2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. cavman69

cavman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    could someone please tell about the panniers on the '20 XT Adventure...do they open on the side or ends? what are the dimensions? thanks, Daniel
  2. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So are Oxford's grips - plug in and play. Perhaps is not the cheapest fix and it works as good as your 3X more expensive fix.
  3. rooster shooter

rooster shooter motorcycle cowboy

Oddometer:
    Oxford's attach to the battery. Suzuki grips integrate with the OEM wiring, hence plug and play. Also, at idle, power consumption is reduced. Oxford's are not capable of that.
  4. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok guys here she is-
    B62D85C2-7709-459A-9B48-71D72BEC8AAB.jpeg
    RandyG, xnihilo, old1959 and 8 others like this.
  5. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    stromsavard likes this.
  6. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed spec, I am upgrading my bike with similar gear-and I have also been up to the Arctic Ocean, in Norway.
    TreasureState and Rollin' like this.
  7. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys - I want to put an order in for crash bars and skid plate. I’m thinking about Givi or SW moto set up. Bike will only be used on gravel roads and trails. I don’t plan on rock gardens - but may need to get through a difficult section once in a while. Anyone have any advise on bash plate and crash bars. I like the price and look of Givi - but the SW seem to be a bit more rugged .
  8. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made a super short screen from the original. It is very good. Before, I had tall Givi touring and Givi airflow. This is much better. Clean air but not too much wind blow.

Attached Files:

rsteiger likes this.
  9. Goodelivin

Goodelivin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I Love it!
  10. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    wOw that's a beauty, first thing I'd do would replace front sprocket with one tooth less for improved get up and go!

Health to enjoy - hope it takes you on MANY life adventures. Great choice of wheels Sir.

Regards;
    Peter
    Scotland
    sailorjerry13 and Doc.C like this.
  11. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Givi bars. Haven't dropped the bike on them yet so can't speak to strength, but they seem strong enough. A hex bit to 3/8 drive adapter will make removing the frame hex head screws easier. Added the SW-motech center stand too, happy with it except for loss of ground clearance. Considering the Ravetech skid plate but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.
    Hannda likes this.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I'm going to try and squeeze off a round this week and purchase a 2018 650XT. Very similar to the one just a couple of post above, except yellow!

The only mod I would like to do is bring the handles closer to me. Or make the handle bars fit like the liter bike. But, I can live with them just being closer to me.
    So just going up 20mm or .78" is fine.
    I'm around 5-11" tall.

Look like 2" or 50.8mm will require some tubing adjustments. My research shows that they have to be moved to the back of the bars.
    If anyone knows of some good 50mm risors that do not require extensive mods, please let me know.

The best product that I found from my research was this.
    They are the 20mm
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-VST...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

upload_2020-4-26_11-26-33.png

upload_2020-4-26_11-28-10.png

Thanks for reading.
  13. Beau D

Beau D n00b

Oddometer:
    Have you put any more thought into this? I'm trying to decide on the exact same thing. When I got my bike I added the Suzuki plastic engine fairing - I think it complements the looks and I wasn't planning to do much more than gravel roads. After spending the money on this upgrade I hate to take it off and replace it so i'm thinking about adding the Ravetech mini skid plate which will let me keep the plastic fairing. The crash bars however remain undecided. I like the look of the Givi bars but the SW Motech appear to be built stronger and have a more robust mounting. Altrider or Outback Motortech are good looking bars also but I don't believe either will work without removing the plastic engine fairing.
  14. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    After read a ton of material and talking to some guys- I bought the T-Rex bash plate and crash bars - Guys love em, lots of great reviews and they are made in TX and I’m trying to do my best to support the small business as much as I can.
    dp064 likes this.
  15. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    My 20 Adventure XT has factory boxes that open on top (forms a cylinder looking down into it) with interior dimensions (measured at the minimal clearance points):
    18" length
    7 3/4" width
    12" depth (plus whatever volume is added from the lid)

For reference, I went grocery shopping and put my whole purchase comfortably inside both boxes without a problem and room to spare. I was able to get a new box of 18" aluminum foil in there no problem!

There are footman loops integrated into the whole thing - really a well made set of boxes actually.

