2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the 2019 version on my bike and I don't think they are going to stand up to many low speed get offs. They might survive a drop or two.

[​IMG]
    tjzondrz likes this.
  2. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you can see from my profile picture, I have sold my 2017 DL650. I am about 5’5” tall with a 29” inseam and will say that this is not an ideal bike for a short person. Ended up lowering rear and front by about 1” and getting the factory low seat, then it was ok. All of this can be done without much cost. Still top heavy. It can be made to fit most people reasonably well but it doesn’t come from the factory like that. I since bought a BMW GS and other than needing a stock lower seat the overall ergonomics fit me very well out of the box, windshield, handlebar reach, footpegs etc. And at 505 lbs wet (hexhead R1200GS 2004-2009) it feels lighter than the Suzuki due to the lower engine. The Suzuki was a very good and universally useful bike. I had it for one year and 5k miles. But in comparison to the ‘09 GS I picked up for much less than the cost of a new V-Strom there is no way I would go back.
    Btw: the OEM plastic side cases are nice because they fit in close to the bike and leave no hardware behind when you take them off. Mine were a bit hard to close sometimes, everything needed to be aligned just right.
  3. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if 250 and 650 have the same cups. You can check out with a dealer perhaps. From earlier models 650 they will fit on 2017 and up. If you go to Stromtroopers there is more information about it.
  4. wanka

wanka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Hogges. I'm in the same boatish. I know the Beemers fit better however much pricier, having looked at the 750 GS. Used is a little sparse right now and the Vstrom is great value. This is probably going to be my last bike and I'm struggling with paying more for what I think the best for me is. Your info has been helpful yet highlights a conundrum for me....
  5. pdmigs

pdmigs n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got the 19 so not sure if it is the same. I added spacers to the windshield mount and it greatly reduced the wind noise. I put them on the top, then moved them to the bottom with the screen up and down. It worked best with the spacers on the bottom. This allows more air behind the screen.
  6. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for the info.
  8. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    Sorry don't know. I've moved on from the VStrom to a 790 Adventure
  9. pdmigs

pdmigs n00b

Oddometer:
  10. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I have the Weld86 plate and it has a cutout below the oil drain. I could change the filter with the plate on access wise but it would be a mess. I could remove the plate as quick as I could clean up the oil from the filter
    Don
  12. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm looking at the precision rack as well.. did you add a top case or a soft bag?
    Don
  13. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably go with the Ravetech. Ravetech said it fits with all centerstands, another possible concern I had.
    Thanks!
  15. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have a bike with that plastic engine guard it’s a wrestling match to get it over the Ravtech skid plate. It doesn’t fit exactly right, but you can get it on.
  16. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ravetech Mini is compatible, although the lip doesn't go up as high as the filter. Still pretty good though, almost half the price too IIRC
  17. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one I'm talking about. It was slightly too big for the guard to fit over it and have the screws line up. It was about half a screw width off and you have to fiddle with it to get it on.
  18. sailorjerry13

sailorjerry13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had no problem fitting the cowl on the mini on mine IMG_2981.jpg
    dp064 likes this.
  19. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do that?
  20. sailorjerry13

sailorjerry13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cowl? I like how it looks, it came with my XT. Dont want a full skid plate.