2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jun 8, 2016.

1. FatRat

FatRat Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking about putting this windshield back on but I’ll have to fan up some different brackets as the new bars are to thick for the original brackets.

D227B6C8-9D2E-457C-A9E1-B4E871C953A6.jpeg CBE6C2D7-D117-43F3-A097-DF27154ABC1B.jpeg

Or go with a small screen
  2. FatRat

Oddometer:
    Awesome Chase from Dawsonville! LOL

No build thread yet, I should start one.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Ohh, so you are not Bill Elliott?

Well, have you met him?
    Or at least ate at the McDonld's there in town?

JK.
    :D
  4. FatRat

Oddometer:
    Lol

Chase Elliott is Bills son that races NASCAR. Yes, I’ve met them both and they changed the theme to the McDonalds a while back. The Dawsonville Pool Room is more likely a place you would run into Bill or Chase. Dawsonville is also known for moonshine and very proud of it.

Josh
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, twice now I’ve had the oil light come on.

Both times, it was shortly after a weird start. The first time the bike started on one jug. I revved it a bit and both came to life, and it idled weird for a minute. Then it seemed to settle down normally. I get suited up while the bike warms up a bit, then throw a leg over and ride it. About two miles later the oil light comes on and stays on. Revving higher doesn’t make it go away, nor does dropping to idle. I pulled over immediately, checked the oil, and it was perfect. Plenty on the dipstick, with the bike balanced upright of course. (Aka, level and not on the side stand)

Second time, I tried to start it while the fuel pump was whirring, and the motor struggled to turn over and then didn’t start. Let the fuel pump finish and then started it again and it started fine, albeit it did sound like the battery was on the weaker side. (I’ve been riding my 250 a lot and have been neglecting the SCR)

Again, about 2 miles later the oil light comes on and stays on. The motor sounds normal and power is normal.

In both cases, simply turning the bike off and then turning it on again, starting as normal, fixes the problem. No oil light for the rest of the 100 mile ride.

An ideas what’s going on here?

Charles.
  6. FatRat

Oddometer:
    [mention]ChopperCharles [/mention]

No awkward uphill or downhill that might have caused the light to come on?

Josh
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Is it an oil pressure or oil level light?
    I had a Yamaha Seca 550 ages ago that would turn on the oil level light on steep uphills.
  8. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Straight and level. Oil level confirmed on a jiffy stand too. Simply turning the bike off and on again fixed it. Does the SCR run on Windows?

I wonder if it’s a flat battery issue or what. I’ve got a digital oil pressure gauge that I’m going to rig up just to make sure I’m not actually low pressure.

Charles.
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Hrm, it appears the SCR950 has an oil LEVEL indicator. It’s not pressure. Whose bright idea was that? An oil light should always be for pressure not level. WTF?!

Anyhow, I’m guessing the oil is frothing or otherwise not reading right when the motor is still cold and I’m giving it the beans.

I’ll rig up a real oil pressure gauge if I can.

Charles.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I learned something interesting watching Hot Rod on Motortrend channel. Seems when they dropped the oil level a bit they gained horsepower and oddly enough oil pressure in the upper rpm... due to the oil thrashing around. They used a high volume pan but figured out it worked best around five quarts instead of seven. Seven had the oil up to the crank being thrashed around. They didn't go to four quarts though.
    FatRat and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  11. FatRat

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted Charles... I would like to add an oil pressure gauge as well so I guess I'll start looking through the Bolt forums. Let me know what you come up with.

Josh
  12. FatRat

Oddometer:
    I rode the RatSCRambler to work today for the first time since installing the ADV High bars and it makes a huge difference. These bars also absorb a lot of the vibration. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!!!

Josh
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I've been riding the SCR950 more lately, and I've come to the determination that I'd like this bike a LOT more if I spent good money on a Corbin seat and some better shocks. The seat is absolutely necessary, I'm not enjoying even 50 mile rides with the stock seat. An airhawk pad helps a little, but it can only do so much to help with a seat that feels like sitting on a 2x4 on edge.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and FatRat like this.
  14. FatRat

Oddometer:
    I 100% agree! The seat is my next upgrade. The more I ride it the worst it gets. It seems my arse hates it more every time I ride it.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So, I put the stock shocks back on, with a barons rise up kit.

