2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ZagiFlyer

ZagiFlyer n00b

Oddometer:
    From page 3-21 of the User manual:
    "To reset a meter to zero, push the ADJUST button or MODE switch (up) for 2 seconds while the display indicates the trip meter 1 or 2, you want to reset. When you reset the trip meter 1 or 2, the fuel consumption meter will also be reset."​
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pro tip!

It worked. You can also toggle down and see the trip fuel economy too.

___
    I'm almost ready for the 1K first service. Should be this Sat.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I looked over the service manual.

It reads inspect valve clearance every 15,000 miles.

I'm shocked. I thought it was at the 600 mile mark.

I know that the range was increased after the SV650 was updated, but did not know the initial 600 mile service did not need the valve clearance.

I'm glad to read this!

Are anyone still doing theirs early?

Thanks for reading.
    ggrant likes this.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I know this is a 650 thread but I had the OEM "hard" luggage on my 14 1000 that look exactly the same and can objectively say they are chintzy. I would roundly recommend the Givi V35's over the OEM luggage. Not only are the V35's both larger (no silencer cutout) but the plastic is much thicker on the Givi, and the locking mechanism isn't as quirky. I had times on my OEM bags where they just wouldn't lock because two of the lower "fingers" required to be in their receptive holes in order to allow the whole locking mechanism to move and due to the flimsyness of the plastic they would warp and I'd lose this alignment. Not to mention, all those mechanics inside the bag for locking had zero access for lubrication or maintenance if things got stiff over time. I took the bags apart on my ST1300 and lubed the mechanics of the locking system and they worked like new. These get sticky and you're screwed.
    RedEX likes this.
  5. HiPERnx

HiPERnx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had problems with a unstable rear top-rack? It is very flexible and it can cause the top-case to oscillate on bad roads.
    I think that's what caused my SW-Motech top-case mounting bracket to brake i Honduras (on my way from USA to Argentina). Note: SW-Motech did accept my warranty claim and gave me new brackets.

IMG_4487.jpeg

Got it fixed by a local mechanic in Danlí, Honduras.
    IMG_4490(1).jpeg

I saw a image on Suzuki's social media, and noticed that the new OEM equiped luggage rack (i think it's Givi) has a extra support for the rear carrier.
    After some digging i found this on Givi's website. Seems like a support bracket that SW-Motech doesn't offer.

Screenshot from 2020-06-10 15-27-57.png

"Ride report" thread for those interested in the trip (the V-Strom is currently in storage in Costa Rica): https://advrider.com/f/threads/journey-through-latin-america-swede-conquering-one-country-at-a-time-gustaf-n.1429320/
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I got the 1 Kilo service done today at the dealership at the same dealership I bought her from.

$153.

Seemed fair. Extra Insurance on the Warranty.

I'll do my own oil changes from here out. I'll do the oil and filter at about 5,000 miles at the least. RPMS will rarely go over 5,000rpm.

The manual reads the next oil change should be at 4,000 miles.
    Get this. The oil filter should be done at 11,000 miles!

___
    I was barley trying to hyper mile and I got 68mpg on the way back after the 53 mile ride!
    360 miles until bone dry.
    So, 325 miles is a cake walk.

___
    Really like the bike. She is starting to handle better. I'm just riding her once a week or so now. Once I start riding her more, I'll not be so up tight.

___
    I road standing for a good while here and there, and at 5 foot 10 or so, the ergos are fine.
    ___

This weekend I'm going to look into the preload settings. She comes stock at 2 clicks. seems fine. I'm no where near 50% on the performance anyway.

I might change the front brake lever. It has 5 clicks, and come stock at 3. Seems ok now, but my hands are small.

__
    Only niggle is the gear ratios. I'm certain the sprokets and stuff are the same as the SV650. Just like the Ninja 650 and the Versys. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

6,000rpm is 80mph.
    I would like her to be doing 5,000rpm at 80mph.
    That would happen with a tall 6th.
    I can actually shift to 6th gear while going 46mph, no worries. My DR650 could only go into top gear until 50-55mph at least. Way less Hp.

___
    Have a great summer.
    RedEX likes this.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I went to gearing commander and checked out the new SV650 Ratios.

It's the same.

However, it looks like the sprokets are off in the rear.
    The Wee has an extra tooth in the rear. No surprise there. Going up in the rear will sacrifice top speed for acceleration.
    The SV has a max rpm of 9,000rpm. The Wee maxes out at 8,800.

:*sip*
  8. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I have a clear understanding of what I should do with rear preload.
    there are 0-5 positions.

