2017 Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Eddy Alvarez, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Rumble-rider45

Rumble-rider45 n00b

Oddometer:
    I definitely appreciate the heads up! Been riding a xv1700 for about 10 years now. I can’t help but think of it as a midsized bike lol. I hadn’t thought about where the weight might be distributed though. Don’t imagine it’s much worse than the sportsters I’ve seen set up for scrambling?
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden a sportster 1200 in years, with the rubber mounted engine. I thought of it as a narrow, powerful, and fun. It didn't seem top-heavy to me, but then that one was lowered for a girl. The weights are about the same, the SCR just carries the weight up high. And you'll need to raise the suspension higher still for any cornering clearance or ground clearance. Even lowered the Sportster had more clearance than the SCR950 has stock. The SCR950 also feels pretty wide.

Charles.
  3. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So, I've decided that the SCR950 doesn't make a good touring bike for me. As much as I want it to, it's just not working out. SO, I'm thinking of selling my luggage, and just using it as an around-town bike. If I go somewhere far away, I will have to trailer it.

What I'm selling is Tusk medium panniers mounted to a custom-welded frame with the quick-release features fully intact. The luggage rack is convertible - it's been cut and modified so it can bolt on to the side racks, or extensions can be bolted on that will allow it to connect to the original mounting location. Luggage rack includes a quick-release topcase, which is a Harbor Freight medium case. The side racks have bottle carriers attached, and can carry two 1.5L fuel bottles, which I will consider including. The numberplates are not included, but if you really want the spare quick-release brackets so you can mount your own numberplates, I will sell those too. Lids are attached with cables, tops of lids now have a protective adhesive-backed diamond plate mounted to them, as well as fold-up handles. There is a helmet lock included, which you can re-key to your ignition key. (It's keyed for mine, and so no key will be included). I've got probably $1200 invested in this setup, not counting the time involved to weld it and build it and paint it and all. I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near that. I'd love to get $800 for this setup, but I realize even that might be a big stretch. So make me an offer?

Pick up in Durham NC.

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm now probably going to sell the bike in the spring. If anyone wants the luggage make me an offer, even a lowball one. :)

Charles.
  5. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shame about the bike CC. I wanted one and followed you for a while. Ended up not getting one as my local dealer had some bug wouldn't budge on MSRP. Probably still has 'em. I wished Harley made a Sporty like the SCR!
  6. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’m kind of sad. I like how the bike looks, I can live with how it handles since I’ve raised it up a bit, I can even live with the top heaviness. But what I can’t live with is a bike that injures me. My back can’t take the SCR, And I could easily spend $1200 fixing the suspension and putting a seat on it... to have a bike that’s still a huge compromise, and still something I don’t want to tour on.
    I’d rather spend that 1200 bucks on a different bike. Sad as that may be, I just feel like I’m throwing money at this Yamaha trying to make it something it will never ever be no matter how much I try.

Charles.
  7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I paid off the bike a while ago, and I did finally get the title. So I'm going to put this up for sale in the marketplace soon. I'm going to strip all the luggage hardware off, but keep the hand guards, crash bars, skid plate, and flyscreen on the bike. I have the stock seat, muffler, and fork boots too. Grips too I think. I'm missing a stock kickstand, I only have the modified one.

To get top dollar should I:
    • Remove the Baron's Rise-up Kit, buy a replacement kickstand off of eBay, and return it to stock ride height?
    • Reinstall the stock exhaust?
    • Try and sell it with the luggage racks?
    Basically, I'd rather the bike sell with all accessories for one price, rather than hold onto bits of a bike I no longer own until such time as I can bother to sell them on eBay. Thoughts?

Do you guys think $5000 is too high for a clean bike with 10k miles?

Charles.
  8. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, accessories are almost worthless at resell. Basically, the only person that may pay extra to get your accessories is a person that wants that exact accessory.

For instance, I'll pay a few extra $$ for a bike with decent luggage since I often use it... but I'll pay LESS for aftermarket mufflers and "tuners" unless the factory stuff comes with it.

If you want top dollar, strip the bike and sell accessories separately.
    If you want easy and a faster sell, leave everything on it (especially large items).

I don't know how SCR prices are holding up, but cruisers in general are going pretty cheaply in the used market right now. Of course, that's often location dependent...
  9. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weren't these going for $5k new old stock a year or two ago?

