2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have absolutely no idea how the fu%"& people are getting such shitty fuel economy, fuelly shows average fuel economy for AT/ATAS at 45mpg-US (5.2L/100km).

i just got back from a ~2000km BC trip, of which ~1000km's was off-pavement and about ~300km's off-road. i was doing ~130km/hr, passing aggressively at ~160km/hr on the highways and on the dirt i spent at least a good 200km's in 1st gear....... huge elevation gains and drops, as high as 3,000m at some points, and as low as 600m at times, several times a day. i rode at what i would consider "aggressively", constantly rooster tailing the back end, constantly breaking traction, and enough wheelies that i lost count.......

yet at the end of the trip, (GPS confirmed).

1988.2km's and filled a total of 84.223L------> 84.223L/19.882= 4.24L/100km (55.52mpg US).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how is this possible? does the 40t rear really make that much of a difference? i dont think so. does hyper mileing a 1000cc bike really make that much of a difference? if so how does one explain me going 140km/hr and still getting less then 4L/100km's (60mpg US)???

even for our ~6,000km's trip to california, i was doing 140km/hr at times WITH panniers and almost 100lb's of gear and gas on the back of the bike. still averaged 3.9L/100km (60mpg US) for the whole trip, average speed on the highway was 120km/hr. also spent alot of time in stop and go city traffic.

like yes, i would consider myself a hypermiler, as im always upshifting/short shifting. i speed up before a hill then scrub speed while ascending (as long as no traffic behind me), coast downhill if its steep enough, never lug the engine, i dont use the brake often as i just lean the bike right over to get through a corner. every car i drive/driven i get 20-30% better then the EPA sticker fuel rating.

i run regular pump gas 87octane with that ethanol crap in it. i change my 10w30 oil exactly at 12,800km's as per manual, fuel injector cleaner every oil change, re-use/ clean the air filter every oil change, running manual recommended pressures of 33F/41R, and i dont idle the bike, i just start her up and gently go.
    Olde Phart and neanderthal like this.
  2. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have 5 theories as to how people get so much lower fuel economy then me:

1- they ride with the rear brake engaged, or brake alot then re accelerate. amazing how many people u see braking for no reason at all.

2- they run shitty, low quality 2nd/3rd-party gasoline, like that shit you get from safeway,super store or costco. as ive noticed a really big hit with fuel economy with low quality gas, aprox 10-15% worse mileage.

3- running full knobbies and/or low tire pressure.

4- lack of maintenance, dirty filters, dirty chains, etc, etc.

5- people dont measure their fuel/distance correctly, or do the math wrong. alot of people will fill 4L and calculate at 60km's, far to small of a data set. u need to ride hundreds of KM's and fill 20-30-40L of fuel to get an accurate reading.
    also, people using the onboard dash fuel economy readout, which is almost always wrong.

i donno, im speechless as my life time average so far for my ATAS is 3.8L/100km (62mpg US). and i dont exactly baby the thing.

Best ive ever done was our ~1,600km's trip to ainsworth hot pools, averaged 3.3L/100km's (71mpg US). mind you we had the wind at our back for almost half the trip and rode like ~80km/hr , but still, i was very pleased with the fuel economy that weekend
    neanderthal likes this.
  3. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

Hmm. Thanks for the reply.

Like @redneckmech said, seals failing due to too much oil would be a different problem from what the standard ATs are reporting. As I get it, those fails seem to be due to upper fork tubes that were originally designed for a lighter bike and flex with the AT's weight/ loads.

I haven't heard a definitive answer to whether the problem is fixed with the 2018 model, or with the ATAS. If its true there are no reports of similar fails on the ATAS, that would be a good sign. And it would suggest the guys who have tried ATAS uppers as a fix on the AT models are on the right track.

So I was looking for consensus feedback from ATAS owners about performance of the ATAS forks.

