2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    ah ok.. I am more of a function than form guy so I went to a full bash plate for ease of access I did not even consider putting the cowl back on - actually could not wait to remove it. Sold it to a guy in TN.

Nothing wrong if you prefer the appearance with it on.
    sailorjerry13 likes this.
  2. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even I prefer function over the look I like if it looks good. That cowl looks pretty good to me and I used to have it on my 2015 with Touratech full skid plate underneath of it. I kept it the same way on my 2017 XT.
    sailorjerry13 and rsteiger like this.
  3. rooster shooter

rooster shooter motorcycle cowboy

Oddometer:
    That would be me. I'm with Rick, I like the look too. And I'll also be getting the Ravetech mini.
    rsteiger likes this.
  4. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We got the Givi Airflow windscreen, helps with passenger wind buffeting up to about 65 mph.
  5. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Legal and required in Canada
  6. Boriqua

Boriqua Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt .. I just bought some inexpensive cam lock straps on Amazon so I can be flexible. The plate has been AWESOME! It has really allowed me to strap just about anything I want to it. Came home with some Ikea type small furniture strapped to it!! :)
    dp064 likes this.
  7. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
    I just took ownership of a 2020 V-Strom 650XT Adventure. Let the farkling begin! First required farkle, Center Stand. All the vendors that I have search listing stop at 2019. I believe the 2019 and 2020 are the same, I just want to double check before ordering.

Thanks
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  8. pdmigs

pdmigs n00b

Oddometer:
    I got a 2019 xt. It came with a factory center stand. The lever to push on has a swoop that looks like it will hit first if you lean over. It almost sticks out more than the rear passenger pegs. I am thinking of modifying it or possibly getting another. Check out the one from SW motech.
  9. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information! I couldn't wait so I went ahead and picked one up. I love this thing! I use a cheap poly top box now but I'm thankful I can easily remove it and use a much larger duffel type bag. It is actually cheaper via amazon than the manufacturer's site.. I think amazon limits or subsidizes shipping fees.
    Don
  10. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
    5908DAC9-46C6-4C00-BBB8-F2FC5E9993BA.jpeg Farkling new XT Adventure. The Jesse top case was purchased at the St Paul MN Adventure Riders swap meet 10 years ago.
  11. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    In Canada and Europe I believe daytime running lights are mandatory and they do add to safety especially during foul weather.....there are many different systems and some run on high beam, but at lower wattage I understand...been this way since 1990
  12. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likely going to put a deposit down on a 19 650xt today and pick up this week. I was looking at the AT and T700. But for the price and what you get - it’s hard to beat the Xt. Going to be asking questions- glad this thread is here. Bash plate and crash bars will be a must. I’m going to see if dealer can install center stand and heated grips before I even pick up.
    Gil Favor and dp064 like this.
  13. rickh123

Oddometer:
    Just wonder why (unless you get it free) you want to get them from the dealer. Buy Oxford heated grips. Perhaps 1/3 of the price of OEM (and much better) and get used center stand. From the previous gen. will work too BTW. For the money you save you can perhaps get engine guards and/or skid plate. Just a word of advise...the rest is up to you.
    Doc.C and Argus16 like this.
  14. jhat

jhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The current gen factory grips are very nice and a step up from Oxford in that they will adjust the heat output if the voltage drops when the engine is idling such as sitting at a light and running heated gear along with an integrated controller.
  15. rooster shooter

Oddometer:
    I have the OEM heated grips on my '17. Pretty simple plug and play. They get plenty hot. The only complaint I have is the small indicator light, blinks 3 times for high setting, 2 times for medium, and once for low. Impossible to see in daylight.
  16. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I called and cancelled the center stand- I will look for a used one down the road- not on the priority list. I do want the heated grips though. SO you guys think the new gen OEM ones are worth it? I get a discount and they will put them on for me- are they decent or do I want the oxfords - IM not worried about price- I want the ones that will work best. thanks.
  17. rooster shooter

Oddometer:
    They are indeed worth the price....$242 at Partzilla. I installed mine, if I can do it anyone can.
  18. rickh123

Oddometer:
    So are Oxford's for about $70-90 on e-bay. For $240 you can get heated grips and heated gloves.
  19. rooster shooter

Oddometer:
    They may be...OEM is made for the application. Hook up is easy and quick. There is no modification necessary as with some of the universal fit type. Everyone is not looking for the cheapest fix.
  20. philbytx

philbytx Friendly curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Koso Apollo.......I believe they are the OEM for Suzuki. Buddy just fitted them to his 2017, really nice. However, I'm not a typical TX motorcycle weeny (originally from UK and years spent in IL), so I don't need them. I have a wonderful pair of Olympia winter gloves that work down to 35F, that I used in IL with my BMW RT heated grips.