1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Doc.C

Doc.C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here yas Go fellas-
    T-Rex Racing crash bars and bash plate.
    1FF3006B-DABB-4BC4-8F18-1E884DCCF106.jpeg 9DB19E3C-ADE6-44D4-B11F-9982F63A5355.jpeg AAA3D4D1-8656-49C9-97C5-4FDEC9F34584.jpeg AE7E7AEA-0468-4C81-8FEE-06E211A943E8.jpeg
  2. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Greetings
    I just put on 77 miles in her.. Candice.

Initial impressions:
    I'm close to 5' 11" tops.
    I got her up to 71mph once.

Ergos are suprisingling good. Elbows have just a light bend.
    Seat is ok.
    If can easily get the balls of my feet down and nearly flat foot.
    Basically no wind buffiting.

Standing is fine. I can lock my legs on the pegs and not really bend over at all.
    I'm really just an inch away from pegs and bars from being dialed in!!

Handle bars are no vibes from 2.5K -4.4K.
    Around 5.5K you can still to get some tingling. Never went past that.

She is smooth as Tennessee whiskey at low rpms chugging along. Like the torque.

At low rpms the seat has a little tingle. But pegs are fine, and like I texted, the handle bars are fine.

Pegs could be lower. But I'll work on that with putting in some cushioning on top of the seat.

Bags are ok. A little more heavy than I thought, but still flimsy.

My buddy helped me put her in the center stand. Not sure how I will.

We took the bags off and I slowly lowered her down flat. Once you move the mirror out of the way I was able to get her up with the handle bar method. My form was not great.
    It was on the muffler side.

I like the instant fuel consumption.
    The wheel steering lock is generous.

She is a little slow to turn in the corners, but that is Rider error. I'll get there.

Braking is way better than the MIGHTY DR.

I really like the clutch assistance. Smart!
    Like the easy lock system for the seat. Way way better than the DR650!

I pushed her around some empty lots and she is a heavy girl.

At times I would blank out and start to day dreaming. So, she is a mile muncher for sure.

In would like 6th gear to be a little taller. Once the engine is broken in, I can see not going over 4.4 RPM for weeks.
    But, you can tell the bike wants to stretch he legs and run hard.
    That is the SV pedigree.

____
    The left handle bar cluster somehow got rotated downward. I picked her up from the other handle bar.
    I just rotated it back in place. I sort of like he it is adjustable. That would prevent stuff from snapping off.
    You can tell in the pick he the left is off.

___
    I think she will do nicely for what I have in mind for her.
    My GoPro gear should arrive the month.

Attached Files:

4. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The same way of thinking here. Last year I had a chance to buy used (like new, 2500 km only) 2018 1000XT. Fully farkled. I didn't go for it. 3 months later I got 2017 650 XT not as well equipped but for $3000 less. Considering the price difference and the fact that for my needs (I don't need more power, better suspension and brakes) it works well for me and I'm happy with my decision. And like you said I don't have to pay more for the insurance and gas. In addition I was able to transfer some farkles from my previous 2015 which wouldn't work on 1000.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    thanks to the feedback.

Yeah, to up grade to the liter XT bike, it would be just $1,500 more or so. They had a left over 2018 DL1000XT.
    For what I plan with the Wee, the liter bike would be a way way over kill.

But, the versatility with the 650 touring is most impressive.

Compared to the MIGHTY DR, on the street the Wee is like light years ahead of her.
    Much better brakes and handling in the turns.

My insurance for total coverage is like $261 or so. I went with Modern America Insurance Group. I got a discount cause I was such a safe rider when I had the MIGHTY DR. :D
  6. rickh123

Oddometer:
    Everything depends of your individual experience and desires.
  7. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    I just did my first 100 (yes, only 3 digits) oil change on my V-Strom 650 XT Adventure. I still own my DR650 (always will), but I do like this V-Strom A LOT! I fought going to the twin for a long time, but glad that I made the jump. I have ridden my DR60 to Alaska, but this bike is much more suited for full tanks of gas, and long roads without a timeline. :)
  8. ZagiFlyer

ZagiFlyer n00b

Oddometer:
    I just sold my DR650 (I'm still mourning that - I couldn't afford both) and put a deposit down on a 2020 650XT Adventure. While I'm waiting for it, I've been looking at (obsessed with) links/sites about the bike. Here is something that I think may answer your question:
    If the Suzuki aluminum panniers aren't rebranded SW-Motech, I'll be stunned.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I put nearly 200 miles on Candice yesterday.

Fun day. I had AGATT going in mid to high 80s. Still fun.
    The engine heat bars never got above 3. It think they go up to like 6 or something.
    I thougth I heard the fan on when I was going up a mountain on a gravel road. Could have just been me hearing things.

I'm starting to get a better fell for her in the twisties. I'm a little sluggish on the left turns.