Nice pics from that BC ride. :thumb

4. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Redneckmech. Do you think it’s worth putting on the sock given it may restrict the flow at low fuel levels which is exactly when the problem is occurring? I know you’re a mechanic and just wondering your opinion since I haven’t ordered one yet.
  5. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I honestly think the benefit of cleaner fuel going into the pump/filter will outweigh the drawback of a slight restriction at lower tank levels. I will have to look at it, it may be possible to add additional holes near the bottom of the sump to give more fuel flow. It is not going to be structural in that area so I don't think it would harm it.
    Overall the flow should be fine without any additional holes in the sump but I tend to overkill on stuff...

I haven't ordered one yet but likely will be as soon is I hear back from my dealer, although I have pretty much decided that I am going to add the guglatech either way...
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks Redneckmech. Appreciate your input in the matter.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

I always use hypermiling techniques (coast to stops, short shift/ get to top gear as quickly as possible, maintain momentum, slow for the climbs and coast as much as you can going downhill, etc,) always.
    My biggest problem is that i'm often pressed for time and fucking off. 3- 4 tanks in a row at 80mph or higher will knock down your average very quickly. I might be going to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks, from Dallas. Mum lives in Phoenix. That's 1000 miles away, then another 400 to LA. Trust, if I ride i'm not taking the scenic route. i'm gonna haul ass down the 10 (80mph limit in west Texas and lots of people going 100.) get a free nights sleep at mums and take my time to LA; it's only 6 hours. Do 1500 miles at over 80mph and you're gonna be in the low 40s mpg wise. That'd be 18mpg or less in my car at those speeds (1995 Mercedes E320 sedan. Also requires/ prefers premium. 50c a gallon extra in many places these days)

I monitor my fuel economy and can't tease it up because I decide on the spur of the moment "i'm going to X" (and "X" is often 700 miles away,) tomorrow to take a picture of their city sign." I'm doing a thing where I go "around the world in the USA" so places like Paris Texas, Johannesburg California, London Kentucky, Prague Oklahoma, etc.

But otherwise, in my normal commute, I can get 50mpg readily. Too many traffic lights though.

If i do go to LA, i'll probably take Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) up to the Bay area at a leisurely pace (it's a fantastic fucking road) but that won't in any way make up for the 1500 miles of hauling arse to LA. It is what it is.
    michaelkozera and redneckmech like this.
  8. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Well, I just spent an hour and a half, 2 cans of brakeclean, and all of the nuts that I had (1/4") in an attempt to clean all of the flaking sealer off of my tank. There was a whole lot of shaking going on!

I was mostly successful as I got a LOT of crud out but there is still some left that just won't come out. I am tired of screwing around so I just ordered the guglatech filter in addition to the KBS tank sealer kit.

20190807_191810.jpeg 20190807_194320.jpeg 20190807_194128.jpeg 20190807_195914.jpeg 20190807_195825.jpeg 20190807_200001.jpeg
    Getnout and Squily like this.
  9. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Don't think it is necessary but I decided to add extra cutouts for fuel flow for the last bit of the tank. Not perfect but with it being a thin plastic part it was difficult to clamp solidly. 20190807_204422.jpeg 20190807_204809.jpeg 20190807_210436.jpeg
  10. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I just got back from my Honda dealer where my bike is waiting for the back ordered fuel pump and they called Honda and apparently 2 days ago Honda issued a recall on the ATAS. I asked about installing the guglatek filter and sock and they asked Honda and said not to put it on. If down the road this happens again they may not cover it under warranty so they were not interested in installing it like they had told me a few days ago.
    Anyway the service writer said that the recall may speed up the supply of fuel pumps on the way to affected bikes. I asked if I could take my bike home and the answer was it may affect my warranty and she said they ship the old parts back to Honda for refurbishing. So she said Honda will usually cover under warranty an issue that has already been addressed if it occurs again.
    I wonder if anyone has written Honda about their displeasure at having their bike unusable while it waits for repair. I plan to!
    Getnout, chittyrox and deadzed like this.
  11. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have riding tips for someone that's never road with panniers? I know I'm wider in the back now, that my braking distance is longer. Is there anything else though? Are they more likely to highside/lowside? Anything like that?
  12. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    Watch out for the protective posts by gas pumps. I snapped a pannier off on one of those the first week I had em.
    relichunter and Motorwerx like this.
  13. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    I'm glad Honda finally stepped up an issued a recall on this problem. With this being the second time my bike has been down for over a week for the same problem I'm more than just slightly annoyed at the situation. I still have not heard back from my dealer but I finally decided to heck with it I'm going to fix the problem once and for all and won't have to worry about it again. I have a new filter on order, a guglatech pre-filter on the way, and a KBS tank sealer kit. I've gone through fully cleaned my tank to get rid of any of the sealer that has softened up and plan on sealing it as soon as everything comes in.