I only buy used bikes devoid of accessories, except maybe luggage.
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    There were stellar deals to be had at one particular midwest dealership chain, which bought a crapload of the bikes from Yamaha. Everywhere else the best we could hope for was $2000 off MSRP. Mine cost $7000 out the door, with the obligatory $900 in dealership fees. Used low-mileage models are listing for $6000 on facebook marketplace and craigslist, and over $7000 on cycle trader. Kelly Blue Book is $6305. I'm not greedy, I need the space and $5000 is coincidentally the payoff on my new Benelli Leoncino.

Charles.
  11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    not telling you what to do, but I have got to where when I sell a bike, everything I have for that bike goes with it. I have to many parts in the garage. Someday I will drop dead and Mrs B will sell them for pennies on the dollar anyway.

I also tend to shy away from bikes with aftermarket exhausts, high performance air filters, and "tuners", unless the OEM equipment comes with it. So basically, just because someone spent a crap ton of $$$ with Holeshot, doesn't mean I should want the bike more.... Now if they bike has luggage I can use, and/or an aftermarket seat, then I may be willing to pay a bit more for that.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I get that. I don't have anything except a SuperTrapp slip-on with a custom midpipe. No tuner, no special airbox mods. I could probably turn around and sell that.... so I'll probably put the stock muffler back on it.

Charles.
    Oilhed likes this.
  13. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With that info, I'd say you should be able to sell at $5k without too much trouble.
    You'll probably get a few $4k offers with the potential buyer pointing at the somewhat recent dealer sell-off, but you can always (politely) decline the offer.

Plus, it's still spring and there's plenty of riding season left for this year. You're pretty close to the optimal time for selling.
    Stasher1 and TonyKZ1 like this.
  14. MuttMutt

MuttMutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For comparison, there is a new SCR for sale at a dealer in the Mpls area for $6,000. I paid $5,000 3 years ago and at that time it was a great deal. Last spring there was a dealer near St. Louis selling them for $3700! I think you're in the ballpark with your price, Charles. Good luck with the sale. Jevers
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    After taking the scr950 for a ride today I noticed the headlight was pointing at the ground. The Denali style headlight bracket just relies on friction to keep the headlight adjusted. On rough roads there isn’t enough friction to keep the beam from wandering. So I spent 15 minutes to make a little bracket so that I can use the stock spring and aiming screw from the original headlight housing.

the spring wasn’t quite long enough to go through the full range of adjustment so I added a plastic spacer made from the plastic part of a generic ring connector of all things.

16F14E09-2ACF-4DA7-9466-FA7F0118478D.jpeg

Charles.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Man, the $3500 and $3000 offers were almost constant. Without even coming out to see the bike they were spamming me. I'm sorry, but a 4 year old 950 is worth more than 3 grand. I had it priced at $4800 on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, which is $1500 under kelly blue book to begin with. But I stuck to my guns and just waited for the right buyer. He came, looked at it, took it for a quick run up and down the street, and offered me $4600 if I'd take the Supertrapp off and put the stock exhaust back on. Since the supertrapp cost me over $600, ($379 for the muffler, $50 for the TIG welding on the midpipe, $120 for the hydraulic pipe swag tool, $25 for the correct fitting, $35 for the materials, $40 for the carbide-tipped hole saw kit) I readily agreed. I can probably resell it for $300 or so and be only $100 shy of what I actually wanted for the bike.

I also have the full luggage set. Not sure if I'm going to try and sell it on the SCR950 forum, or just cut it up and use the quick release mounts and tusk panniers on a different bike.

I don't really have a bike to put those on right now though, so... who knows.

Charles.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  17. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you please tell us a bit more about the headlight replacement? Denali copy to replace the stock H4 reflector/lens combo?
    How is the beam pattern, range, dipped vs high beam, general qualiity? Improvement over stock?
    I have a Yamaha XJR1300 that probably uses the same unit as the SCR and XSR bikes. Could still be variants for European vs American markets, though.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Low beam was just about as bad as stock. High beam was excellent. Low beam pattern was good, just dimmer than I liked. (Stock beam pattern was terrible AND it was too dim, so I guess it's still an improvement over stock). I prefer the Sunpie 5.75" headlight models off of Amazon, they work great have a good pattern and are sufficiently bright, but they don't have the mounting bosses on the back for the denali style mounting bracket. I really wanted to use the stock headlight bucket, because I liked how it looked and didn't want to attach ugly mounting ears to my fork tubes.

Charles.