2017 TAT planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ruans187, Nov 1, 2016.

1. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I still have to do some more work in BC but figure ride as far as I can following KevinGPS/Sam's probably until I get to around Ft. Smith, AR or to OK (around 10 to 11 days) before slabbing it back on the highway/major roads for 3 to 4 days. I am going to calculate my mileage based on approx. 180 to 200 mile days but may do more or less.

Jon
  2. crash a-ron

crash a-ron mmm...burnt steel Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the beginning stages of planning my TAT ride this year, and have managed to get a good chunk of time off. There will not be vacation pay for most of the time, but I'd rather take the trip than get the paycheck! I'll be starting after the Touratech Rally August 21st in Huntingdon PA, and headed all the way home to Seattle.

I will be sure and "touch" the Atlantic before heading west. Hopefully I can visit a buddy in NC, and my folks in Oklahoma along the way. I'm prepping my G650XChallenge for the trip, but it pretty much just needs maintenance before I head out.

I really appreciate everyone's posts and out-loud planning! I think I will use mostly Sam's maps, but will start taking a look at GPS Kevin's data too.
    seasider likes this.
  3. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My TAT plans are to start August 5th out of Trinidad CO going west as far as my bike, body, or money will take me in 15 days.

Will be using Kevin's routes for CO and switch to Sam's routes out of Moab. I will be solo on a small bike (FE 250) and intend to hit some of the single track in CO along with doing a wash or two in UT. As for ID and OR, if I get that far, I will make it up as I go along.

I'm 56 years old and a slow steady as she goes type rider. If you find yourself in that area in early August let me know, I'm not opposed to having company, especially on the single track or in the washes.
    seasider likes this.
  4. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ride from Andrews to Tims Ford was a very nice first day on the TAT. Living in Chattanooga, I'd recommend starting there. If you have 10 days total, I'd ride from Andrews to the west side of the Ozarks and then return home. That would be easily doable in 10 days. Anything west of the Ozarks, say Tulsa, until you get to Colorado, is the armpit of the TAT and totally skippable (meaning jump on paved road and haul ass to Boise City OK). If you ride the Ozarks and then continue on in to Oklahoma, then on your way home you're going to kicking yourself for riding any farther than the western end of the Ozarks.
    juno likes this.
  5. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    If your bike, body, and money holds out then Port Orford should be very doable in 15 days even riding some of the washes and single tracks. Black Dragon canyon is not to be missed and it'll be pretty straight forward on a small bike. We (four of us) rode it on heavily ladened KLR650s and it was a challenge but we made it through without any ouchies.
    Fat Chance likes this.
  6. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Mostly agree, but would not go as far as labeling that section the "armpit of the TAT".
    Moab UT Trip 013.JPG
    IMO, the ride to CO is what prepares novice TAT riders (myself included) of what is to come.
    Tennessee has some very good FS trails and challenging water crossings around Tellico Plains.
    If limited on riding time, it's good advice to cut the route wherever you feel comfortable, but going
    all the way to CO on TAT with 14 days is a stretch unless you start in or near the Ozarks.
    On my first trip out to CO last Labor Day, I had planned 10 days just for CO and UT, but
    had to cut it short and only rode 3days in CO- a major disappointment yet happy because I knew I had to come back.

On my way to CO, I did what most here suggested: slabbed it 580 miles from Pineville, MO to Clayton, NM
    Woke up early from camp, KSU at 5:30 AM and checked into the motel at 7 PM.
    You may be discouraged to ride that much on anything less than 700cc.
    But this was my CRF1000LD maiden adventure and I had put her through the paces, if you know what I mean ;)
    This still is one of the best inspirations of mine, to get out to Colorado. Moab UT Trip 037.JPG
    kalonji and seasider like this.
  7. Fat Chance

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info PittsDriver. I will watch some videos of Black Dragon Canyon tonight and make sure it is on my route.
  8. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    My TAT ride report is here including our philosophy on "gratuitous gravel."

