2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    I like how the website advertises that other people only show bike recovery techniques on flat solid ground. Never on uneven, slopes or rocky terrain. Then their demonstration video is in a driveway with a foam protected motorcycle.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice simple design and a good idea... just don't bash the other people and then follow them down the same path.

@KenCM you need to make them a better demonstration video for their website.
  2. Lutarious

Lutarious Renaissance Man

Oddometer:
    They are in Tenessee. Where are they gonna find a newspaper?
  3. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We discovered it takes a LOT of newspaper to stuff a couple pair of boots.
    Also figured out that stuffing once for a few hours and then a second time overnight was worth the effort.
    Getting all that newspaper while traveling ain't easy.

We were usually looking for papers later in the evening, after no one was likely to need a newspaper, and would put our 50 cents into a paper box and take all the remaining papers but one.

I did this one evening outside a quickie shop down the street from where we were spending the night.
    I'd struck pay dirt and had quite a few papers.

Long story short, I was in shorts, a T-shirt, and sandals instead of riding gear and the difference in thickness between the soles of the sandals and those of my riding boots became evident when I dropped the bike.
    The papers fanned out in the parking lot like a magician fanning a deck of cards.
    A couple young guys getting gas came over to help pick things up.
    When the one that picked up my papers handed them back to me he said "Good luck with your deliveries."
    I'm still not sure if he knew and was making light, or if he thought I was a paper delivery boy.
  4. Hulluvatime

Hulluvatime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken, When did you leave last year and when would you want to leave next year? We're having to make that decision shortly. Originally planning on mid-May departure, but thinking later would be better.
  5. KenCM

Oddometer:
    We left August 4th and I'd leave 2 weeks later in an effort to avoid the rain in the central US that seems to come at that time.
    Most folks time their departure to ensure they can get through the mountain passes after they have likely thawed and before they likely get snowed in.
  6. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread, saw the photos of Corkscrew. Rode down that on my unladen Killer650 this summer and cried silently in fear the whole way. Props to you two for riding the San Juans fully loaded. BBBBBAAAALLLSS
    norton(kel) likes this.
  7. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of your readers might be interested in this. I ride the TAT, TCAT, GDR and others solo on my KLR650. To lift the loaded bike after an injury to one leg I started using the jack end of an 18 wheeler trailer load minder bar - looks like an old bumper jack. It cost about $50 and will lift the KLR with 100 pounds of gear. I tried a $10 one for SUVs and pickups from Walmart, but it was too light and started slipping after three lifts.
    black top bob likes this.
  8. IFriedman

IFriedman n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing Report. Super thorough. I'd love to get a concise point by point navigation of your trip if possible, where you started and ended each day. It is my dream to eventually complete this ride, so i figured its never too early to start researching.
  9. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I followed Sam's route so if you get the maps from that year you have the route. But, I'd buy Sam's current maps. As far as daily... I basically just doubled up - so you could just do two days of map each day. That's pretty reasonable if you focus on riding.
    EDIT: Oops. On the Hatfield McCoy trails so on a small device and thought this was a different thread. We did follow Sam's route on this ride but just rode and rode until it was past time to stop and then did so.
    IFriedman likes this.
  10. IFriedman

IFriedman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hahaha fantastic. Love the determination.
  11. IFriedman

IFriedman n00b

Oddometer:
    If you wouldn't mind, I'd love if you could share your list of what you packed, so I can get an idea and starting point.
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    IFriedman likes this.