1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Didn't mean to be so abrupt in my last post by the way. Sorry about that. Just FYI I wired my relay trigger into the heated grip/aux plug under the left side of the tank behind the radiator (2017, white connector). It is always on with the ignition. You can buy the correct connector for a couple bugs on Aliexpress, Sumitomo MT90 if memory serves well, I can look it up.
  2. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  3. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? During daytime hours? I guess I don't understand the objection of running high beams during daylight. I can certainly understand not doing that all the time at night.
  5. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We should all try to be as considerate as possible of others we share the road with, pedestrians, bicyclists, car drivers, horseback riders.
    Do you drive your car with high beams on during the day? It's the same light bulb, 55W or 60W Halogen. It is not pleasant to other drivers to have this aimed right at their eyes. On a sunny day it may not be a huge deal, but when it's overcast or rainy I think it is inconsiderate, maybe even dangerous. I suspect people who have mild cataracts might have something to say about this, too. Don't get me wrong, I want to be seen. That's why I have yellow accessory lights, but even those I aim slightly lower to avoid blinding other people, and I often switch them to the lowest setting.
  6. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to yellow filters on my LED accessory lights due to a couple of exciting night time adventures on an ice covered mountain road. They seem to be better at getting some one's attention during the daytime as well rather than a straight white light.

The reason I brought it up is I have ran into a couple of local motorcycle LEO at a gas station I frequent and they have asked about my LED's and have told me they thought they were a great idea to make a motorcycle more visible during the day... more so than hi viz gear. Typically I do not run the high beam during the day on my motorcycle but I will run the LED's at full output - especially if it is raining out. Now if it is getting near dusk or it is dark enough to the point that I need the light to see then I dial it back as to not blind oncoming drivers.

I have driven my car around during rain storms with the high beams on during the day. So have a few other driver's out here (State Law that you need your lights on in the rain) and personally it has never bothered me. Only issue I have is with some of the newer HID kits or LED kits that people install on their cars that throw the light all over the place. Those aren't a concern for me during the day but at night when they come at you with the high beams on it becomes a real problem.. usually a flash to pass and they dim it down.

Had a Toyota rental on a business trip a few months ago and it had this feature that would automatically turn off the high beam if it detected oncoming traffic. I actually thought that was a nice idea since I have at times forgotten I was running high beams at night and got the flash to pass signal from oncoming traffic.
    Hogges likes this.
  7. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I decided to look for yellow accessory lights when I drove my truck during daytime and saw a motorcycle come towards me with the classic triangle configuration, white headlight and two yellow accessory lights a foot and a half or so lower and spread out. It really stuck out, even from a quarter mile away.
    rsteiger likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Interesting find! The first complete replacement internals I think we've seen for the 650. I'm going this direction.

https://www.motocd.com/product/ddc-...ckage-suspension-kit-1996-newer-suzuki-dl650/

So it has rebound and compression adjustment???

I see pre-load of course and an adjustment screw in the middle of that. Often rebound control is at the top.

So where is compression? Thru the lower bolt at the bottom?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know, can't find a website for the company that makes them, just resellers. It's supposed to have compression, rebound and preload adjustment. None of the resellers have a link to the owners manual for the cartridges.

"None of the resellers have a link to the owners manual for the cartridges.

A made in Italy cartridge

Andreani Group has developed the famous Misano cartridge, appreciated all over the world for its exceptional quality-price ratio. Inside it is formed by a 20mm piston which guarantees a better functioning of the hydraulics. Mounting this kit by Andreani, the improvement at the front end can be seen from the very first laps. Braking is more stable and modular and even the precision and stability in the corners are significantly improved.

Comfort and safety are the key words
    Andreani offers the possibility to choose the springs for the Misano cartridge according to the rider's weight and according to the use or the driving style, to have maximum personalization. This guarantees an excellent feeling with the front and the comfort appears decidedly superior.