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-first-adventure-ride-the-tat.1077645/

If you want to skip ahead in the report to UT and Black Dragon Canyon, there's photos and video here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-first-adventure-ride-the-tat.1077645/page-5#post-27714649

DCTFan, I acknowledge that there are two styles of attack on the TAT. One is the approach that has a month or more to take in the entire ride and enjoy every side trail and sight along the entire breadth of the country. Our approach was what we called the "efficient TAT" which probably seems unsavory to those with more time. It's just such a life altering experience to ride the TAT that I'm encouraging and promoting that it can be done in less than 20 days and still have that life changing experience. I think we advocate that the 2 - 3 days of TAT in Oklahoma just doesn't measure up to what is behind and ahead of it. Sorry if my armpit comment offended anyone. It's all a worthy adventure!
    seasider likes this.
  9. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    I am 100% in agreement with your TAT riding philosophy, and very much appreciate your and everyone else's input.
    Yet the perception of adventure is a lot different to many people. Just wanted to chime in with my recent experience.
    Never lived in OK nor will in the future. First time on a motorcycle and the 'newness' of the terrain, somehow lessened
    the boring aspect. I've had sunny days without rain through the short sections I rode in OK and concluded
    that it would be 'muddy' fun after a modest rain- if mud holes and getting off is your 'thing' :muutt
    So this year, I am skipping the OK mud, since the mud out west is what I see as a rite of passage :)
  10. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for riding partner(s) to do the TAT, maybe leave off the eastern part.

Will be retired (fit 58), so fairly open on start and duration.

Big bike, over twice my weight when loaded. (690) :-) Prolly a solid intermediate rider offroad, so can do slow or brisk.

Any combo of hotels/camping is fine.

Tentatively will hitch-carry bike on SUV or RV out, then fly back for my rig, but could ship bike and fly and ride I guess.
    kalonji likes this.
  11. Fat Chance

Oddometer:
    Great RR and videos @PittsDriver. That Black Dragon is just the type of riding I would like to fit in along the way.
    PittsDriver likes this.
  12. Fat Chance

Oddometer:
    @StuInFH my plan (for now) is to leave out of Trinada CO heading west on August 5th. In CO I'm thinking of doing hotels to avoid the cold nights and camping in UT and ID, or NV if I go that way. Also, at least for now, looking to do some single track and washes as mentioned in the posts above. I don't know if the single tracks are 690 friendly, that might need some research.
  13. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fat Chance, will you be riding that white KTM in your avatar? ;-) What size is it?
    What is your plan for returning to Trinidad?
  14. Fat Chance

Oddometer:
    @StuInFH Yes, that is the plan for now. The white ktm is a FE 250.

Once in Port Orford, or where ever I run out of body, bike or funds I will rent a uhaul truck back to Trinidad Co. I haven't called the uhaul dealer in Trinidad but, I'm thinking I can park my pickup there. Might have to pay a little something for the convenience.

I did check the uhaul site and a 10' truck rental from Port Orford OR to Trinidad CO was around $550.
  15. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aug 5 works for me because I will be in Kingman the weekend before.

Do you know of anyone else interested in going?

What town do you live in? Guess a ways from Trinidad if you can't ride home from there after dropping off rental.
  16. Fat Chance

Oddometer:
    Yep, I live in Green Bay, another 1200 miles back from Trinidad and don't have the time off for that. Pop the bike in the truck and head home.

Right now I don't know any other riders. On this thread there are others starting further east.

BTW I'm 56, been riding dirt 7 years and think of myself as a competent rider, not fast. I've only ridden out west once. I wasn't very good at the sand but really enjoyed all the various terrain. That is why I want to do the western TAT at a relaxed pace.
  17. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I'm spectating the World Trials Round at Hualapai Mtn Park on July 28-30 and will head over to Trinidad after that for August 4th arrival.

If you find a descriptive RR and/or pics of the ST you want to add, let me know. As this point and unless I hear it is a lot of Black Diamond ST, I will plan to take my 690 over 500.

And I'm ok with adding another rider or two, as long as they aren't new to dirt or riding a bike that they can't pick up on their own. If you add a rider, they can have my Uhaul spot, as that return drive sounds like a grinder and Portford is a one day ride down the coast from home for me. From home I'll catch a flight back or ride a streetbike back, otherwise I'll plan to ride back with you in the truck. (assuming neither of us has buried the other guy in the desert)

Ready to go to a private Conversation to spare others boring details when you are.
  18. Fat Chance

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  19. efmb15cmb

efmb15cmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about starting around mid September?
  20. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I invited myself to join Fat Chance early August. :-)
    Fat Chance likes this.