2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ken, I will contact them tomorrow (Monday) to see what my options are. I am registered but due to my crash N of Tahlequah, OK and a couple broken bones I will be unable to attend.:( Let me know if interested.
  2. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I am already registered.
  3. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cannot agree with you more wholeheartedly! I paid $200 almost for these for a ride across southern Africa, and by the end of the month, the inner liner was workng loose. I had to hack the whole nasty inner crap out of it. Worst $200 i ever spent on a motorcycle gear. Shame on Klim. Really bad stuff.
  4. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think all waterproof fancy gloves suffer this. I have Alpinestars 365 goretex which again are supposed to waterproof and awesome...yet suffer exactly the same issues you mention. It's absolute pain in the arse when you take the wet glove off and can't get the fingers back in. I consciously take them off real slow to minimise the effect but I still get caught out. Basically I now carry another set of gloves that aren't lined...just so I can swap them over. It's crazy that expensive waterproof units perform shit!
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not trying to hijack Kens thread but his trip reports are typically about pushing the envelope in one way or another and lessons learned along the way!

On the subject of using and picking up a heavier bike, I just finished a coast to coast run on my CB500x with the RR kit. It is about 70 lbs lighter wet with no gear then a manual AT. I have also done portions on my 690 which is almost 200 lbs lighter than the AT, and about 40 -50 lbs heavier then the 500???
    I was solo on both bikes and it affected my riding psychologically. On the 690 I had no qualms about being able to pick up the bike anywhere so it did not affect my riding style. On the CB i rode less aggressively because I knew it would be much harder to pick up. I did drop it three times, all in less then ideal spots for picking it up.
    The drop on the craters of the moon deeply rutted road required me to unload the bike and drag it bit by bit on its side until both wheels were close enough to one rut. I also had to use a dead lift type squat on the handle bar because of the footing. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to get it up and repacked due to the 100+ temps and taking a few breaks.
    The other two times were on scree loaded downhills in Oregon which required locking the front brake with velcro, repositioning the bike unloaded and using the dead lift on the handlebar.
    As Ken stated, with the heavier bikes you can make good time more comfortably on most sections of the TAT if you have two people to recover from any mishaps. I doubt I would have dropped the bike on any of my falls if I had a second person around because I was carrying too slow a speed to power up enough to recover.
    Weight is a consideration if you are riding solo. And age also. You younger guys are probably as comfortable and more aggressive on a lighter bike than an older person like me on a heavier bike!
    I also have to add that i had a recent bicep injury that I have not fully recovered from. Without that I could have picked up the CB without unloading it.
    Thanks again Ken for taking us on another adventure. Looking forward to the reports on the desert sled!
  6. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    And another hijack related to you folks leaving from florida to do the TAT. There is a thread a few months back where an inmate resurrected/modified the old TET south tracks which loop through the top of the FL panhandle and AL, GA, SC, NC and TN if you want to do some off road to get to the TAT. I have done about half of the old ones and they are a nice alternative to slabbing it.
  7. akshaymurthy

akshaymurthy Thumping Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good detailed ride report......:thumbup
  8. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too am concerned about getting my loaded pig up from a dirt nap. I have done it on perfectly flat ground, but i swear I could taste my spleen when the damn thing was back on its sidestand.

I'm going to try the strap trick. Two short straps with loops at each end ( like the ones used to tie bikes down on a trailer). Loop one end around wrists, the other around handle bar and rear point like saddlebag rack. Squat without bending over and dead lift until you can shove a knee under there and reposition your grip, then complete the recovery.

Anyway, the straps are cheap, so i figure it's worth a try.
    juno likes this.
  9. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried this technique and found that it was more difficult to get a decent grip at the right height to lift using straps. Ended up using the ol 'turn the handlebar' method most of the time. When that didn't work, I had to unpack and lift the bike unloaded, then repack.

10. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, i think the straps need to be custom length to each rider....if remember right. Since I'm 6'4" bending over or squatting low enough is a challenge with "bike that sleeps like pancake".
  11. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I ordered one of these: MotoBikeJack
    It's a long-shot, but I'll give it a try.
    Even though my wife claims I'm 58 going on 15, I have no delusions about the ongoing inevitable decline of my physical ability - which wouldn't have enabled me to pick one of these loaded adventure bikes up even in my prime.
    I VERY much prefer the larger bikes and I ride by myself a lot.

I'm going to open it carefully, keep the packaging, and if it doesn't work out, clean it up and give it to Garrett as a Christmas present :D

I really enjoyed riding with Garrett and can't imagine a better riding partner, but I also like riding by myself so would like to figure something out that would allow me to pick up one of these bigger bikes loaded.
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Finally got time to write Klim about these gloves.
    Sending the gloves back to them with a letter encouraging them to develop and manufacture a glove that actually delivers on the promise of these.
    Included the feedback I got when I made the original posting as evidence of the fundamental nature of the problem and the need for a solution.
    Ol Man likes this.
  13. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice find! It is a little bulky for a dual sport but i would have loved to have it when I was solo on the TAT. Let me know how it works out!

14. KenCM

Oddometer:
    If it works, it'll be worth it.
    Very much like the relatively heavy Baja No-Pinch tire tool.
    When you need it, you're happy to have carried the weight - or had a friend that did :photog
    Midwesttrekker, juno and larryboy like this.
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Baja No Pinch Tire tool yesterday....
  16. JNXPILOT

JNXPILOT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In another life, I rode around on an Ultra Classic. There are multiple youtube videos of little girls picking these things up. The problem was I didn't always have a little girl with me.
  17. Importance

Importance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what the "fastest known time" (fkt) is for the riding the TAT coast to coast on a motorcycle unsupported?
    MCCOYBOY and AT Blizzard like this.
  18. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great question.

Longer discussion is -- Which TAT? How do you account for work-arounds based on a multitude of factors? Unlike the Appalachian Trail which is marked by a White Blazes at regular intervals, there is no such consistent formality with the TAT. And it is a work in progress.

IMG_1192.JPG
    [This was an official-looking sign (not somebody's Logo or self-proclaimed TAT) -- I can't confirm what it means...] :D

Now, if like the Dakar Rally, they officially update, certify, and set it up like a course -- than there could be a truer measurement of achievement based on the calendar and clock.

I did the TAT as a personal adventure, not a race. But, if they ever did set it up like that, I would be on a different Mount -- taking a shot at the record!

Attached Files:

powderzone, juno and i4bikes like this.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    Then there is the question of elapsed time or riding time or some hybrid?
    Also, what "rules?" Obeying speed limits? Obeying them under certain circumstances?
    FWIW, it took me 20 riding days solo last year (Sam's route) over 20 calendar days as I was down for two days for repairs. But that was from Jeckyll Island, GA in the East.
    phreakingeek and AT Blizzard like this.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Gaspipe and BigDog on the original TAT thru Nevada, 17 days IIRC.