2017 TAT planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ruans187, Nov 1, 2016.

1. eh009usa

eh009usa West Chester, PA

Oddometer:
    My plan is klim (Badlands) gear for the ride with an MX style jersey, cool max shirt base layer in the hot stuff. Was going to wear my vented (mesh) Revit gear, but we'll be at the end of August/early September in the mountains. Badlands gear is pretty vented and I'm trying not to bring the kitchen sink. Jacket will probably live in my 60L Drybag with my camping gear until I need it. All of my base layers are wicking/performance gear, that's what it's for so I'll let it perform:-). 2nd part of my trip with DCTfan is from Seattle east over the mountains where it'll be colder. I don't trust the mesh gear to handle it, and I'd have to bring rain gear (more crap). I'm adaptable so that may change along the way...
  2. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    I will be traveling from TN to Colorado in early-mid September. I am bringing my Revit mesh jacket and pants, and also a Klim Blade Gore-Tex jacket with all the pads removed for smaller packing. I can wear Gore-Tex over the mesh jacket, or just borrow the pads from it. Also bringing thin packable rain pants, in case it rains or gets cold in mesh. Cold is easier to manage than heat.
  3. ButchCoolidge

ButchCoolidge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm also planning a TAT trip. I live only 1 1/2 hours away from the start in Tellico and would be easy to start there but Im afraid I don't have time. I only have three weeks an not enough time to get back. So, I'm thinking on driving to Boise City, OK in the truck and start from there. I'm looking at mid to late August.
  4. MX Engineer

Oddometer:
    Is Tellico to Colorado all mostly flat and non-technical? Just wondering because I will be on my big fat KTM.
  5. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, mostly. There is very little technical riding till you get to the passes in CO. I rode a 1200 Tenere without issue. The real wildcard to any comments on technical difficulty of the TAT before CO is HIGHLY dependent upon the weather. I had merciless heat so the roads were dry and packed - easy to ride on. I cannot fathom the depths of hell some of these roads would be (especially in OK) if it has been rainy. Looking back at my trip I can truly appreciate now that I was lucky to be dealing with 100+ degree temps rather than the kind of mud that those roads would produce.
  6. MX Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, this is good to know. I will be on extra knobby (for a fat bike) tires, just in case.
  7. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be forewarned.... 8-10hr days in extreme heat on a big bike that is made heavier by you and gear will DESTROY knobbies way way faster than you would anticipate. I was getting 50-60% of the life on tires back at home. Plan accordingly for tire drops or shops to get new shoes on the big beast. I did the 6100 miles in 3 rears and 2 fronts but would have far preferred 4 rears.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
  8. MX Engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. We will be riding to a KTM Rally in Crested Butte, CO. There are usually tire vendors there at the rally, so we just need the tires that are good enough for a 1-way trip.
  9. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hosting the file. This thread has helped me a lot for my planned trip in two weeks.

Seems a lot of folks are downloading from your website.
    While preparing the GPS and running the 2017 TAT Roll Call thread,
    I've compiled some known issues reported by riders on the other thread:

Kevins track as it is today:
    1. The main track that goes thru the Smoky Mtn to Cades Cove which is a dead end.
    The trail is known as Parsons Branch (closed) and used to dump you in the middle of the Dragon (hwy129)
    If you follow track into Cades Cove, there is no other way out but backtracking in heavy traffic.
    Route to the EZ option which is the Foothills Pkwy.
    2. Here is some trail (gpsKevin) news that may be worth noting (not verified in any way)
    TAT Section 12 Counce TN to Ripley MS

Known issues with SamC track:

& you need to route around this:
    :
    PS. no problems with Sam's track thru GA. I verified it by riding it on 8/6; no bridge out nor any signs of a bridge having been out.
    steveo555234 likes this.
  10. Scheffy

Scheffy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can emphatically confirm this. I got stuck in Cades Cove on a holiday weekend 2 years back and it was honestly one of the most miserable days of my trip. I'd even dare say if you're anywhere near a holiday or nice-weather weekend, I'd think a bit about even heading for the Dragon. Significant chance of getting stuck behind a line of blue-hairs doing the slow careen in their Lexuses (Lexi...?) and/or dodging any number of Shoulda-Been-A-Racer's swinging into your lane. My Dragon run kicked off with a traffic jam caused by an errant Harley going inverted into a ditch. Seems to be standard protocol on certain weekends from what I gathered from locals.

Mid-week though? See what those side knobbies are good for!