2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. CSaddict

CSaddict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called to get mine scheduled and the service manager says they have no orings in house and they won't order unless I drop off the bike first. Sounds like bullshit.
    rooster shooter likes this.
  2. ram350

ram350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had mine done and mechanic said my O-Ring was fine.
  3. rooster shooter

rooster shooter motorcycle cowboy

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm being told. No o ring until the bike is in dealer hands.
  4. rooster shooter

rooster shooter motorcycle cowboy

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering not taking mine in.
  5. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Ditto's
    I was thinking if it was leaking, I would smell it.
  6. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would agree but the issue could be if it only leaks while riding then that may be a bit harder to notice.

However, I did bring my bike into the dealer for the recall. Didn't notice any gas smell before bringing the bike in but after getting it back there were two occasions where I smelled gas shortly after starting the bike up. I looked for an obvious leak but could not see anything. After the second occasion I have not noticed the gas smell after starting - for about the last 4 months.

So here I sit... wondering if I bring it back (really have not had much luck with the service from this particular dealer and am kicking myself for bringing the bike in to them in the first place) or just disassemble it myself and see where the leak (if any) is.
    tjzondrz likes this.
  7. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    I'll have mine checked out when I take in for state inspection in June.
  8. CSaddict

Oddometer:
    SO I rode the Wee to work with the new Sargent seat. Absolutely worth every penny. I found myself shifting around on the stock one even with a gel pad installed. With the new Sargent I don't feel the need too. Firmer support and relieved in the center to stop pressure. I had an issue with the bits going numb with the factory seat. Not at all with the Sargent!

about 80 miles total and Im sure it will break in and be even better.
    RedEX and Goodelivin like this.
  9. CSaddict

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up. If you have pull back risers and use a Givi XS308 tank lock bag your bars with hit the bag at full lock. Even on the rear setting on the tank plate. Not a big deal but worth mentioning if you are considering one.
  10. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well my service manual for my 2017 650 came in French only to accommodate the two French only speaking Canadians west of Quebec so wondering how to set my clock?
    Wont be able to get back to the dealer for a few weeks to get the proper one.
  11. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer had no problem ordering the part based on VIN number given via phone. He called me when it was in, scheduled appointment first thing in the morning and 90 minutes later I was on my way with the recall completed. There was no problem with my old o-ring but now I won’t get any nagging postcards from Suzuki.
  14. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the consensus here on radiator guards. Is it a critical accessory for driving dirt and gravel roads? Between the radiator being up high and the front fender protecting from rocks being thrown up, it seems unlikely that it would get damaged. Does anyone have experience to the contrary? I am planning to do the Labrador Highway this summer, and there are still a few hundred miles unpaved or under construction if I am not mistaken.
  15. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://ravetechmotorcycles.com/store/en/suzuki-dl650-v-strom/4-dl650rg.html

Always a good idea, if not for the rocks then for the bugs.
    Hogges likes this.
  16. Tony D P

Tony D P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The original o-ring is oval and has three tabs to secure it in a channel. The new design is round and of a larger diameter and is a friction fit. It appears that this design will provide a tighter seal. For some reason a plastic tube that I believe protects the filter has been slightly redesigned and is also in the recall kit. Suzuki recall kit is 15200-07810-RX0.
  17. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be my third order from Ravetech. Good products but ordering everything at once to save shipping costs would have been smarter, lol! Still on the fence whether I should get it, I may need to take a farkle-break for a bit. Thanks!
  18. Pickup man

Pickup man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us resurrect this thread. I love my 2017 Dl650 VStrom XT.
  19. Zukdriver

Zukdriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for two months now. I didn't know that this thread existed, so now I have a lot of catching up to do. I traded my 2004 vstrom for a 2019. I love the upgrades and everything about the new bike. I considered buying something different but just couldn't find a more perfect bike.
  20. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm only on page 69 of this informative thread and also following the very long V'Strom picture thread. As a new owner of my 2nd Wee, a 2019 XT, I cannot agree more with the above, word for word. I let go of my 2019 F750GS for personal reasons and am thrilled to be back on a Wee. Changing the front sprocket to a 16 has COMPLETELY transformed the riding experience making the bike what I believe should come from the factory - YMMV. Like many here, I've owned too many bikes and while all have their advantages, the Wee is just SO competent and reassuring everywhere and every time you ask it to be!! With the red and black combination, Madstad, PIA running lights, back off tail light, led turn signals, etc, etc, I am one very happy owner.

Ride safe.

Cheers.