2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does fit the 950 Bolt models as well, so that opens up that customer base. I'd probably make a batch of 20 at a time. If I separate each individual operation (all the drilling, all the welding, all the cutting, etc) it goes pretty fast. The finishing takes the longest. Polished or brushed or whatnot. Polishing obviously takes a lot longer than brushed. But, a simple bead blast could also work, and that would be quick and easy.

So yeah, I'll probably make up a batch of 20 and start selling them on eBay, and see what they'll go for.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Would it fit any other bike makes/models? Maybe a trip to some local dealers to see what single exhaust bikes could be a scrambler if only they had a slanted header pipe?
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get in the forums too. I do cam chain tensioners and a majority of the sales come from the forums.

I think you have a great product, maybe do a length that will get the outlet back further too.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    When I bought this Scrambler there wasn't much information regarding it. Most of it could be found researching Bolt parts and modifications. I've used this thread and gleaned a bunch of information and ideas from the posters here. When I bought the bike it looked like this...

[​IMG]
    One of the visual things that I didn't like about the bike was the almost entirely black engine. I saw the opportunity to change that by matching the silver on the heat shields, air cleaner insert and the left engine cover. I painted the rocker covers and the clutch cover to match but left the air cleaner untouched. I've always been a fan of the "ham can" and/or the "breadbox" designs of the Sportsters and Buells. I thought Yamaha's was equally attractive but I wasn't liking the color treatment and have long thought about reversing the colors. There was also another item I took issue with and that was the fake scoop. The only thing worse than fake boobies is a fake intake scoop. :fpalm

[​IMG]

Since I wasn't sure how the silver insert attached I had not tackled the project. But, in a fit of motocross madness, I promptly stuck the girl in a Wyoming mudhole. :augieThe end result after dumping her in the drink and getting the bike out she suffered a dent right in the middle of the air-cleaner insert. :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

I had thought about buying a donor cover to test separating the cover from the insert but I didn't even have to go shopping, I just made one for myself. Here's the way she looks today. But this is more about the performance aspect of the modification than the visual. I found quickly the insert was indeed attached with double-sided tape. And, even better, there is a large section that's easy to get to and has no tape. It's the front lower edge at the scoop. I simply pried with a wide plastic wedge while gently applying heat and pressure. It came off easily. And so let the process begin.

[​IMG]

At this point I've already repaired the ding in the insert and painted it with VHT wrinkle black. I then marked the area to be removed with masking tape.

[​IMG]

Next I drilled a series of 1/8" holes. Note; the corners are not drilled to the edge of the intended opening. I'm using this as a cushion against my errant filing skills.:lol3

[​IMG]

Next came 11/64" holes down the center of the new opening. 3/8" was just big enough touch the edge of the lip so I went down two drill sizes.

[​IMG]

Next I removed the bulk of the scrap with a pencil router. Then came the files.

[​IMG]

I used medium and fine Swiss files of various shapes to finish cleaning out the now functional scoop. I've taped it with green masking tape from the inside to highlight the opening.

[​IMG]

After sanding and prepping I color-matched the housing to the other parts I had painted previously. The screen in front is #10, stainless-steel mesh. After I cut and shaped it the box is ready for reassembly.

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup of the new and fully functional air scoop. Winter is kicking us hard and it ain't even winter yet. I will get some test rides in to see if it made any noticeable changes. Good thing is I can put a piece of tape over it and do test comparisons on the road without changing any parts. On every Sportster and Buell that I've owned opening the airbox yielded a noticeable improvement. I'm not really sure if there will be an improvement but at least it looks and functions the way I think the factory should have made it.

Besides, if you look closely, you'll see the K&N peaking through the screen.:thumb

Scoozi, SilveradoCA, TonyKZ1 and 2 others like this.
  5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    With Ivan’s ecu flash you’ll gain some power. The airbox is the big restriction for this bike.

Charles.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-11-22_18-1-17.png
    This is in Johnson City, TN.

In a month they should go down to $5,999 tops. Then you can get these even lower.
    Pick your color!!
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Didn't some sell in.the 3s?
  8. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. $3800 with the fees if you financed, $4200 if cash.

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    I wonder why Yamaha and others don't get it, make the bike have some decent clearance with some inventive exhaust routing or whatever, and make it at least 70 hp at the rear wheel without the "hit - miss engine" flywheel weight. Make it run out like a sporting twin, not an Allis Chalmers tribute. If that twin could run close to the XSR700 it would likely have been in my garage instead of the XSR700. The power, the cornering clearance, the ugly shock set up (put on some full length ones to the frame juncture under the seat instead of the stubby ones, with some real travel), and I would have had one. It's like the bike was confused between being a Sportster wanna be and a bit of a flat track look.

What a shame... what could have been...
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The problem is worse than that. The bike is ridiculously heavy. It has wide frame rails, and those limit cornering more than anything else. To get adequate — not good — clearance the bike has to be lifted to the point where most people will find it too unwieldy.

