1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Cosmo Accessories centerstand. I think its the cheapest but it works good and installation was easy.
  2. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
  3. The Sexy Medic

The Sexy Medic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Outback Motortek centerstand. You can get a pretty good deal with the crash bars and a BEEFY skid plate thrown in for around 800 Canadian.

Attached Files:

4. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Thank you. I ended up going with the OEM stand (found it on sale for $217), but I'll definitely invest in a skid plate in the not-so-distant future, so I'll take a look.
  5. The Sexy Medic

Oddometer:
    Bring a friend and an impact when you go to install if you decide to get it. The factory thread locking is absolutely insane.
  6. The Sexy Medic

Oddometer:
    Just an update on Outback Motortek package. The bolt that mounts/supports the right rear side of the skid plate and the exhaust is BARELY long enough, and came loose on my 2017 model. (Yes, I did use locktite) A new, slightly longer bolt and all is well! IMG-20180528-WA0017.jpeg IMG-20180528-WA0015.jpeg
  7. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got an amazing deal on a black leftover 2017 XT! Picking her up tomorrow! :ricky

[​IMG]
    Motor7, Hi-De-Ho, tjzondrz and 4 others like this.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! What did this replace?

Gustavo
  9. kavics86

kavics86 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hello! Looks really nice. Can you please send link from ebay, as i didnt find it with this name.
    Thanks in advance!
  10. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    I read that the Outback Motortek plate for the 2017 "requires bolt modification" https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/outback-motortek-suzuki-v-strom-dl650-centre-stand
  11. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I recently sold all four of my bikes and bought a DR-Z400 for dual-sport riding, and now I am adding the XT as a street bike for longer road rides.
    Hi-De-Ho and 996DL like this.
  12. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    So, was this seat ever identified?

Thanks!
  13. Mai54

Mai54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The seat is from company MOTEA in germany. I paid 199.- Euro. Had to send in the original seat and waited 2 weeks until i got the new seat back. I have just ridden 2300km from Germany to Spain on this seat. No complaints so far. It not only looks good, it's also very comfortable.
    2018-05-26 13.18.50.jpg
    ShimrMoon, Hi-De-Ho and ag_streak like this.
  14. Mai54

Mai54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SAM_4178.jpg
    Hi-De-Ho, tjzondrz, Dao1 and 2 others like this.
  15. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Picked up my new XT today! Got it at Mountain Motorsports in Kodak, TN. Got to ride home through Deal's Gap! About 145 miles total. Nice twisty christening!

[​IMG]
  16. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Question for The Collective (any of you guys remember that term?)

The first-gen 650 and 1000 seats were interchangeable, with many swaps/trades taking place between owners who wanted a lower or taller seat. Are the 2017+ 650 seats a direct swap with the 2014+ 1000 seats? Is there a height difference between the two?

Thanks!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I use a Outback Motortek centerstand.
    Extremely pleased with it. Very well built.
  18. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    My bike was delivered on Saturday. Unbelievable customer service from Scott, owner of Motorsports Nation in Waterford, CT. This is the 3rd bike that I've purchased from Scott and it certainly won't be the last! 2018 DL650XT model for just $7,400!!! He even surprised me by having it delivered to my front doorstep. I was blown away by the price and left speechless by the unexpected delivery! I can't recommend MSN enough!!!

The V-Strom proved to be everything that I had hoped it would be. I've owned a number of bikes over the years, the closest comparison to this one being the CB500X. I could never get used to the CBX's ergonomics or the fact that I was always searching for "7th" gear on the highway. It was a great bike; a little smaller and nimbler, but the extra HP (and heft!) on the DL is greatly appreciated on the highway and I LOVE the riding position. I can tell that this machine can eat up highway miles like no tomorrow. This bike will not being leaving the stable anytime soon! I feel like I now have all of the bases covered between my WR250R and the new V-Strom. Looking forward to some great summer rides.

[​IMG]
  19. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    News update on ownership of the mighty 2017 Wee-3 XT....

Today, on a ride going up towards Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories.....another V-STROM and I were heading north on Hwy 97 in British Columbia.....100 Mile House up to Prince George.

We saw 3 BMW 1200GS bikes in 100 Mile House.....20 miles later they came up behind us..... I was lead rider.....and because I like to play.... I will be damned if I was going to allow 3 BMW 12GSs pass us....without schooling them on the Facts of Life.

Those 3 Beemers chased me at very close to a TON (polite speak for the speed we were riding)

I lead them for more than 20 miles, until one of them BROKE DOWN from either fuel pump failure, or the fuel not transferring properly.

They were all surprised that the bike they were chasing was a '17 Wee-3 XT.

:jack
  20. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    The more I ride this bike, the more I wonder why I waited so long to buy one. What a machine!!! I'm having a hard time thinking of any other bike in this category that offers so much for the money. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
    Hi-De-Ho, ag_streak and 996DL like this.