach.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
  12. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad u 2 r home safe.......thanks for takin us along......waiting for the next ADVENTURE!!
  13. Davel1001

Davel1001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel like smashing out 600mile tarmac days after not quite making the coast would just add insult to injury.

Great effort fellas. I feel rather than gathering data on minutia details like the time spent on hold to Garmin, and a puddle measuring device that looks like a sex toy, I'd suggest packing light (merino wool is where it's at), get a bike that fits, don't set an unreasonable time, and get off advrider every night and just ride!

Looking forward to the 4th crossing attempt.
  14. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you using the "pleather" Spot case and is that were the little carabiner is clipped? If so, I would not do that anymore, take a look at the flimsy pleather slot/tab that the carabiner hooks to...it's really thin and weak. I lost my Spot on it's first trail ride and all I had left was the stupid little carabiner.....
  15. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Um...
    Did you say the old one stopped working at the about the same time you got a magnetic hydration pack clip?
    A magnet stuck to your chest next to your GPS?
    I hope that's a coincidence.
    Davel1001 likes this.
  16. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Not even a coincidence.
    The magnet wasn't added until days after the InReach stopped working.

The old one stopped working after I was slammed to the ground face-first with it in my breast pocket.
    I noticed the clip on the case was bent that evening, but otherwise it looked OK and appeared to work.
    I described the terminal part of the crash as follows: "It was like the Hulk picked me up by my ankles, swung me around 360 degrees, and then slammed me face-first into the ground."

One of the things I've discovered is how truly effective all this protective gear is that I wear.
    My body doesn't (usually) get beat up nearly as bad as others who see my crashes expect it to be.
    I often hear something along the lines of "Are you SURE you're OK? Because I thought you might be dead!"
    Garrett claims we could have a highly profitable YouTube channel by him just following me with a GoPro filming my crashes.

Point is that that crash bent the substantial AltRider crash bars into the mid cowel and busted it, scratched up the windshield, busted off the front turn signal, bent and busted a number of other things, and totaled my helmet.
    As the bike skid sideways and the tires grabbed, almost all forward momentum (between 25 - 30 MPH) was transferred to angular momentum.
    It was a heck of a crash - and the InReach being on the outside my gear underwent substantial shock.
  17. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Ordered.
    Thanks.
    Still trying to figure out exactly WHERE to wear it in order to minimize potential damage.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Your suggestions are all very reasonable - which largely rules them out for me :lol2
    The reasonable thing to do would be putt around on a shorter bike.
    But as G.B. Shaw said "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

The trouble is, almost nothing gives me as much pleasure as sliding or jumping a fully loaded adventure bike.
    Of course it's stupid - that's why I'm grinning the entire time!
    That requires suspension, which largely translates to seat height.
    This is less of a problem as my skills improve.

Many folks laugh at the puddle depth finder.
    I let them go first.
    After they have finished pushing their bike to the other side, I motor through nice as you please, having mapped the bottom.
    Guess who goes first and who follows in his tracks at the next puddle :)

4th crossing attempt? :dunno
    I've only been riding three years.
    Last year I successfully completed the journey in 20 riding days.
    This year Garrett and I made it to Utah in 10.
    My next attempt will be the 3rd.

Posting on ADVRider has been absolutely invaluable.
    I'll likely do more rather than less in the future.
    Inmates helped us quickly find a good dealer nearby to repair our bikes, helped us understand how our ignorance had caused our problem and how to avoid it in the future, offered re-route suggestions, gave us a few laughs (that Star Wars bit had us rolling), and provided encouragement and other useful suggestions.

Thanks for the note. Didn't intend to pick it apart. Just wanted to explain a bit about why we did this the way we did.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Wanted to make a point of saying thanks for your suggestions.
    Last year, when my forks seals were replaced in Gunnison, Fritz recommended I have him install a set of these and I did.
    But I thought it required the forks be out of the triple clamp and I never took a close look as I traded that bike in at the end of the ride.
    In following up on your post, I see these actually split apart so disassembly of the fork is not required.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they make a scraper for the AT.
    They offer Showa 45mm seal kits, but no scrapers in that small a diameter.
    Am I missing something?
    FASTRacing likes this.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken - if you wear a Camelbak style hydration bladder, you can fix the Giant Loop Inreach/SPOT holder to the strap just forward of either shoulder - that way it's pretty well protected if you fall, and you can still reach it with either hand.

Jx
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.