2017 TAT planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ruans187, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Texas Mud Taco

Texas Mud Taco Ants in my pants

Oddometer:
    I am planning on doing part of the TAT from Oklahoma west, in June, and then back. I will be on the road for 3 to 4 weeks. For all you experienced TAT riders: do y'all bring extra tires, or just patch repair kits. I am on a DR650 with Pirelli MT21 tubed tires. I see ride reports where some guys bring tires, but that may just be for RTW trips?
  2. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    What? I live in Charleston too. You should hit us up the next time you want to ride.
  3. LJRAT

LJRAT LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this , I am planning a TAT outing and was really wondering what bike to take. I have a 2016 500 EXC, will this work for a TAT adventure??????
  4. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. It means that you don’t have to route around anything unless you just don't want to ride a section.
  5. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don’t want to haul tires. Just start with fresh tires, and then make arrangements to replace them just before or after your turnaround.

Are you a Texas boy? I'm in San Antonio and currently figuring out my summer riding adventure. I rode the western TAT in 2007, and I think a repeat might be nice. BTW, I rode a dualsported XR400 then, and have a Husky 701 now.
  6. Texas Mud Taco

Texas Mud Taco Ants in my pants

Oddometer:
    Im in San Marcos. I am running Shinko 705s (75/25%) for the winter, but run Perelli MT21s for the summer. I was thinking of heading out with the Shinkos, and change them out once I hit the TAT. But it does seem like a real PITA to carry tires...

I am meeting up with some guys in Portland to ride the WABDR and was planning on following the TAT from Colorado west, but have read from some CO natives that the passes won't be open until late this summer. New tentative plans are to slab it to the south end of AZBDR, ride about 3/4 of it, jump over to Las Vegas and ride about 3/4 of the NVBDR, and then take the TAT into Oregon, and slab it up to Portland.

Are you doing the TWT Menard ride/campout this weekend?
  7. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a bad cold that won't be better by Saturday, so no riding for me. Let's ride another time soon.
  8. eh009usa

eh009usa West Chester, PA

Oddometer:
    I am interested as well in a TAT trip this year. Plenty of time and the end game for me is Seattle. Son lives there. Just would like to be back in SE PA by late Sept. I have a few years to go to be AARP Eligible. Retired. Africa twin. PM if interested.
  9. Eggowaffle

Eggowaffle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ruans, were you still planning on doing the TAT run??? i was looking to do it in Late May/Early June (Starting) as of now i was solo for most the run, looking for other riders to join with me. I was actually planning on working my way back towards orlando to visit my friend after i complete the ride
    ruans187 likes this.
  10. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still planning to ride it, have toyed w the idea of riding from the beach access here in Atlantic Beach FL up to the trail in Ms....or a mostly dirt route to the actual start point....if I do the full trail it will probably be two parts. Maybe Tn to Co, break, then Co to Or.
    ruans187 likes this.
  11. Tony7283

Tony7283 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all!
    I'm from London, UK and heading out to the US soon. I will look to start the TAT (East to West) around mid-April from Tennessee or maybe further east. Would be interested in riding with others, camping along the way. I know mid-April is a fairly early start, but thinking that I won't be hitting the western sections with the high passes until beginning of May..... don't know if this is still a bit optimistic? Anyone interested in joining or fancy a beer along the way, feel free to get in touch and maybe we can arrange something!
  12. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking you wont be able to go over the mountains in May, sometimes you can't over in June
  13. Tony7283

Tony7283 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case... will have to take it as it comes! Anyone who fancies some riding, feel free to give me a shout!
    spareparts racing and ruans187 like this.
  14. ruans187

ruans187 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late response...I think that is a vey good choice for the TAT.
  15. ruans187

Oddometer:
    Why not in June? I have no clue....
  16. ruans187

Oddometer:
    I don't think is going to happen for me at least not in April/MAy bcause of childcare.
    Let me know what u end up doing?
  17. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on the snow, and the Rockies got lots of it this year. The high passes will likely not be open until early July.
  18. dualbert

dualbert I'm not like the "others"

Oddometer:
    My route plans have changed, but my dates have been decided, unless weather and swollen creeks area factor. I changed the route so I can test the ADV type gear, fuel economy with new exhaust/catectomy and loaded down. I have overnighted on a bike, but the true ADV thing may be more different than I expect? I figure if the arrangements or gear start to go south, I'm only 8hrs of slab home at any point. If all goes well, I will attempt the starting in AS to OK in the fall, or next season.

Leaving from Chattanooga, 9-ish AM, May 25, Thursday and Pick the the TAT in Pelham, TN. I will then continue west till I've had enough for that day. Hopefully into section 11. By Saturday, I hope to cross over into AK. AT that point, I am following the Mississippi river roads north to West Memphis. I Google Earthed a route that looks doable through a state forest of some sort and then along the top of the "River Levee Rd"... 105miles.

At that point, I plan to run some farm and dirts roads along I-24East and meander back after going through Franklin. Likely 41 into home. This should be happening by Memorial day.

I only plan to stay indoors every other day at the most.

As a rider, I'm dirt confident. I have only ridden my 800XC for a full season, but I haven't had anything stop me yet. Just finished the 12K valve service this week, so by next weekend, I plan to take a couple of faux day trips packed out to set the trims so to speak?

Please PM if any of you want to overlap the ride days/sections. -bert
  19. Sealevel740

Sealevel740 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Richmond, VA and was planning on starting the TAT in late May before it gets too hot. I'm pretty flexible so I haven't set a date yet but the snow in the Rockies is definitely a factor (after reading this thread). I've got a 1200gs which I'm confident on and love to be challenged but I can also recognize our limitations and will easily bypass a gnarly section if need be. I downloaded the free route from gpsKevin but also purchased the exorbitantly priced ($38) route for Garmin Basecamp, which is needed to convert the tracks into routes and can reverse them to ride back, if desired. I plan on bringing light camping gear so I have the option when I find a good spot but otherwise a hotel is fine with me. I'm going to buy the ACR Resqlink in the event of a fubar emergency but it'd be cool to link up with some others so we can help each other along the way if needed. So, let me know if you're interested.

Mike
  20. twiget

twiget Proud to be Awesome

Oddometer:
    @ruans187 are you still planning on doing the TAT this year? I'm leaving on a RTW trip in early June. I'm going to be riding through Florida to visit some friends then onto the TAT. I will probably be in Florida on towards the end of June (3rd or 4th week). I'm planning on doing GPSKevin's route from Cape Hatteras NC to the Oregon Dunes. If you're still interested in doing the TAT, PM me. Maybe we can get something worked out!