I went up a gravel road that was sort of steep. I was really surprised how much TC2 came on. At first I thought the rpms were too low and the engine was bogged down, but then noticed the flashing yellow light. I'm glad it was cutting on.

I checked out a really well known tourist spot to see how many cages were there and look for out of state tags. There some pot holes in the dirt road.
    I picked a wrong line and also forgot that I was not on a DR650, and bottum out the under belly. It was the exhaust header thingly on the very very bottum, closest to the ground.
    Scale of 1-10. 1 being a brush that I barely heard or felt, and 10 being damage that requires repairs on the side of the road, it was maybe a 3-4.

Stock tires are a little squarily on gravel.

On the tarmac I find the gear ratios way too close for my needs, but on the dirt roads, the stock gear ratios are nice, and ideal for my style of riding.
    It would be nice if 6th gear was really tall, but that is ok, I could cruised around at 45mph in 6th no worries and still have roll on power on tap.
    So, all in all, I could just go up one tooth in the front and be happy.

Standing ergos are fine, and I"m close to 6 feet tall. I put a heavy sweat shirt in my tank bag and lean on top of her to relax. Plus I rested my left elbow there too. So, like I said before, just rasing the bars up and back an 1" is fine.

I would like the pegs lower, but in the tight twistyes, you do feel more confident with a more aggresive seating posture. Granted I did not come any where close to scrapping a peg.

Engine braking was fine on steep declines on tarmac roads. Front brakes and rear brake were fine. Granted, I was just touring around.

low rpm assist was money on the tight gravel switch backs.

The head lights are good at dark. They really light up the sides of the roads. High Beam gives you more visiblity out in the distance. Granted Im coming off a DR650, which were really bad.

Fuel gauge was flashing with 38 miles to go, but when I went down a mountain, the fuel guage gained a bar, stopped flashing, and jumped up to 58 miles.
    I think I got fuel with like 53 miles showing on range and put in 4.0 gallons. That was full full. Sort of fair. One more gallon of fuel would have me down to .3 gallons left.

Engine does seem to be getting smoother. After 300 miles I started to ride her some higher in the rpms. 6,000rpm now. I'm showing 60.7mpg on the engine life. And that is breaking in the engine!
    I'll be able to get 65mpg no worries. Once I changed out the chain and sprockets after x miles, I'll be able to get up into the 70s on fuel economy.

At the end of the day, the seat was a little hard, but that is on me.

Wind shield was fine all day. No buffetting or loud noise.

You sort of feel like you are down in the bike cock pit, but not like on a big S10.
    The Wee is sort of a hybrid MC for sure. Maybe more like Wagon than a SUV.
    So a Subaru Outback.

I might go ride some today.
    Vrode likes this.
  10. rickh123

Oddometer:
    talking about seat comfort I would suggest Sit&Fly mesh seat cover. Better comfort, higher sitting position, good air flow under your butt at hot days and no more sitting in water when raining. Since you do some off road I wonder why do you want to have bar risers up and back. Isn't up enough and better for your standing position? Unless you need it back for sitting position...
  11. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Thanks for the feedback. I like a higher seating position.

___
    The bars would just move maybe an inch in both directions.
    I would not need to lean forward at the low back as much if my legs are nearly straight.

I'm really surprised at how good the ergos are stock. The 2012-2016 model were funky. Your knees stuck out when standing.

Ohh, that reminds me!
    When going down hill when standing, I could grip the tank with my legs. This was really confidence inspiring. The MIGHTY DR's tank was too small to do that.
    I forgot to put that above.

It's going to rain all week. Maybe I can ride the last week of May.

Have a good'n.
  12. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone purchased a Sargent seat for their 2017+ 650? I’m going to have to make a seat change but not sure which direction I want to go yet. I’ve had both good and bad results with Sargent seats. Over the years I have tried a majority of the custom seat builders, all with mixed results. Have toyed with the RDL Sport seat, but I can’t do any seat that is going to increase my reach to the ground in any significant way.
  13. rickh123

Oddometer:
    I would check Seat Concepts seat in your case. It worked for me as well as Sargent for less than half price.
  14. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have used one of those before on a dual sport. It looks like the Sargent is only $319 since they don’t supply a pan any more. However, I’d have to be without my seat for a a while if I go with the Sargent.
  15. rickh123

Oddometer:
    If you go another diraction it is still half the price and you can still have a seat and do it yourself. Just saying.
  16. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    True enough. I may just give them a go.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings.

Any pro tips on the 12 volt socket?

I need to get something to charge up my GoPro battery charger.

I'm at another person's house. So the outlet is sort of like the kind in a cage?

upload_2020-5-23_20-16-45.jpeg

Thanks for reading.
  18. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I think this would work. It may need to be longer due to how far back it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings.

I have 445 miles on her.

Very slow break in. I should get the first service done next week.

__
    I've asked this before, but did not get a response. Does anyone know hot to reset the trip mileage?

Thank you for your time.