2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Wider, much wider. If you are offroading with hard bags be careful, If you dab, your leg gets thrown back into the bag and it could break a leg or hurt like heck if you hit wrong/hard. If a hard bag catches a stump or log it can throw you off of the road (ask me why I am a fan of soft bags for offroad now) .
    windowto and 97707 like this.
  2. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that! I also ride with soft bags. They can be more of a pain sometimes to get on and off, but the offset is worth it in my eyes when I hit the trails.
    windowto likes this.
  3. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Honda has issued a recall, they have not posted it live yet. They replaced my fuel tank and fuel pump, with the same part numbers that came on the 2018 ATAS.

I just got my bike back yesterday, after waiting for 4 weeks. I think it will make it on the 2700 mile trip back home. But I am not convinced that Honda fixed the issue and I feel like it will definitely come back. I plan to do another 3k miles of riding (~5700 miles) in the hot weather, and with less than half a tank the issue shows back up. More to come on my side...

And yes, I also plan on a nice letter...
    chasdog likes this.
  4. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea chittyrox it makes you wonder if Honda is on top of this or is just kicking the can down the road and giving you another defective tank, especially after hearing redneckmech is on his second round with this.
    chittyrox likes this.
  5. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm still learning the bike. Just hit 2k but it's mostly roads. Mostly straight n 70mph or more. I hate it but at the same point it was my reason for getting a bigger bike. The lil wrr would do it but it'd also be screaming along at 6000rpms or more. Wind would blow my front around like crazy. With just a duffel on back. This thing is great as far as that goes.

I still want quite a bit of goodies n farkles. I'm actually thinking of selling the wrr to get everything I want sooner.

I want more dirt capable tires but I do quite a bit of highway riding. So I'd like a 70/30. I think a 50/50 might wear a little fast.

Has anyone seen or tried to get high compression pistons? It is nice that she can run 87. I try to run ethanol free though so normally I run 90+. I still prefer weisco but they don't make anything... they might on a custom order though... just one of those things that I'm running the gas so why not go for more bang.
    chasdog likes this.
  6. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Well lookie what just came in today, now all I am waiting on is the tank sealer kit. 20190810_102624.jpeg
    chasdog and Getnout like this.
  7. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine showed up the other day too. Excited. I've never done the tank sealer process. Watched a couple videos on it. Doesn't sound tough at all. Watch out for your paint though. Let us know what you think after doing the full process.
    :super
    chasdog likes this.
  8. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I really like the Mosko stuff and prefer them over the SW-Motech hard cases which I also have. Even though the Mosko bags are soft they hard mount to a rack system unlike, say, the Wolfman systems that use straps and tie-off points.

I chose the SW-Motech Pro rack/pannier set up for its robustness in frame strength and rigidity, the additional 3rd foot that fits in the lower OEM recess in the "offroad" option for a more secure mount and how easy they will detach from the bike with a couple of 90degree retainers on each side.

It took some finagling with the nice folks at Mosko to sort out the mounting of the wedge on the rack, but some elongated pucks on the back side were the permanent fix. They've been soundly thrashed about for some time now and nothing has loosened up or presented a problem. Some folks don't like the looks of the attached wedge on the bike but I see it as easily replaced crash 'n rash protection for the back half when that time comes.

Good flexible carrying capacity to ya!
    Getnout, Amphib and redneckmech like this.
  9. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    That sounds exactly what I am looking for. I have a set of Happy Trails racks and it looks like the Mosko Moto is a direct fit. It is nice to be able to grab luggage and bring it inside/into camp without having to fiddle with all of the straps to re-tie it on each morning.
    The ATAS doesn't have good tie points for my Ortliebs and they keep working loose on rough terrain.
    Getnout likes this.
  10. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a fuel pump in the Honda wrapper?
  11. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Fuel filter/housing. I am going to reuse the existing fuel pump.
    chasdog and Getnout like this.
  12. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    wondering if someone could lend a hand.

so my rear rotor/brake is getting warm to the touch as i ride. like if i ride like 10-15 mins highway, never touch the rear brake, use engine braking to come to a stop and the rear rotor is warm, like i can hold my hand on the rotor warm but not so hot as to be forced to let go. front brakes are cold to the touch. if i ride for 2hrs+ the rear rotor is the same temp.

ive already disassemble the entire rear brake, nothing is binding, pins are/were greased, pins slide/slid freely, pads are worn evenly, shims are fine, and the sliders are clean. i also checked the rear brake lever, returns smoothly and effectively, no binding.

any one care to do a quick 10-15 mins ride for me and not use the rear brake, and see if theirs gets warm too?

at this point i think its just suppose to be that way from factory as i noticed with the bike jacked up the front brake make a "shwish shwish" sound as all brake rotors do, while the rear brake makes the same noise, it does sound allittle bit louder but not by much.

both front and rear wheels spin freely and if turned by hand come to a stop at nearly the same time.

thoughts?
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was rumor that honda is going to use this motor in a side by side.If it is true the after market will most likely start making kits for this engine.Surprised you actually like wisco stuff.There slugs (and a low hour crankshaft)have caused me a lot of grief and money.
    chasdog likes this.
  14. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Guglatech and new fuel filter install pictures:

20190810_195515.jpg

The fuel pump appears to be made by Mitsubishi: here is the part number in case anyone needs it later on.

20190810_211036.jpg

Pressure relief valve

20190810_213552.jpg

20190810_212548.jpg

I may have gone overkill and added more cutouts.... I honestly don't think they are necessary but since I had it out why not...

20190810_213700.jpg

Wiring routes for reference

20190810_213805.jpg

Mazinga fits tight but is able to slide on.

20190810_213912.jpg

20190810_213945.jpg

20190810_214254.jpg
  15. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the fuel tank issues isolated to the AS?
  16. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge, yes. I don't know of this issue being brought up on a standard AT as of yet.
  17. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the sounds of it I've had better luck with them than you have.
  18. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice post @redneckmech . Great to see pictures. I'll be doing mine this week. :-)
  19. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Redneckmech very nice pictures. Thanks for the tutorial and commentary. I just hope my dealer does a better job of getting out all that crap than yours did. But probably not and next year I’ll be doing my tank etc.
    Getnout likes this.
  20. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    no one can give me a hand? help me out with my inquiry? i would much appreciate.