2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah... it clearly was.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. I'm currently telling myself that my 1st gen AT is lighter and that the cable throttle gives a more direct engine response, making it a better offroad bike. I almost believe me.
    EmmEff, Noprogram, Pcfly and 3 others like this.
  3. hammerun

hammerun Secret Eleventh Commandment - never fear.

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly envying that I can't get Adventure model unless to sell my Queen
    But I'm happy, that my beloved brand keep keeking Beemers and oranges
  4. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Does your AT serve and fulfill the exact same purpose and mission as when you bought it? I thought so. Sounds like you need a good ride to concentrate on. It's not about the bike, it's about the ride.
  5. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With my 30" inseam, the new bike is a no go, thankfully.

New battery will be nice. Added price for new model seems very reasonable.

Sent from my Z798BL using Tapatalk
    neanderthal likes this.
  6. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

I only want the fuel range but without the bulbous tank. My bike its me very nicely as is; no buffeting, so don't need the bigger screen, i can't quite flatfoot it so I don't need the taller suspension etc.

I really want a 1 gallon underseat tank because I don't want to spoil the look with an ugly fuel wart hanging on the side of it.
  7. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all about suspension. If they stiffen it up enough, it will work fine, but if they don't I'll need to send it off. The seating position works better for us offroad. As far as gear hauling, we aren't expecting to haul huge amounts even though they sure show some loaded down bikes in their promo videos.

I'd like to see some specs on spring rates, but going by the videos, the bike rides higher up in the travel with a lot of gear on the back. Crossing my fingers.

The Super 10 needs more torque, it's lugging more bike! :hide
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The press release says it can be retrofit?
  9. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    id like a better look at that rear rack. thae little plastic one on my at looks like it would break if i carried my 3gal rotopax on rough roads.
  10. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    According to the press release it’s an upgrade on the base model as well. I wasn’t implying this earlier, but I would indeed infer that it could be retrofitted, seeing as there is no mention of changes to the frame of the base model.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    That would be nice if that were the case. I noticed the passenger peg has been changed as well, but the mounting position is now different.
  12. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pillion pegs look welded on now?
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It looks to me like the bolts are now on the underside of the subframe instead of the side.
    windowto likes this.
  14. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    https://camel-adv.com/
  15. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I guess you missed the part about me not wanting an ugly fuel wart hanging of the side of my bike.
  16. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Actually I did see that but my mind instantly went to rotopax setups. I actually think the Camel tanks integrate nicely enough, especially considering that they'd most likely be hidden behind luggage (in my case at least).
  17. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    I have no issues with the fuel range of the standard bike. Off pavement I can achieve ~50mpg by hovering around 30mph, which is pretty well my comfort zone on anything other than smooth forest roads, where I might see 45mph (still achieving high mpg's). 250 miles range is plenty for what I do, and for what nearly every other owner does, I'd wager.
  18. ripping r

ripping r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I wont be selling my 2017 for an 2018 anytime soon. but I do hope to fit the bigger tank and have a closer look at the seat. I have the ato rack so no worries there. longer travel would be nice to. but if the tube have problems like the older ones. than there no good. I really dislike the new dash. looks so cluttered.
  19. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Paint is always to each there own but I find it funny that BMW put gold rims on the new 850GS. The other thing with paint jobs, bell bottoms, and styling in general........if you wait long enough, whats cool isn't and its just a matter of time before it is again. I like the 30th anniversary paint.

I agree with you.....simple is always better. I'll keep my cable and as far as the new improvements......its to lure more of the high end crowd with gizmos. The new throttle by wire just means next years (or next two years) bike will have CC. They are just stepping up slowly. Like anything else, slow improvements to lure more inventory movement.

I can show you a picture of a TAT trip I went on two years ago where I hauled way too much luggage and two tires across half the country.......the rear racks plenty strong.
    neanderthal likes this.
  20. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Post it up!