2017+ Vstrom 650/650XT

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a follow up to ABS trick mentioned by @rickh123, this system basically crashed the ABS software. It works and I've done it. I tend to hold the front brake while the rear wheel spins, just to speed up the computer confusion. If you turn the engine off using the red kill switch, the ABS remains off, though your headlight stays on, so it is a short term use trick. I've done this quite a few times, so I can confirm that it works. If you turn the engine off with the key, you have to do the rear wheel trick.

You can of course pull the fuse under the seat. (I'm not sure which one it is, but others will know). Neither of these techniques solve your exact request, but it is the easiest occasional solution. Some riders wire in switch to turn the ABS off, and that comes with good reports of success.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    There are wired fuse holders available too.

Basically blades that go into the fuse holder than an external fuse holder for the new placement, plus wires you wire to a switch.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    K&N oil filters are just branded HF Hifiltro filter.
    HF filter are very quality alt to oem.

There is no QC issues since that item is not produced by them.

KN & HF oil filters use the same number.
    I use a RC spec filter for the nice nut on the end.
    dp064 likes this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Have XT wheels ever come up used for sale?
    Or would anyone want to trade for 3 spoke plus $?
  5. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Having seen the inside of a K&N, a Wix and OEM (Suzuki, Honda and Ford) filters.
    I wouldn't run a K&N on anything I own and care to keep. When I buy a new to me bike, the K&N filters are some of the first things to hit the round file, and I've not bought bikes based on having a K&N in the airbox, and dust on the "clean" side.
    If they can't make a decent airfilter, I don't expect them to make a decent oil filter either.

I've seen a number (At least 3) K&N filters fail with split seams, burst canisters and/or big leaks (automotive filters)

There's a video out showing the K&N next to a "Hifiltro filter" and they are not the same filter
    Sure they both have the handy nut on the end, and their outside bodies are painted black, but the guts are not the same.

It's not uncommon for aftermarket parts to carry the same part number it makes cross reference much easier.
    dp064 and eakins like this.
  6. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the suzuki manual.
  7. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealer in my area has a '20 XT Adventure with the factory side bags. How good / bad are the bags themselves?

If I want bags, would I be better off getting a base model or XT (no bags) and adding something aftermarket, or are the OEM bags a nice setup?

Bonus question - what's the throttle lock of choice on Stroms?
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the OEM bags are Trekker Outback, made for Suzuki by Givi (with a Suzuki emblem where the Givi one goes on the "generic" version). The bags are probably as good as any of the lighter gauge, detachable, aluminum bags. If you like the idea of having detachable hard cases and 37 liter aluminum hard cases work for you, then it's probably a killer deal, because it will cost you $1300 to buy them from Suzuki and probably not a lot less from your favorite Givi e-tailer. Plus, it also comes with the crash bars, which would be another ~$300 from Suzuki or ~$200 from the aftermarket. Ignore that "lower cowling", it's a serious waste of materials and energy. More plastic garbage for the landfill. :becca

The question is - do you really want/need side cases? I used to install racks/side cases on all my touring bikes, then I decided it was a waste of money. It caused me to carry way too much stuff (because I had 3 bags to fill, so I always found more stuff to take on trips... :fpalm) and added a lot of unnecessary weight all the time. Not to mention on ADV-touring bikes, it was a liability if you dropped the bike and broke a bag/rack (yes, some people may be better off-road riders, but I know my limitations... :muutt). Different uses, different needs.

The throttle lock question is easy. The answer is always the same - Vista Cruise. :D

[​IMG]

Gustavo
    dp064 and Cactus67 like this.
  9. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good info Gustavo, thank you.

I don't really like how wide the factory cases make the rear end of the bike, but I do like the idea of locking, water-resistant luggage. I could carry what I need with a tank bag / tail pack combo, but it's of course less secure.
    dp064 likes this.
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Security is a relative term. I learned that the hard way with some friends in France. In the time it took us to walk into a restaurant and ask for a window-side table so we could keep an eye on the bikes, someone took a screwdriver and brute force to one of the Givi topcases and walked away with a laptop and some camera gear. OTOH, I have been traveling around the US with a tankbag and waterproof duffel and never had anything gone missing, even after being away from the bike for significant periods of time. So, I suppose it is location, location, location as far as security goes... :dunno

Gustavo
    dp064 likes this.
  11. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

I put in in 3,600 miles on the Wee.

I've relaxed more and trust the bike more, and with that has come better handling and longer rides without fatigue.
    One of the things I do now is wait much later to dive the bike into the turn. Furthermore, I trust the bike when I go into a turn too hot and need to bleed off a little speed by pressing on the front and rear brake calibers a wee bit in a turn.

All in all, she is a great MC for back road riding cause you can cruise around in 6th gear at 40mph and get around 66mpg. In addition the torque from the L-twin engine is really friendly. Sure the engine displacement is a little too big for my needs, but she will last a long time.

FWIW, I live in a area with a sick amount of turns so at times I wonder what things would be like with the Versys 650.
    dp064 likes this.
  12. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you EVER think it would be fun to turn down that inviting dirt road you saw, and go explore a bit off-road, you'll be glad you're on the Wee rather than the Versys, no matter how mild the terrain! :deal :freaky :ricky
    The_Precious_Juice and dp064 like this.