2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Lower speeds for long distances at a time will increase your fuel economy. Lots of stop start will reduce it. high highway speeds will lower it.

It's all in your throttle hand.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    My ATAS seems to like staying as low in the Rev range as possible, keep it below 55mph and it easily makes 56-57mpg with knobbies. (Motoz rallz front motoz tractionator adventure rear). If I am really nice to it I can break the 60mpg mark. Manual fwiw Screenshot_2019-05-20-17-52-35.jpeg
    davyjones and itsnotajeep like this.
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Thought I had attached this with the previous post. Fail on my part...

The two spots where I got 49mpg are on the freeway for the first one, and the second one I was running gravel roads and steering with the rear wheel. :-)

Tires also have a significant effect, changing from a tkc80 front to the motoz Rallz gained me 3mpg. The only thing I can figure is that the motoz has a stiffer sidewall 2019-06-05 07.08.31.jpeg
    davyjones likes this.
  4. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crazy good mpg. I average 44, never seen over 50 on a tank in 14k miles.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    6E6A3E58-335D-4E1D-A2F1-68DA3A748C0E.jpeg So far this has been my average commuting to work so more like 80% freeway speeds well in excess of 70+ mph

The 48 was when I first got the bike and rode for a day in the mountains
    davyjones and Sloowpoke like this.
  6. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what mine is like. Heavy commuting. So and go traffic. Occasional spirited throttle twisting.
  7. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is about what I am getting also with full givi alum paniers at 65 to 90 highway miles most of the time. If I get any higher then 115 the front end seems to get jumpy.
  8. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Try either dropping the front down in on the forks 10mm or increasing preload on the rear. Your getting air lift on the front making it lighter.
    That should resolve your problem but it will also make the front end turn in quicker FYI
    Washsnowghost likes this.
  9. Jon@Camano

Jon@Camano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have similar issues on my frame spur. Took to dealer and they said it was structurally sound. I like this bike but there have been too many issues with wheels/spokes, switch gear, and poor welds. I guess this is the new standard from Honda - very disappointed. DSCF1120.JPG

Attached Files:

davyjones and twinrider like this.
  10. DSM8

Oddometer:
    While it is not pretty they are solid welds.
    I dont see any obvious lack of fusion, undercutting or such. Not like in the other pictures where you see a physical gap between the weld bead and one of the frame tubes.
  11. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    We are hitting 100 degrees (gets up to 115 or so peak summer) here and I am quickly learning the drawbacks of the factory handguards and the giant madstad shield. I'm going to fiddle with the shield or remove it altogether for the summer, but for the handguards- I still want protection in a fall. Could I get a set if barkbusters and just use the metal guard and save the plastic part for winter?

I wish the AT madstad bracket was like the Vstrom I had where it was the same screen mount holes so you could use other screens with the bracket. I had a shorty for summer and a barn door for winter.

Finally got the bike fully settled with new SKF seals and the new Scorpion Trail IIs. Damn the bike is borderline perfect.
  12. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes you can buy just the barkbusters without using a guard.
    davyjones and TequilaSqueela like this.
  13. Washsnowghost

Washsnowghost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put a two brothers composite exhaust on my bike, doesn't sound to bad. I seem to have more power and about 2MPG better gas mileage. But I wont know for sure until I take a longer trip. It was less then a 1/3 of the weight of the stock exhaust.

Attached Files:

davyjones and Getnout like this.
  14. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    Well, I took my old Vstrom shorty screen and drilled two new holes for the top of the madstad bracket. Fits just fine and really small. We shall see how it works. Looks terrible tilted all the way back, but I'm going for all airflow.
    1560118307752.jpg
    davyjones and Getnout like this.
  15. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting how your bike is stacked on top of another Africa Twin crate that says ' ^Place no heavy objects on the top of the crate^' I'd surmise that an Africa Twin in its crate (yours in this case), could reasonably be deemed as a heavy object! :hmmmmm
  16. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a couple of weeks I'll be fitting Hyperpro progressive springs front and rear. 20mm lift overall. My 2017 AT OEM forks seals haven't leaked so far, but whilst I'm messing with the forks I'm going to fit SKF seals also. How did the seal change go? Anything to look out for disassembling/installing?
  17. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does it sound compared to the stock exhaust? I think my biggest concern with replacing the stock exhaust pipe is that I love the sound of it! lol

Is that a camera mounted on the front light bar? Does this automatically record when you are riding?
  18. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    That is correct. I have one on the front and one on the back. 3 minute loop recording on an ignition relay. Starts with the bike and stops with the bike. I don't touch a thing. GPS is built in so it can trigger for theft and also maps my rides.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  19. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    blew my front fork seal agian, any one know the fork oil weight? fork oil level (per side?), fork oil amount?

i think i remember its 721ml, @ 110mm. but not 100% sure. cheers.
  20. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    Per the factory service manual:

If these should not be posted let me know and I will remove them. I'm not versed in the validity of posting portions of a factory manual. 567657849.jpg 275711170.jpg
    davyjones and michaelkozera like this.