Having a firm front and more stable at the entrance and during cornering, it also increases the driving safety and it is possible to have much more precise trajectories, making more use of the grip between the asphalt and the front tire, obtaining a safe, stable and fast motion .

Ohlins oil for fork cartridges is required for assembly

<<BUY OHLINS OIL BY CLICKING HERE>>

FEATURES

• 20mm diameter pistons with increased oil passages
    • Adjustable in compression, extension and spring preload
    • Improves stability, control and driving precision
    • Possibility to choose the calibration of the springs based on the weight and style of the rider
    • Settings and adjustments positioned on the upper cap of the cartridge
    Suitable for:

Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom 04-10
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Andreani is a well known and reputable suspension manufacturer. They are very popular in some older (or older tech) Euro bikes as replacement/upgrades. If you go through Moto Guzzi forums you'll find lots of very satisfied customers.

As @eakins mentioned, not sure how they do the compression damping adjustment. Not obvious from the picture where the adjuster is. But, even it if only offers easily adjustable preload and rebound, that would be a big improvement. OTOH, I agree with him that Cogent DDC cartridges will sort 95% of the V-Strom fork issues for a lot less money. Easier to install too.

Gustavo
    eakins likes this.
  12. wanka

wanka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Inmates..A little off topic from suspension...I'm seriously considering this bike. Had bikes most of my life and now 62. I'm looking for probably my last bike to do it all, gravel, highway, town and some 2 up with granddaughter? I'm shorter and this bike well not perfect for me seems ok. As for luggage there are many options, aluminum or plastic. Other than physical size is there an advantage of one over the other? I have no doubts there will be a few slow speed get offs or drops. Do you think the plastic boxes can handle a few of those? Thanks..
  13. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    I did the same.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Hogges and Motonirvana like this.
  14. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Those are PIAA clear flood lamps. My son gave me a can of yellow lens paint to coat them. I put about 6-7 coats on the lenses.
  15. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2020 adventure is gorgeous! IMG_20200209_140336515.jpg
    Hannda and 71CB100 like this.
  16. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    My motorcycle safety class instructor (to get license endorsement to ride) said he rides with brights on all the time, day and night, and suggested everyone do it. I'd be amazed if you got pulled over for it considering the amount of trucks and jeeps I see driving around with their aux lights on not to mention all the crap HID headlight conversions where glare is a huge issue - contrast that with the real safety issue of how many people still hit and kill riders covered in blaze yellow and reflective stripes/stickers on their gear and their bikes. I have ridden day and night with my brights on when I am feeling particularly vulnerable such as in the city but flip them off as I'm pulling right up behind someone stopped at an intersection after dark. In the daytime brights are not offensive whatsoever yet they do add a touch of eye-catching visibility. As much as you'd think it's offensive to folks at night, I think the average joe knows you're only reason for doing it is so they don't run your ass over.
  17. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 62 as well and am on my second 650 Strom now which is a 2017 650. I would recommend soft bags though as the hard ones either metal or plastic can break ankles easily.
    I am seriously considering a downsize after our trip to the Yukon this year as well. With thoughts of traveling Central and South America a smaller bike would be better at this point.
    IMG_0375.JPG
  18. wanka

wanka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious as why you would want to downsize. I've been tossing around the size of bikes for some time including the CB 500X. I like the weight of the Honda but no doubt the Vstrom would be better on the highway and for occasional 2 up.
  19. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mainly size and weight. The Vstrom is wonderful for long trips to Alaska and the Yukon but suffers when you get off of good gravel or hard packed trails. It can be a bear to get back up after you dump it as well. I am very close to retirement and will be taking a lot more time on trips so wont need the Strom to put in those 1000 km day. Want something that can head out on some bush trails and Baja adventures and still pack enough for weeks on the road even if at a slower speed. DR650/Versys 300/KTM 390 not really sure yet.
  20. wanka

wanka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I understand. I'm retired also and I'm also weight conscious, for the bike anyway. I've had to pick up a Wing a few times and it's no fun. On dirt or softer ground is another matter altogether..