1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Boriqua

Boriqua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ah .. forgive my ignorance. I thought the XT denoted the touring. ... hmmmmm I still don't know what XT stands for and I have one!

Mine is a 2019 and was 7999.00 before taxes and fees and came with the side hard bags, plastic hand-guard thingies, a plastic guard near the bottom which I guess is meant to cover the oil filter, crash bars, and center stand. The pic is a few posts up.

Just got off it after a moderately spirited ride ... had to go to the post office and cant just go straight home right!? So it means a drive on some of my favorite scenic routes to the river. Man I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

All I have added was a Precision motorcycle rack plate https://www.pmracks.com/ so I can carry larger objects, a China made radiator cover which looks great and has been serving its job well, some Cheap mirror extensions from Amazon which solved my buffeting issues and that Fork brace. I just cant think of anything else to put on the damn thing. I am lucky in that I love the seat.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It stands for "I paid XTra for spoke wheels and a few pieces of useless plastic" :lol3

OK, more seriously, if you really want spoke wheels, the extra cost of the XT over the basic version is very reasonable. Even if the handgurads and engine guard are not suitable for a bike that needs spoke wheels... :deal

Gustavo
    eakins, The Sexy Medic and rsteiger like this.
  3. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:

Not really sure either. I think there are the XT, XT Touring and XT Adventure spread over 2018, 2019 and 2020. All come with different extras.
  4. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended up with the XT because that’s what was in stock and discounted. Plus, I liked the color scheme with the blue spoked wheels.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. Boriqua

Boriqua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did an internet search for the 2019 650 v and couldn't find anything but the XT. Was there a more basic model in the 2019 line up?

Extra .. well I think that is in the eye or wallet of the purchaser. I personally feel like I scored. 8 grand for a bike with 1 mile on it and came with luggage, centerstand, ABS, Traction control windshield, crash bars and plastic thingies .. works for me! Shoot even has a 12 v plug already installed. I dont think I would have noticed spoke rims or not or that it would have weighed into my purchase. All the bikes I owned in the early days had spoked rims and they are a pain to clean.

Sure I took the beating on prep and taxes over used but I didnt adopt anyone elses problems either and ... I'm getting old and its nice to get something new now and again. The plastic handguards worked great. I did tip over off road and fell hard on the side. Scraps to the handguard, no scraps on Alex.

Earnest .. I kind of did the same thing .. I just decided to go LOOK at bikes but saw it and fell in love and bought it on the spot. There was the one I bought and a 1000 in white with no extras but I wanted a middle weight bike. I guess being the middle of summer the show room was already getting ready for the next model year. I am still thrilled with my purchase and going out right now!!
  6. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    @Boricua - These are 2020 colors, but there are no real differences other than that.

V-Strom 650 MSRP $8,799:
    [​IMG]

V-Strom 650XT MSRP $9299:
    [​IMG]

V-STrom650XT Adventure MSRP $10,399:
    [​IMG]

Obviously, you paid even less than list price, so you really did get a deal. As I mentioned above, the XT is worth the extra $500 if you want spoked wheels, regardless of whether you keep the handguards and "engine protection".

Gustavo
    eakins and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  7. Boriqua

Boriqua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the naked pic! I also really like the 2020 bags. Damnit i have the svelt plastic factory bags. Still nice I didnt have to spend 500+ on saddle bags but i do like the boxier ones.

The bags have only been on the bike a few times so the bike stays mostly naked but with plastic bits to cover its modesty areas. :)
  8. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    The plastic bags on my 2019 don’t have racks so the bike looks good without them. I wonder if that’s true with the new ones.
  9. Boriqua

Boriqua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a damn fine point... All that you see with the bags off is the little hangers. If you arent looking for them you wouldnt notice them and since my bike is sans bags 95% of the time ... you may have just saved me money!!
  10. mh7

mh7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was having some weird handling issues with low speed vagueness/instability and a disconnected feeling between the front and rear during more aggressive cornering-I figured this was just from getting more aggressive with it as my skills improved. Pulled the top box and rack (13 lbs combined, normally empty) and it not only fixed the issue but greatly improved pretty much every aspect of the bikes handling/balance. Has anyone else had the same experience with this bike? I didn’t notice this when I put the box on but was still playing with the front suspension. I’m curious if it’s due to the undersprung rear shock or if the mass centralization stuff has a bigger effect than I thought. 2017 v Strom 650
  11. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    that could be the way I go too.

I liked the Cobra Command paint scheme back in 2017. From the 80s GI Joe cartoon.

[​IMG]

I also watched lots of re-runs of the Andy G. Show.

For you.

12. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with a windscreen for a 2017 Wee that minimizes buffeting for the passenger? I did a quick search of this thread but came up empty.
    Thanks!
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Use to be spokes were only $300 more I thought?
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Did you crank up rear preload to test affects?

$300 gets you a optimized shock

http://daughertymotorsports.com/Backup/vstromsection.html
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Speaking of DMR, they bought Sonic Springs so that is what spring is in their kits.

Has anyone actually seen a DMR fork emulator? Out of the fork?

They spring and emulate the fork for $315 and that includes labor and oil. Good deal for sure. $615 gets you a whole f & r suspension upgrade for the 650.
  16. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you set the sag for how you are riding the bike? In other words set it with you and the gear you normally carry.
  17. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember it was always around $500, but at my age, quien sabe... :gerg

Gustavo
    eakins likes this.
  18. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Hello,

What are the highest you can lift the bars without needing to adjust the wires and such?

Thanks
  19. sailorjerry13

sailorjerry13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally received my Strom. I already installed luggage, skid plate and crash bars. Already came with Akrapovic exhaust and Pirelli rally str’s. IMG_2298.jpg IMG_2296.jpg
    480v Sparky, 4tracker, CKloed and 3 others like this.
  20. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you provide a link to DMR and this Suspension upgrade info.
    dp064 likes this.