1. Keep it as stock: = factory setting is 2. I'll double check this.
    2. Once I go on a big tour with lots of gear, I'll go for a test ride and see what that does to the bike
    3. If I really do not feel much difference, I'll go up to 3 to help prolong the life of the rear shock.
  9. The Sexy Medic

The Sexy Medic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys: I thought these would be an improvement, but the change is astronomical.
    Cogent DDC, Straight Rate Springs.
    ag_streak likes this.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I have about 1,000 miles on her (2019 XT Touring

___
    I was a forest road like road in KY.

I could fell the rear brake pedeal modulate, and the front brake pedal modulate on a fairly steep section.
    I was impressed. I can understand now why the S10 and the DL1000 does not have swithable rear ABS.
    The system is too well made.

I bottum out the bike again. I just kissed the bottum. Maybe where the center stand is located.
    There were some wash outs and stuff. TC 2 worked a lot. Matter of fact, I never really thought the TC would ever come one the bike, the way so many people said the engine was so mellow.

12 volt socket charged up the GoPro Batterys well!

I'll post a video maybe this weekend on the trip.
    ___

I watched a video on how to put the bike on the center stand.
    Wow, it's easy.

___
    Great MC.
    __
    Have a great summer.
    dp064 likes this.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
  12. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I went for a 120 mile rider yesterday. Maybe 65mpg fuel economy.

On a country road with little sharp turns, but with dog leg turns, with the pavement in poor shape, the suspension and handling was fine. Granted, I was no where near 75% of the bikes potential. But it was faster riding than I'm used to. The bike is most likely not designed to do S10 like stuff, just hustle around tarmac and get you where you need to go on a forest road. Granted, I'm just 175lbs with full riding gear. Rear Preload was set to stock. so level 2.

___
    Also, in another county, I went in too hot in a tight curve and pressed the rear brake, and still was not slowing down enough, then gently pressed the front brake and I scrubbed off enough speed to feel good. I was surprised how forgiving she was when I made a mistake. I almost never brake during a curve, but I know I can with the Wee.
    Hopefully, as the years go by, I'll be a better rider with the Wee and slowly start to improve and get closer to using 75% of the bikes potential.
    I do not see me scrapping a peg for a long time.
    __
    On a highway, I went WOT for the first time. I was already going 50mph or so. Maybe 4.5rpm. top gear. No jolt or anything.
    __
    Still would like gears 4-6 to be more taller. Only niggle I have. I complain because the ratios are the same as the sporty SV650. At least the engine is tuned for more torque in the lower rpms. So, I should be happy for that.

Have a great summer.
    dp064 likes this.
  14. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can install a 16t front sprocket. It will reduce the RPM by around 500 at 80mph. I did this and liked the resulting overall feel and shift points.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    thanks friend.

I might do this when I change out the chain for sh&ts and giggles.
    If I ever go touring for months at a time, I think the stock set up is good to go, cause I would just take back roads as much as possible. You can actually just cruize in 6th gear at only 40mph!! No way you could do that in 5th gear on the MIGHTY DR.

The stock set up is great for forest roads.

Now, for commuting, I would go up one in the front.
    I should have the bike for 10 years, so time with tell.

Ohh, I finally stailed the bike.

It was on a flat section at a stop sign. I was just getting too lazy. My mistake.
    dp064 likes this.
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try 11,500 & 10. I think the rpm you quotted are peak power

The Wee may max out on torque at 8,800 but it doesn't die suddenly and it will hit redline, pull the speed in a lower gear then change up once you get to the desired speed if you gear it taller. That does require an adjustment to riding style but it's pretty minor.
  17. RDoellman

RDoellman n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m planning on buying some racks for my 18 650 but probably won’t buy cases right away and will continue using my Nelson rigg bags for a little while. Which racks have the most adapters available or are the easiest to set up with different brands of cases so my options are open when I decide to buy them. Seems that happy trail su might be my best bet. Anyone have suggestions or ideas for me?
  18. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check Sw Motech.
    RDoellman likes this.
  19. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm considering a new V-Strom... Undecided as far as Wee vs 1050. Are you guys happy with the headlight on this generation of Wee?

Are most guys happy with the stock brakes? Or is changing to softer pads and braided lines the standard upgrade?
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    I think the headlight is fair. It shoots way up in the air. Like a telephone wire. so that means if you are going down a steep road, you can see in front of you.

Brakes are good to go, but I do not push the bike hard at all. on a steep forest road, the front and rear abs kicked in and worked fine. Granted, I was going like 7mph.
    If was going like 27mph, I may have kept going.

__
    If you are intersted that much in upgrades, why not try and split the difference and get a left over 1000?

Have a great summer.
    Cactus67 likes this.