2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jun 8, 2016.

1. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^Clean looking install! :thum
  2. SportsterTom

SportsterTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow really? There’s a lot to concern yourself with, but the efi is the best part of this bike. Ivan will flash your ecu and give you way better power than you could manage if it had a carb.

Charles.
  4. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Im really considering this bike for my next motorcycle.
    Have anyone done any long distance mulit day touring, off and on road? And with offroad I really mean dirt Nd gravelbtracks and backcountry roads. Is it any good at it?
    I saw and head one the other day forbthe first time, it had the vance and hines short exhaust and the sound was amazing. I can really see myself on one of these
  5. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do a search for "ChopperCharles". He's done stuff with his.
    The_Precious_Juice, TonyKZ1 and sbn like this.
  6. MuttMutt

MuttMutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The SCR950s are awesome on gravel roads, even with the stock tires. It's a long, low, heavy bike with decent low end grunt. The only thing it lacks is suspension travel. Anything deeper than a pothole and you will be looking to get back on the pavement, pronto! Good luck with your search! Jevers
    The_Precious_Juice and sbn like this.
  7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I've ridden it from Durham, NC to Columbus, OH, and a large part of that was on the mid atlantic backroad discovery route (MABDR).

So... the seat is miserable for any kind of long distance. You will need a Corbin to be comfortable.
    The rear shocks are hard. Like, beat-you-up, bruitalize your spine and tenderize your kidneys hard. This can be overcome to some degree via money.
    Ground clearance is crap. I've raised my bike an inch and it's a lot better, but it's still not great. Stock, you'll be smashing the undercarriage on some poorly-maintaned gravel roads. Get the bash plate. You'll need it.
    The bike is HEAVY. Like, ridiculously so. The engine is very torquey. With this combination, it means that on gravel the rear end likes to slide out. Even with nice big knobby tires. If you're an experienced gravel guru, that's not a problem. If you're not... it's an experience, I must say.
    For a comfortable long distance riding experience, I think the bars need to be moved up and back an inch. It'd make standing easier and be less hard on my elbows when seated.
    The stock numberplate shield is too short, and it causes a lot of buffeting. The tall OEM shield is better, but there are better shields made aftermarket.

If you're a spirited rider, this bike isn't the best for you, at least not without extensive mods. The bike is basically a very heavy, rather tall UJM with the ground clearance of a Sportster 883 Low.

That said.... it's a fucking blast. All the little quirks and detriments actually add up to a really interesting fun bike somehow.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and sbn like this.
  8. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey choppercharles. Thank you for that description.
    What you have said doesn't want me not to get this bike. If I wsnted at "propper" offroader I would go for something else. It sounds like a real scrambler, and that is what Im looking, that and with good reliability for years to come.
    Your description makes me drool even more over this beast :raabia
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what makes the big FUN also makes it not a great long distance machine. It's like driving the General Lee on dirt roads. It's not really suitable, it's really old school, and rather ridiculous in every way. That makes it a fun bike, but not really a great touring machine. Next time I ride to columbus, I'm probably going to take a new CSC RX4 or Benelli TNT 300.

Charles.
    sbn likes this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking there may be some interesting modifications possible for those who want a more serious scrambler lurking out there in the Hooligan Racing arena.

[​IMG]

This was featured in Cycle News with some information. click here It is easy to visualize that bike with the lights still on it, maybe downsized a tad.

More digging would find more information on the "scrambler racer-ish" aspect over the general purpose "scrambler" bike ChopperCharles did - no insult to you CC. The bike does have great potential for both how CC uses it and how someone who wants more street tracker would do it. The "General Lee" bike.

Key point - NOW is the time to buy the SCR, prices are at the lowest they will probably ever be for new, because some places you can find 2017s still on the floor. A great buy if you don't plan to sell off too soon.
    Scoozi, SportsterTom and HapHazard like this.
  11. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    “It’s like driving the General Lee on dirt roads” is the best description of his bike I’ve ever heard. It is a ton of fun and it really can handle more than I thought it could. I have taken it on some really rough fire roads and it has done great. I don’t know what it is - geometry of the bike, balance, torque? But I was very pleasantly surprised. I have made a ton of mods to the bike for touring on it and I CAN tour on it, but it isn’t great for it. The biggest drawbacks are range (manageable) and to me the bike really struggles in wind making for an exhausting ride, even with wind protection. Crosswinds are brutal. My old ‘91 KLR650 is much better for touring. But damn is this bike fun, and I do tour in it. Just understand that isn’t this bike’s thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TubeStack, TonyKZ1, sbn and 1 other person like this.
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Same. I made a bunch of mods for touring, and mostly I only put them on now to go to the grocery store. It was going to be my Alaska bike, but I’m looking for something else now.

But for around town it’s a hoot in every way! The bike shines 100 miles at a time.

Slightly taller gearing would really make it a lot nicer on the highway. Still hoping someone comes up with a chain drive conversion as well.

Charles.
  13. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Is the gearing different from the XV950 Tourer from which this bike and the Bolt sprung?
    Possibility it could be? :dunno

BTW, that Two Brothers pipe above really looks 100000% better than the OEM dumpedo, and probably saves lots of road hugging weight, too. It's gotta be worth whatever they're asking for it.:nod
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Take a look at that link to Cycle News to see who did the bike - they put on chain drive. Someone's doing it.
  15. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was doing a little research on these I found that some of the Bolt guys were using a 31 tooth front pully from the 1300's to raise the gearing.
  16. FatRat

FatRat Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello all! Hope you all are doing well in these crazy ass times! It’s been a while since I posted updated pics of the RatSCRambler and I was out working on it in the rain today as i finally had a day off so figured I post an update.

I’ve added 12” Dyna/Sportster rear shocks I bought off eBay, lifted the front forks, Protaper risers & EVO Adventure High bars, hand guards (can’t remember the brand from Amazon), grips (Amazon & i think they are the same as ChopperCharles by the looks), high mount front fender, and custom shorty muffler. Currently using SW-Motech soft pannier on the right side but just ordered Tusk medium panniers. Here are some pics...
    FBB7E893-F76D-4238-B300-CFC064B6446F.jpeg C6CB323B-F333-4ABD-AC8F-3BD43232905E.jpeg 61CEF0E8-91B8-418C-9167-6B486C5B711A.jpeg 8D123B12-9CEF-4D7D-B237-207512344B4B.jpeg
  17. FatRat

Oddometer:
    A few more pics before bars and fender...

1AEE8F80-D422-4D64-9AF3-A61D40C9DB78.jpeg 8EB9B891-46EF-47D9-B094-A6DDE3A329F3.jpeg 128B0390-E3AA-4644-9E11-FB7DA7C3FE31.jpeg CE41A6D1-43CB-4207-B1BC-397D049A4C4D.jpeg
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I like the front fender. Where’d you get that from? Did you paint it to match?

Charles.
  19. FatRat

Oddometer:
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome Bill, from Dawsoville.:D

Do you have a thread link for your build?

Thanks.
    ___