TS
    Hannda likes this.
  16. Beau D

Beau D n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgot about the T-Rex option - good call to support a USA business that supplies products geared towards our interests. I've read some about them on other sites; the pics provided look interesting. I would be interested/appreciative to hear your firsthand account of the installation process and your thoughts as to how much protection will truly be afforded by this option. Of course the more pictures the better. Thanks in advance.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    It happened!
    It happened!

upload_2020-4-30_19-26-59.png

bought the 2019 DL650XT Touring, (MSRP $9,999)

I got a solid deal on a left over. $8,968.
    She was bought in TN, so no title and tags and taxes.
    But, I still have to go to the VA DMV and pay that stuff. Luckily the sales tax is much lower here. 4.3% vs 7.0%
    So, most likely she will be $9,477. I was willing to pay between $9,800 and $10,000! I'm pleased with the outcome. Effing 10/10 on value.

My first MC back in 1998 was a used a 1995 CBR600R F3 that was sold in a year. I might have but 3,000 miles on her tops. My high school good time buddies put on some peer pressure. By the time I got rolling they had sold theirs.
    She was ok.

Nearly 15 years later I bought the brand new left over 2013 MIGHT DR to go touring in 2014. I put over 22,000 miles on her from mid Jan to late Oct!!
    I had just gotten out of the service (USN) in 2013 and had planned on touring much of 2014. I never made it up to Alaska. I decided to spend more time in the inland NW. From 2015- to early 2018 she was a commuter 98% of the time. Around 24,000 miles she really started to smooth out. I sold her before going to Montana (College) because she had 30,000 miles, and you can only ride during the summer and I would be doing other things. I liked the ergos (2" rox risors) and the low down torque. I got $2,600 or so for her. Maybe $2,400. So, really I'm just paying about $6,780 for the Wee-Strom touring.

This new Suzuki will be my first twin. So, I've had a inline four, and fatty thumper, and a L-Twin.

What's wild is that the Wee is sort of just like my cage, the 2015 Subaru Forester.
    Very utilitarian.
    Very reliable
    10/10 value.
    Not great anywhere on the tarmac, just does ok. But handles well for her size and wheel base.
    All bottom end power. I think. I've only ridden the DL650 once back in 2014. I think it was after the DL1000! Of course the engine has been updated from the SV650 upgrade.
    Just good for forest service roads in the dirt. Although I did take the Forester on the Magruder Road Corridor
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nezperceclearwater/recarea/?recid=16482

and she was fine.

Ideally, I'll keep her for a very long time. She comes with a center stand, and easy going crash bars, and spoke tubeless wheels, and a 12 volt socket, so, maybe in 2021 I may go up to Alaska with her. Who knows.
    this summer she will be a run about in between towns during my summer internship. She will not see 70mph for a long time. I'm predicting to be the fuel economy champ on this thread.

I'll post a pick over the weekend.

And provide a brief ride review from the ride back. Maybe two hours or so.
    Bultaco206, dp064, Goodelivin and 2 others like this.
  18. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-4-30_19-41-50.png

Here is where I hope to spend most of my time.

I can't see myself using more than 40hp. The MIGHTY DR made about 35hp and that was plenty.
    Likes like there is good 36lbs-38lbs of torque in that range. She will not have the same snap and beans as the DR (because of the mass differnce) at that range, but she is not a toy.

I passed on the CB500X because she does not have the same SUV like package as the Suzuki. Plus, they all sale at MSRP. My bike was on sale.
    The Honda would be better in tight urban settings and tight forest service roads that turn into jeep trails.

I passed on the Versys 650 because the Wee actually out Vs the Versys!

They had a 2018 DL1000XT that I could have gotten for like just $2,000 more, but I would be paying insurance on a liter bike, and the range would be less. The HP, brakes, suspension would be wasted on me.

I look forward to Saturday.
    ggrant and TreasureState like this.
  19. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 Wee. I've done a few mild off pavement rides, and an off-road riding course. I have the GIVI crash bars, BarkBusters and a Ravetech skid plate. I've tested both the skid plate and the crash bars, and they are both very good. Obviously, crash bars are best at low speed, 'oh shit' incidents but they do work. Ditto for the bark busters. One nice thing about the Ravetech skid plate (full, not mini) is that it does not attach to the engine itself- that is important.

You can also consider the Outback Motortrek set up. They make a complete package of bars, centre stand and skid plate. Reasonably priced and I think quite sturdy.
  20. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have mine for 2 weeks now- I love it. It is so underrated as a sport tourer bike. Very good on the road in the twisties. I have over 500 miles on mine and will be putting more on tomorrow. Like you said 10/10 on value.
    Shep and The_Precious_Juice like this.