2017 TAT planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ruans187, Nov 1, 2016.

1. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would start in NC and turn around or finish where and when it makes the most since. It will depend alot on who I am traveling with. If I go solo the I will go until Ive had enough, hopefully to all the way to Oregon. If am traveling with others it will be determined on a mutually agreed upon ride plan prior to departure. I plan to be retired by next summer so I will have a little more freedom on my timeline. That being said even the best plans are subject to change the second you pull out of the driveway.
  2. Sanibel

Sanibel Long timer

Oddometer:
    My timing is work based, would be most agreeable with my business if I leave early August. More bothered by cold than heat. I am used to routine upper 90's and humid here is South Flatistan, but I have never ridden in desert conditions. What do others think of that time frame?
  3. CanyonRider

CanyonRider Celebrating Festivus

Oddometer:
    I rode the about 800-900mi of the TAT last summer thru NM, CO, UT - late July into early August. Saw temps ranging from 35deg while camped at 10,000' to 102deg in Moab. I was on the DRZ. The Rockies are not big bike friendly, IMHO. 10yrs ago I did the eastern half on my Cagiva in May.

Here's a portion of the 2.5hr climb up Imogene Pass - much steeper that the video shows.

I need to get back out there!
    CR
  4. outdoorsntn

outdoorsntn n00b

Oddometer:
    I am flexible on start and finish dates. The weather window would be my determining factor.
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Bert,

I will keep following this thread. Definitely this Summer although I wish I could take like a month off to do the entire TAT but not possible.

Jon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  6. philstrailgnome

philstrailgnome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless you are super skilled on at 1200, it is likely too big a bike for TAT. Been on a lot of parts of it, and from all I have read, about a 525 is as big as needed or want to handle. If you do it the 1200, please, please do a trip report, because would love to hear about it. My 990 is perfect for touring trips, but fear it is too big. One of these decades I'll get around to TAT and would likely do it the 450.
  7. philstrailgnome

Oddometer:
    I live at the base of Imogene and ride all over the San Juan's. Concur = not super big bike friendly. Hancock and Tin Cup Pass areas up in central Colorado are even more difficult. Much prefer the 450 but have ridden most on the 990. Several dirt naps were enjoyed!!!
  8. justBert

Oddometer:
    I have seldom been accused of being the smartest or of never doing things the hard way. My brain is wired a little different than most, it defaults to - how can I - instead of - why shouldn't I. Now I not claiming that i haven't gotten myself in trouble, broke some things or wasted a lot of money over the years but it has served me well enough that I don't see any changes on the horizon. All that being said I have no doubt that my 1200GSA may not be the perfect TAT bike but its way more capable than I am so if i point it in the right direction and hold on I'll get there. It will probably result in me becoming an expert in picking up my heavy bike in all kinds of situations and lots of lessons learned and by the way the only dumb mistake is the one that you didn't learn from the first time you made it. So I will continue to plan my 1200GSA 2017 TAT adventure and it should be exciting ride to say the least and I am very much looking forward to all it has to offer. Sorry for my rambling, I happens sometimes when I am sailing with the Captain, Captain Morgans that is. Cheers to all and stay tuned in!
    Poznos, phreakingeek, DeeGeeF and 4 others like this.
  9. philstrailgnome

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah! Love the perspective!! Let me know when you are planning to be in Colorado and I will try to join you for a few days - to help pick up the bike! Dirt naps will happen. Heck, I'll go on the 990 and you can help me during my nap times.
    Keep smiling!!!
    DeeGeeF likes this.
  10. outdoorsntn

outdoorsntn n00b

Oddometer:
    Hooyah Navy!
  11. Bucirdr1

Bucirdr1 Bucirdr1

Oddometer:
    I'm considering the TAT either 2017 or 2018 on my F700GS, I live in Charleston, SC. However I'm currently 61 years old and slow and steady is a must. I'm experienced in off-road riding but my age my scare some off.
    earguy likes this.
  12. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey migts start hitting the gym your going to need the extra muscle to pick that big boy up 3 or 4 times a day.:lol2 If your good at riding gravel on your GS you should be ok just plan some reroutes on the highway if it rains heavy. Especially western OK. Roads turn into a mud pit after a good rain. I was on a 250 and it was work getting through it can't imagine how much fun a big bike would be. I think GPS Kevin has some big bike friendly routes for the TAT might be worth a look. Good luck with trip planning and keep us posted with your preparations.
  13. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    Great thread... I'm riding the TAT next summer. Departure date is dependent on snow fall in the Rockies. Mid-June to July 1st is the planned range to start. My trek is to benefit Wounded Warrior Project. My Steed for this trip is a 2016 KTM 690 Enduro R. Due to the Rockies, I dropped down to a single cylinder, lighter moto.

http://crossingamericaondirt.blogspot.com/

I plan to start at the Atlantic Ocean and work my way east to pick up Sam's TAT to the Pacific Ocean. My goal is to ride the entire route in 5 weeks, with a few stop overs to visit wounded hero's who've benefited from Wounded Warrior Project. Please check out my blog and make a donation if you can. My trek is self funded other than in-kind parts donations from manufacturers and some ADV inmates.
    pratered and ruckusracing like this.
  14. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Bucidr1,

You can tag along with me if you want. I wouldn't worry about guys telling you that you need a 250 or similar. I know one rider local to Charlotte or nearby that did the whole TAT including Colorado on his Suzuki Wee 650 which to me is considered a standard street bike. Obviously, rider skill can makeup for riding a lesser equipped bike like a Vstrom 650 doing, say Hancock Pass in CO. Just saying.

KNYBanjo has a post in ADVrider about his TAT.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done part of the TAT on my 06 1150 GSA and even made it through Warloop road.....:ricky I got as far as Nevada due to time constraints and a technical non OEM BMW failing part..:bluduh:devildog It is doable with a big bike but the soft sandy area's in Nevada are best left to smaller bikes IMHO, and I bailed on the long sandy runs. You don't want to become a statistic in the desert.. Would I do it again? Hell yes with a smaller machine.. I rode with a fellow inmate and we met the most interesting characters along the way. If I had to start from scratch I'd start in Arkansas and skip the paved Tennessee part. YMMV
  16. justBert

Oddometer:
    It sounds like we may be building up to an epic year for "BIG BIKE" TAT crossings in 2017 for those who dare. I hope that everyone who's considering will continue to share.
  17. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    I have rode COBDR, UTBDR, AZBDR and NV on a GS 800 and/or 1190. It can be done. I would not advise if you're riding TAT solo. You will pick up the bike a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  18. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Yeah solo on a big bike is tough but it depends on your skill set and MacGuiverism...:lol3 I only dropped my beast twice:muutt in the easier parts which PO'd me more than anything..:D Soft luggage is also highly recommended as one of my Zega cases needed a rebuild when I got home.. Nothing serious, just annoying..
  19. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be running solo on the Super Tenere. So is most of the Tennessee section paved ? If so maybe I'll look for a nice road ride through there.
  20. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Don't flame me for asking this but would it be proper for me to post in a flea market to buy Sam's GPS tracks or map from another ADVrider that has already done the TAT? I've read so much of this being a HUGE "no no", etc. I noticed on Sam's website that I have to buy the states individually unlike Kevin GPS tracks which you can download the entire TAT.

Isn't reselling legal? Just asking. If I bought a book and decide to resell it to another reader because I am done with it, am I doing something wrong?

Jon