2017 TAT planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ruans187, Nov 1, 2016.

1. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 13 690 enduro w plans for the TAT in 2017 w/ a fellow firefighter here in Jacksonville, Flatisan. I've never toured off road before and trying to learn as much as possible.
  2. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I googled and found this for what it's worth.......

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/is-it-cool-to-buy-used-tat-maps-from-other-riders.514340/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wanted-tat-maps.808273/

Jon
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It is a matter of respect for the individual who put the route together, not legality. If you trust the people who put the work in developing the route together by tying together all of those little roads, shouldn't they be given the respect they are asking for?
    Blaise W likes this.
  4. Bucirdr1

Bucirdr1 Bucirdr1

Oddometer:
  5. Sanibel

Sanibel Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems pretty reasonable to me. Thinking the same myself. You are buying the actual product not the intellectual property rights.
  6. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I found many other threads about this very subject including comparison of KevinGPS tracks vs. Sam's. I am not interested in rehashing this issue. Based on what I read, I think I will buy Sam's maps and do my own tracks in Basecamp using Sam's maps and compare to KevinGPS tracks. I am not that familiar with Basecamp but was able to load KevinGPS tracks with 3 different "skill" color legends to the Basecamp and then to my Zumo 590. I am still trying to figure out how to add Kevin's waypoints so that I could gauge the nearest gas stations, lodging, camp sites, etc. I think using combination of Kevin & Sam's is the best approach. At least this way, I can establish daily stops and mileage. Also, I read that Sam has rerouted some of the harder sections of the TAT which I can use KevinGPS tracks to include while doing tracks in Basecamp.

Jon
  7. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Here you can see the different skillset legends from KevinGPS tracks from Basecamp. Blue indicates normal, Green is easy and Red is for experienced rider only. I didn't realize that some of new east TAT trails are so close to my usual riding areas.

KevinGPS TAT Legend.JPG

Jon
  8. jrh1230

jrh1230 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello from another John in Charlotte. I am yet another one considering doing parts of the TAT at some point; very possibly next summer. I am currently building up a new DR650 "ProCycle style" for this kind of riding. I would probably end up riding solo ('cause I don't know anybody my age that is interested in dual sporting... I'm 59). Like you, I see that lots of the Eastern TAT sections (Kevin's sections I suppose) are roads that I've ridden before. So I probably wouldn't include them on a TAT ride starting from CLT. In fact, I'm not one who cares whether I do the whole TAT or not. I would just want to do the 'good bits' at some point (the 'good bits' being subjective of course). I hope to be able to at least ride the parts that appeal to me because I would be in it just for the ride and scenery, etc.. What portions are you planning to hit given that you're limited to 10 days if you don't mind me asking?
  9. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    John,

No definitive plans yet. There was a group of 4+ riders from the Triad area that rode the TAT last Summer doing the same 10 days plan which was to ride the TAT for 7 days and slab it back for 3 days. I had used up majority of my vacation at that time and could not join the group.

Jon
  10. hardhat

hardhat Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Tonk

Tonk Broken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll be 2 DR650's leaving Maine sometime around the last week of August. We plan on doing the entire TAT over a month and finishing in OR around the 3rd week of September. We'll be camping as much as possible with a hotel thrown in on a super rainy nights or when a shower, pond, river or swamp can't be found anywhere else. Looking forward to meeting some fellow riders along the way!!!!
    steveo555234 and seasider like this.
  12. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    @hardhat
    I would say 10 days of steady riding leaving from Moab. I plan on 14 days to check out a few sights along the way.

13. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Based on my 10 days TAT travel plan.:ricky My plan is to depart for TAT in July. Exact date uncertain but flexible. Based on looking at GPS Kevin tracks and since I live in Charlotte, I will just ride my Terra and hookup to start the TAT in Spruce Pine NC and follow the TAT westward. I am still looking to order Sam's maps but based on Kevin GPS tracks, I think I can end up near Buffalo OK by end of day 7 or 2088 miles from Charlotte. This is all from Basecamp. I then plan to slab it back on my Terra for the next 2.5 to 3 days to get back to Charlotte which taking I-40E is approx. 1278 miles.

These are just my preliminary itinerary. I plan to ride solo and camp majority of the time other than staying at the hotel every now and then to refresh and cleanup. I would like to have another rider join me but realize that my travel plans may not be flexible for everyone. I guess the main question I have to riders who have already done part or entire TAT, am I being too aggressive in trying to ride 300+ miles a day on TAT although realizing that I am probably on the easier part of the TAT.

Jon
  14. CanyonRider

CanyonRider Celebrating Festivus

Oddometer:
    My personal experience has been 250mi/day average on the eastern half and 180mi/day average on the western half. Weather is a major factor - we once rode 8hrs in the Smokys during a 50deg rain and covered 60mi. Breakdowns is another major factor - I've lost 1.5hrs to a flat tire; Lost 1/2day to a radiator fan; lost 1/2day to a wheel bearing (all different trips). The averages I posted above include these delays. Individual days vary dramatically, but over a 10 day trip these averages always seem to shake out for me. Fatigue is another major factor - it can be difficult to maintain an aggressive pace for 10 days. I find that after the 4th day I tend to settle into a predictable routine and pace.

Good luck!
    CR
    NJ-Bill likes this.
  15. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get Sam's Tracks! Compared to the cost of the trip, Sam's work is piddly. It's also a good idea to get his maps because it will help if you need to so some re-routing.
    NicorAdv and Strong Bad like this.
  16. hardhat

hardhat Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @juno
    14 days sounds about right to give some time to "have fun" along the way. I have a 530 that's been modified for DS sort of stuff. Just did LA-Barstow-Vegas at thanksgiving. Pretty long, but lots of fun. Lots of sand though. What time of year are you planning to go? I was thinking about labor day to start. thta seems to be the best compromize on temp and weather.
  17. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Labor day sounds about the best time for me also. The weather last year was good about that time. Waiting to see how things shake out for 2017 though.

18. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    CanyonRider,

Thanks for the insight. I am going to back off my planned daily mileage quota to enjoy the TAT.

Jon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  19. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'm going to do any of the TAT next year, haven't been riding much dirt but I only live a few hours from Tellico. At least this thread has spurred me to start prepping my DR650. Santa is bringing all sorts of goodies and I'm like the little elf in the workshop. New chain and sprockets, fork boots, valve check, brake bleed, new filters :clap . I'll stay tuned. Last summer I started heading to CO on my C14 and the weather was so uncomfortable (98 degrees and sucky humidity) I changed my plans and headed North instead. Not sure when the best time is, for the passes in CO just depends on the snowpack, so far not very much out there but tis early. Utah in the summer heat is pretty rough as well. Like someone said maybe a bit after Labor Day.
  20. acgwolfe

acgwolfe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just purchased an xr650l for this trip next year. Bike prep starts after the holidays. I have two weeks to get as far as I can leaving from Richmond, KY.