The SCR motor is just too tall. They would have to make the motor a stressed member and remove the down tubes, or make it a dry sump. Either of which is more money and engineering than they wanted to throw at the bike.

To get the bike to decent would’ve been cheaper. weld different bungs onto the frame for the upper shock mounts, and move the foot controls rearward, upwards, and inward. Chain drive. On a stock bike the first thing to hit the ground is the front of the footpeg mounts where they bolt to the frame. Before the feelers even touch down. Several degrees of lean could be recovered had they actually moved the mounts rearward instead of designing an offset mounting bracket that attached to the stock mounting location.

The rear suspension is absolutely abysmal. Short travel, stiff shocks make the bike a kidney buster that bounces all over the road.

That said, I still love mine. I still feel like I’m on the motorcycle equivalent of the General Lee whenever I take it out. But I’ve done suspension mods to make the bike livable. Not even good, just livable. Spirited cornering on this bike requires hanging way, way off, like I’m some kind of wannabe racer boy. Which... is actually kind of awesome.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1, JB2 and HapHazard like this.
  11. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It rocks gravel and well maintained dirt roads just fine, but it stops there. Hit a bump and your kidney and butt have something to say about it. But like Charles, I love it. I don’t have problems cornering, but I am into it with some serious body language. And yeah, heavy as hell with the weight in the wrong place. It is a fun bike and it looks good.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It’s ludicrously bad at a lot of things. And it just has so much character because of it. It’s a blast to ride because it’s just kinda overmatched everywhere. You have to be a little mental to ride it hard. And.... I fit that description!

Charles.
    Dread and JB2 like this.
  13. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been seeing these things on the road more and more. Maybe the blow out pricing is a factor. They look pretty nice in the flesh, err metal.
    JB2 likes this.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I didn’t buy mine so much for the price, although it was a steal, but for the v-twin thump in a Scrambler package. It does well on gravel and hard-pack. If you grew up on dirt bikes like I did then riding on the pegs shouldn’t be an issue. On our trip to South Dakota I spent most of the off road miles on the pegs. It gets real unsettled on washboard stuff even on the pegs. The width, the weight and ground clearance are all limiting factors but it really doesn’t bother me. I love the bike and all of its quirks and I’ve never seen another one in the wild. Its a keeper for me but it ain’t for everyone. Its raw and visceral, full of personality. It requires you to be a better rider than it is a bike.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted hand guards to the SCR950? I bought a set of Tusk guards and they don’t fit at all. The handlebar bend is too sharp, abd the Tusk bars are too short, and also interfere with the stock levers... and even with my shorty levers, unless I put them on the outside of a set of bar ends. But then they’re REALLY too short.

Charles.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So I’ve had nosy of the parts for this for a year. I finally bought the graphics and put it all together. I thought the Tusk saddlebag brackets I modified for the SCR looked a bit fugly when no bags were mounted... so some number plates were in order. They’re just plastic plates from eBay, bolted to a Tusk quick release bracket just like the bags. Number 19 because it’s bike number 19 for me.

936BF559-A6DA-4EB0-B0EA-2F7F49D1B2F8.jpeg

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    I like your thought process. I'm doing the same with the XSR. Putting together the graphics for the tank and the plates. Plus the weather needs to cooparate a bit to do the mounts for the bag supports. Same thought, keep the soft bag supports on all the time, there when needed. Right now it is just graphics editing of the picture, the real stuff isn't done yet.

My sign company guy and I are trying to duplicate the brushed aluminum look of the tank stripes (actual aluminum surface of tank cover) in print for the speed blocks. Hard to duplicate, even with the vinyl that actually has aluminum fibers in it, it won't flex to conform to tank curves. If we can't do it well enough we go with standard white. Plates are a done deal waiting to get the sign shop's logo to put on with the others I want to include, because they work with me for my cam chain tensioners.

xsr700 graphics 2 blk.jpg

Iggy Pop? :-) Are you a punk at heart? :super
    augerdin likes this.
  18. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys worry about this being a one year only model? Or are the parts that are likely to need replacing close enough to the Bolt that they should be available for some time?
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    That. I’m tempted to get an oem tank while they’re still available but otherwise most of the essential parts are from the bolt.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Here is my unique way of solidly mounting some Tusk handguards on my SCR950.

Tusk guards do not play well with handlebars that have a large bend to them. They work best on low rise bars. Seeing as I already bought them, I simply mounted them to the handlebar ends and then cut off the inner mounts. This protected my hands from wind and cold, but we’re not robust.

So I bought the Tusk ATV mounts and damn if they didn’t line right up with the handguards. I drilled an extra hole and the left side mounted perfectly. Now it’s a two point mount and is quite solid.

5A9D4158-4402-4F3E-BA4D-51619658BE2B.jpeg 7627B870-A4EA-4E5C-B4A7-004BDBF5870D.jpeg

I can do the same thing on the right side, but I want to grind some clearance into the mirror mount so that I can keep the master cylinder as close to the throttle housing as possible.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and HapHazard like this.