I sincerely hope that the parts availibility for everyone else gets a whole lot better because the entire month of August is too friggen long to be waiting on parts.

On another note I have had a bunch of the crud out of my tank soaking for several days now. None of my samples show much of an effect. The most difference is with carb and choke cleaner and even it is working very slowly.
  14. jkmcgill

jkmcgill n00b

Oddometer:
    sea foam not so much? thanks for posting on the solvents, was curious if it was reasonable to expect they would dissolve it, but sounds like not that effective?
  15. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So redneckmech this must be the second time you’ve cleaned your tank out?
    A guy on another forum(AT forum) pointed out that the recall is not yet posted to the Honda powersports website and when I looked there was no recall yet for my serial number or atas bikes. I’m just going by what the service writer at the dealership told me. I’m not convinced that Honda has this situation figured out.
    Lots of bikes were issued new tanks but not me. And are the new tanks any better than the affected ones?
    redneckmech likes this.
  16. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I'm in the learning phase myself and so far where I notice the additional weight the most is in two circumstances, the first being getting 'er off the sidestand (hell, I gotta pull the left one off to even use the centerstand) and balanced to be ready to ride. The other is when making the transition into or out of a turn and into another and the degree of which this affected handling of the bike surprised me the most.

I had the unpleasant circumstance of having to stay hard on the throttle to overcome some Mercedes-Benz fuckwittery whilst passing and having to go into a right-hander at speed followed by left-handed sweeper and I really had to push hard on the bars to rotate through the transitions. So much so as to be uncomfortable and it threw me off my intended line by a good bit. All this on very nice hot and predictable pavement. I think being on gravel and such will give me the puckers...

It's kinda like the old joke "How do I get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, kid, practice." Load those up boxes with appropriate weighted ballast and ride fully loaded in familiar turf to help ya get the feel for it!

Good gettin' loaded to ya!
  17. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    B12 Chem tool was the most effective at turning particles to sludge but to be fair it started with smaller particles (it was hard to keep everything even)

The remaining three did not show a significant effect in the 3 day period I had them soaking although I am sure that given enough time they might.

20190809_210455.jpeg 20190809_210525.jpeg 20190809_210548.jpeg 20190809_210607.jpeg
    Getnout and jkmcgill like this.
  18. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    How do you like the Mosko moto bags? I am looking for something similar, my old ortliebs do not fit the ATAS as well as they did my Strom due to lack of effective tie points.
  19. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Yep, second time through this. First was at 4k miles about Sept of last year. This time was 15k miles. First time I let the dealer do it as it was under warranty (first time I have had someone else work on one of my vehicles since I was 14). This time I plan to fix it right...
    I am the first person that I know of to have it happen a second time although it is possible someone else has.
    chasdog likes this.
  20. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Wider, much wider. If you are offroading with hard bags be careful, If you dab, your leg gets thrown back into the bag and it could break a leg or hurt like heck if you hit wrong/hard. If a hard bag catches a stump or log it can throw you off of the road (ask me why I am a fan of soft bags for offroad now) .
    windowto and 97707 like this.