2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are so many factors involved that I don't believe there is a universal answer.

There is a personal preference part. Garret and I have an acquaintance who can absolutely smoke us in the sand on small bikes. Yet he has an AT which he won't ride off-road because he isn't "comfortable" on it and is concerned he's going to injure himself.

Then there is the less subjective part. Putting the same amount of gear on a big bike has less of an impact on that bike's performance than putting that same amount of gear on a smaller bike.
    I believe a large bike is also less fatiguing than a small bike on easier terrain - like that which constitutes most of the TAT.
    I distinctly remember being very uncomfortable riding my loaded 450 on the freeway at 70 MPH whereas it's hard not to go 80 or 90 with the AT under similar conditions.

I think the KTM 500 EXCF would be a fine bike to do this on - especially if you are comfortable with it.

I'd like to do the whole coast-to-coast thing again.
    Looks like I might go to the KTM Rally in Crested Butte next month by way of Andrews to Gunnison on the TAT route with a buddy.
    That'd give me a chance to see what the first half of the route is like in September.

You might consider starting in Daytona Beach and going through Ocala National Forest.
    That'd give you a closer start to your origin plus a true coast-to-coast.
    The only reason we didn't do that this year was because I wanted to do the same route I rode last year.
    cateyetech and FASTRacing like this.
  2. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    I'm trying to work out the logistics to test that theory for the first half of the route next month.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  3. Dyrden

Dyrden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few buddies and I are riding up to Orlando in a couple of weeks to catch the autotrain to Virginia. Then doing the ny leg of gps kevs routes down to Mississippi and then heading over to Barber Motorsports park for the vintage bike weekend. I think the tickets are like 250 bucks and you fast forward out of Florida.
    Hulluvatime likes this.
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you set out to do the TAT in just 12 days, on a big bike, with that load on the back? You might not score well on critical thinking but I give you an A+++ for determination!

:D

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard, juno and BoneDigger like this.
  5. Hulluvatime

Hulluvatime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at that option as well, but I believe it was more expensive and not as flexible as renting a one-way truck.
  6. Hulluvatime

Oddometer:
    I'm probably similar to your friend. Ex-MX and scrambles rider so I'm comfortable on the KTM 500, but not really comfortable on the road on any bike. AT feels really good for a combo bike though.

I will probably be riding with my retired cop brother-in-law on a KLR 650 and his fireman brother on a GS1200 so we will be having to slow down for someone no matter the conditions. The fireman lives in Jacksonville so it might make sense to just start from there.

From a fellow Floridian and EE, thanks for the very entertaining RR and useful tips.
  7. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the awesome conversation going on. I don't look at it as right wrong or indifferent. You guys did what you wanted, got input, we learned, we are happy to go forward, you enjoyed, we all want the drive you had and look forward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    kalonji likes this.
  8. KenCM

Oddometer:
    That was a friend's bike for a weekend trip.
    I'd hate to see what he would pack for weeks on the trail.
  9. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken -Great report!

Did you do cornerspin in 2014? Might have been in the same class.

Autotrain is a great experience - if it is your first time the link in my sig has some hints and review :deal

Edit: signatures not shown in mobile app :http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-train-the-city-the-ridge-blue-ridge-parkway.1241102/
  10. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Aaron sent an email with our class picture just a few weeks ago.
    upload_2017-8-22_22-7-45.png
    kvango and FASTRacing like this.
  11. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, Ken,

Did you ever encounter a situation where you felt it was impossible to pick up the AT by yourself? I ask because I've only had the AT for a couple of months now, and travel mostly solo.

Also, I did a casual test of downhill braking on my DCT, and found that in 1st gear going downhill, it would top out at around 11-12 mph. Did you happen to make note of the max downhill speed in 1st on the manual?

Thanks, Ken

Bill
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    On one occasion, two of us were unable to pick it up and required two additional adult males. This was on a downhill mountain pass.
    On another occassion, in Moab, without luggage, it took two of us about 30 minutes to get the bike up as after falling it slid back and hooked itself on a rock. The sidestand and center stand were locked on that rock and the bike was on a 30 degree slope. We ended up digging the rock out before we could move the bike.
    On many other occasions I could not have picked it up myself - at least not without first removing the luggage.
    I am able to pick it up myself without the luggage.
    EDIT: I am able to GENERALLY pick it up myself without the luggage on mostly level ground that isn't slippery. On sloped ground it is sometimes possible to rotate the bike before picking it up. But on narrow mountain trails it is sometimes not feasible to rotate the bike as it is too close to the edge.

When you did that downhill test were you riding down a 45 degree slope?
    Also, the problem (in my opinion) with the DCT on a treacherous downhill is trying to keep the bike below a few MPH - literally walking speed. At 2 MPH and idle it was trying to go faster when faster was highly undesirable.
  13. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be at the KTM Rally next month....
  14. Hulluvatime

Oddometer:
    At Crested Butte? Looks like registration is full.
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I registered last year, at last years Rally.
  16. Hulluvatime

Oddometer:
    Was checking for me :)
  17. KenCM

Oddometer:
    There were spots yesterday, but today it is indeed full.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  18. mpusms

mpusms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just realized you guys made it home. Congrats on great RR and I appreciate the entertainment and education. Best of luck next time and looking forward to another great adventure.
  19. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol yep, I am in orange on the right. Cornerspin :super

Informative and entertaining RR — and curious what you will do with the Desert Sled. I checked one out at Euro Cycles - fun bike!
  20. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I bought mine from EuroCycles - was just there today getting the heated grips put on.
    I'm working on getting it farkled out in time to ride it to the KTM Rally in Crested Butte Sep 15.
    I'm planning on taking the TAT route on the DS.
    kvango likes this.