2017 TAT planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ruans187, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Indianhead

Indianhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    acgwolfe, congratulations on your enlightened choice of transport. A friend and I are planning a late June departure from Carolina Beach on a pair of xr650l's. We are mostly done with bike prep... well, at least halfway done. I still have bark busters and pannier racks to add, but the big tanks are on.

We'll depart o/a the 24th and plan for 21-28 days. We are going to follow mostly Sam's routes with some deviations. We spend some time in Western NC, so no need to dwaddle there. Likewise, I am from the great flat of Oklahoma and we will ride for time rather than surface experience there. Our reasoning is that we are really in it for points west of New Mexico. We do have some deviations that we are still working out. We'll likely break off and ride the Shaffer Trail in Canyonlands N.P. We are also intent on doing the old Nevada crossing rather than the new Idaho route. Time permitting we'll run down High Rock Canyon in NV before hitting Cedarville. The route isn't finalized yet.

Good luck to all of you.
  2. Sanibel

Sanibel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see other people selecting mid range bikes. Confirms my preconceived newbie ideas.
  3. lhulax29

lhulax29 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm debating about doing it on my klr with a friend who will ride a klx250s....she's going to have to carry some extra fuel for sure
  4. Turbo61

Turbo61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I as well would like to tackle at least half of the TAT in 2017, also live in FL. Let's discuss!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
  5. hardhat

hardhat Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Juno, lets stay in touch as the calendar ticks by. there's a couple other guys also interested in that timing and route.
    cheers and happy new year.
  6. OldRon

OldRon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be re-running Tenn, Miss and Ark again in 2017 starting late May and camping. Like last year will use Sam's GPS on a WR250R. Last year I rode solo but wouldn't mind some company. Starting at Tellico Plains and of course Witt Road.
    Redhook likes this.
  7. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    For you all that have ridden the TAT before .........I plan on enjoying it as well and original thought was on my wr250r but lately considering taking an f800. I am comfortable on a big bike in sloppy mud and sand but how much will I have to bypass out west if any!
    Turbo61 likes this.
  8. GLantern

GLantern A Nut Behind The Bars

Oddometer:
    I'll be there in October, going as far as I can in two weeks as well and starting in TN, anyone have tire recommendations for a loaded dr650?
  9. efmb15cmb

efmb15cmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am interested in your trip! I also have a GS 1200 and looking at doing the TAT after July 2017.
  10. efmb15cmb

efmb15cmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know the dates I would like to join you. I have a GSA so I would fit right in.
  11. efmb15cmb

efmb15cmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in send me some details.
  12. efmb15cmb

efmb15cmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When are you planning on doing it? I may be able to join you.
  13. dualbert

dualbert I'm not like the "others"

Oddometer:
    I am a different Bert. I'm in Chattanooga. I am planning a TAT run. The date is negotiable, but thinking about starting Good Friday through 10 days to the next Sunday.

Plan (A)... Start in Pelham,TN and go as far into Arkansas as possible and ride back in some direction?

Plan (B)... U-Haul to Memphis, pick up the trail at the Ozarks, and go as far into OK as I can get before returning.

I will be on a 12 Tiger800XC. -bert
  14. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving July 7, gonna do 1000 highway miles over 2 days , be in TN on the 9th
  15. efmb15cmb

efmb15cmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't leave till the 19th of July but after that I am open till 3 Jan 2018. Maybe next time or you can move your date back?
  16. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could have moved the dates back a little bit but that is the only time i could get a long enough stretch of time off of work.
  17. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still lurking here and following other TAT discussions while doing as much riding as the weather allows. I sold my house in Dec and the new owners don't want to occupy until the end of May so after that I am pretty flexible. Exact dates will be hard for me to nail down until all the stars are aligned and I say ok its time to do this. At that point I will see who is traveling in that window and either tag along or just set out on my own. I think I would be ok with a solo trip as long as I knew who else was on the trail just in case I really really needed to reach out for help. I still have a lot to learn and sort out bike/equipment wise and I hope to eventually be able to contribute from the been there done that perspective but until then I will continue to pay attention and rely on those who have. The other Bert.
  18. VARider67

VARider67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the NC TAT last June from Hateras and stopped in Hickory NC. I enjoyed the ride but it is almost all pavement. There is only maybe 5 or 6 miles of dirt total. I used GPS Kevins tracks and as far as NC goes they were spot on.. no troubles at all.

VStromNC: I think I was in the group you were talking about. I think we left on Labor day weekend. Several of us rode from Andrews NC and followed a combination of Sam's and Kevin's tracks. We made it as far as Pickwick TN before turning around to hit the trails we missed. Our plan was to make it to Fort Smith AR and then do two 360 mile days on slab to get back to Andrews, but the more we thought about the ride back the more we wanted to turn around earlier and take our time hitting trails on the way back. One of the guys with us continued west, but I am not sure how far he went.

The first two days were hard to get more than 160 miles a day in and we had planned to do 200+ miles each day so we ended up having to skip sections to make it to our stopping points each day. The third day we only planned about 160 miles and it turned out to be all pavement that day. So I'd say learn as much as you can about your routes so you can get a good assessment of how many miles to expect each day. I can't say from experience but from what I have been told west of Pickwick TN the dirt roads are a lot faster ride and 200+ miles a day should not be a problem.

DualBert: Sounds like your plan B overlaps with mine. I am thinking about trailering out to Memphis TN and riding west for about 7 days to Trinidad CO or slightly farther. Then shipping bike home from Denver and flying back to memphis to drive home. I am in the process trying to figure out when would be the best time do this ride to beat the heat and the rain and mud. I was planning to ride this solo but wouldn't mind riding with someone either all the way or part way to Trinidad.

I currently have a Suzuki DR 650, although I'm seriously thinking about getting a Honda Africa Twin.

DR650-August2106-NCTAT.jpg
  19. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    VARider67, Thanks for your help. BTW, nice DR. I notice the USD forks and many other niceties.

My 2017 TAT plans are to leave around July 1st as to take advantage of Tuesday, July 4th holiday- one less day of vacation time and linkup to TAT near Bald Ground Mountain and follow KevinGPS tracks or Sam's Tracks. I just ordered Sam's maps and I plan to have both tracks loaded to my Zumo 590. I've read many other TAT posts and my daily mileage quota will be based on mechanical or I until I get tired or it gets late. I will either camp or motel depending on where I am and how I feel. I want to enjoy the TAT experience and if I play my cards right, I can take maybe 10 days of vacation but in actuality it could be as much as 15 actual days total.

Here' s a screenshot from Basecamp at the TAT start for me since I live in Charlotte. The gray track is my track from Charlotte to linkup to the start of KevinGPS TAT. Only couple of hours from Charlotte. If anyone else is looking to do the same, let me know.

Jon TAT Start.JPG

Jon
  20. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    How far you plan on going , and what is your plan for returning ?