The FORSA shocks would somehow set up a oscillation that caused a wallow on deep gravel. I’m not really sure about how shocks work to say what was causing it, but so far the stock shocks are seeming to ride a bit better - until the road gets bumpy. Then the FORSA’s extra travel is definitely missed. Going to give this a shot and see how it works out for a bit.

If I want the bike to be actually comfortable, I need to order something the costs real money. Some name brand to get the suspension sorted.

Charles.
    FatRat likes this.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So some updates.

The FORSA shocks are really clapped out at 9000 miles. I no longer recommend them.

I put on the stock shocks with a baron rise up kit, and they were horrible. Worse than the FORSA shocks. But, there’s a reason for this. The barons kit has a bolt that goes though the shock eye, which is too small. The shocks can move up and down by 1/4 an inch. Which meant on a bumpy road there was a ton of harsh undamped action. I machined some bushings with my lathe that had the same OD as the stock shock mount, and an ID that just fits that bolt.

Night and day difference with the bushings in shocks with the rise up kit. Now the bike is Rideable again. Still harsh and shitty travel, but better than clapped out aftermarket shocks.

The seat is still murderous though.

Looks great too.

EA1CB38A-D9C3-40EF-B13E-029EDC224DFF.jpeg

Charles.
    Scoozi, FatRat and TonyKZ1 like this.
  17. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Somehow this bike has redeemed itself on this trip. I’ve been thrashing it on dirt roads and while yes the suspension is harsh, it’s performed very well. A big deal for this bike is the right rear tire. I put on a Shinko 805 and holy hell, it handles so much better than stock or that vee rubber tire I had on it.

On dirt and gravel roads, it just hooks up. No drama, no sideways slide, no pucker factor. stock tires and the vee rubber both slid out easily and didn’t feel stable. I think it’d be even better if I replaced the front mefo Explorer with a Shinko 804 as well.

Somehow for dirt and gravel and rocks and potholes the rear suspension is better than it is for random bumps on pavement. Perhaps it’s the slower speeds. On pavement at 70mph my kidneys bellow and my spine screams every time I hit a bump. On a crappy gravel road going around 30-45mph, the bumps are there but they don’t hurt. At all. Unless it’s a huge pot hole at least.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and FatRat like this.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Mefo Explorer front tire is better than stock, but paired with the 805 rear it's now the slippery tire. I was going through some deep gravel at speed, and getting the rear end a little sideways on purpose, which was actually a lot harder now than with stock tires. BUT predictable, which is what matters. The front kept pushing and sliding, and it was disconcerting having the front tire sliding at the same time as the rear. I think the 804 will be a lot better on the front for biting into gravel. The Mefo has great manners on the pavement, but when pushed on gravel I don't think anything will be as good as the 804/805 with the widely spaced lugs.

Overall liking the bike again. It's still not the perfect ride for me, so it will eventually be traded in on something, but for now I'm enjoying it again. I'm a little leery of spending a lot of money on name-brand aftermarket shocks with more travel, but I do think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a new seat from Seat Concepts. I snagged a spare OEM seat off of eBay so I can send it to them, so I won;'t even have to do the upholstery.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 and Matt-J2 like this.
  19. Rumble-rider45

Rumble-rider45 n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve been thinking about looking for a rock solid small to midsized cruiser that I might be able to turn into a sort of adventure bike for mild off-roading and backroad exploration.
    I gotta say this thread has Inspired me to take a real hard look at this bike and it’s potential, if maybe not super comfortable, in filling this role!
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    This is a huge cruiser. Not small. Not mid sized. It weighs as much as a Buick. It’s a lot of fun though, but just be aware it is a very large motorcycle that carries a lot of weight way up high.

Charles.