2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same problem/frustrations with my Held rain gloves. Work great until you have to take your hand out and it gets wet before re-inserting, which is almost inevitable.

For wet boots stuff crumpled up newspaper in them overnight to draw out a lot of moisture. Amazing how well it works.
    MX Engineer and juno like this.
  2. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd just remove (cut out) the liner and keep the shell. That's how I roll in the summer rainy season (both my Fieldsheer and Deer Skin gloves) -- the tech shell and leather breathes well and dries nicely, and the liners are too warm and clingy anyway.

Your adventure reminds me of the BMW Trophy events, except only two of you to work as a team to overcome obstacles. :clap
    DCTFAN likes this.
  3. TreblesAllRound

TreblesAllRound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently preparing to do the TAT at the start of September. I've read all of your planning thread too and picked up quite a few useful titbits. Even if all the information you're providing weren't directly relevant to my planning, this is very entertaining stuff!

I hope the weather improves and make sure you look after each other as tiredness sets in. We're willing you both on.
    gluaisrothar likes this.
  4. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Go to an auto parts store and get some work gloves, 2 pair, nylon for hot and wet, leather for cold. 20 bucks for both.

Or better yet, last week in the Salida Walmart (you're going by it) I picked up some that were leather on the palms and nylon on the outside (breathable), $12. Love em, and I've had all the expensive crap.

As posted above, newspaper stuffed in the boots overnight works, dry the next morning.
    swamp likes this.
  5. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-orsa-leather-mk2-gloves.
    Nice and cool in warm weather (anything above 10 celcius or 50 Farenheits counts as warm)

No liner needed. I just turned my heated grips on when I reaced the Rockies.

As for boots, if newspaper doesn't dry quick enough, nappies (Diapers?) work even better. Readily available in most small stores, and it doesn't matter if they are for any specific age, girls or boys, just get the cheapest / smallest pack.
  6. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    False track this morning took us on an adventure.
    We are faithfully following Sam's tracks but this is one I cannot believe was ever passable. Consumed about an hour getting up, looking around and finding no way out, and then getting down.
    I went down trying to go up.
    Garrett fell over at the top turning around -ha![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  7. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought you were following the tracks from your trip last year?
    I don't remember anything like that in Tennessee, but it seems Sam's Roll Charts and Sam's GPS tracks are different in places.
    Not including mud, we hit nothing significantly challenging until AR mile 363, which came as a total surprise.
  8. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following day by day. Sam's tracks were great for us on the original TAT; only one bad turn on the entire trip. I think they have changed a lot since 2010, and are MUCH easier out West.

Not being critical, but my goodness you boys are packing a LOT of gear. Did you perchance weigh it before leaving? Just curious. My group of long route riders have it down to 45 pounds, not counting what we wear. I'm surprised that you haven't visited a post office yet to send excess things home. Returning from MextoCan all three of us weighed our gear, including everything (water too) except for our underwear (literally) and we were all within a pound or two of 65 pounds. If you can lighten up it will make a big difference!

I'm really interested how you do on the AT as I have one too, although no long adv rides on it yet. A buddy joined for the Western TAT on his last year and ripped it. Keep your wheels pointed WEST!
    kalonji likes this.
  9. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Great attitude fellas.
    Westward ho !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I still kept the tomahawk and disc ball:jack

Don't worry.......you guys are fine.......this is too much stuff!:lol3

IMG_4724.JPG
  11. garrett3

garrett3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't weigh mine but all Kens gear is 55lbs and I'm lighter. Bikes are rocking and rolling just fine.
    AT Blizzard, Aces 6, Pcfly and 3 others like this.
  12. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent!

Since PCFly volunteered to show his bike, let it be known that he was the AT rider I referred to above. Just have to tell this story....

PCFly joined us in Gunnison and when I went to his room all his gear was spread out. It covered the room, floor, and furniture. I flipped out a little and started tossing stuff he didn't need onto the bed. He boxed up, as I recall, 30 pounds of stuff, and shipped it home. I won't even go into the things he was bringing, but we still get a laugh out of it. First long adventure ride and do things to a guy......
  13. BRMR

BRMR n00b

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed talking to you this morning in Savannah, TN
  14. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's your mileage so far? Are you making the progress you were hoping for? I've been tuned in and intrigued by your goal. I was just talking about giving it a go in the future with my better half so I'll be taking notes. Good luck and safe travels.
  15. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was at 363? And 363 from where? (I'll be there early next week!)
  16. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job guys! And appreciate the ride report. Very entertaining!
  17. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    Interested in this as well. It will be hard to make up mileage on 500 mile days.
  18. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    AFAIK, the only challenge in AR, aka Warloop Rd. about 363 miles from state line.
  19. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made Batesville, MS.
    Discovered the fatal flaw of DCT...
    At speeds below about 10 MPH not only is there no engine braking, but it actually pushes. So going down a muddy hill is a new kind of adventure. Adding insult to injury, when moving you can't shift into neutral.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  20. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ken,

Were you using manual mode, and in 1st gear, or were you in one of the auto modes?

Bill