1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm in sorta the same boat as @Olde Phart , no rain but haven't had mine out since our BDR ride. I will check when I get her all serviced and cleaned up. I too was wondering if you had the park brake (DCT). Really the nature of a caliper without any sort of return springs, like drum brakes, these pads you can assume will ever so lightly touch the rotor with no force until braking is applied. My feeling is if you can touch them with your bare hands like you say, should be golden. If they burn you or make water/spit sizzle, yep, too damn hot for a little rip without use. Just my thoughts. Anyways, hopefully somebody else can check real quick for ya. I'm about a week out.
    Amphib likes this.
  2. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a 2018 6mt.

And yes. Rear rotor Just warm to the touch. But the front rotors are cold to the touch.
    Getnout likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might just be heat off exhaust header and cat blowing on it.
    michaelkozera and Getnout like this.
  4. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the midst of all this, thought I'd put a smile on everyone's face!
    Screenshot_20190811-202923~2.png
    I do love my Honda :rilla
  5. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh. I never thought of that. Makes sense cuz the rotor gets to a certain temperature and never gets any hotter. It would be getting hotter over time if energy was being added by friction.

Also. Swing arm is massive so kt wouldnt get hot at all.

Nail in the coffin would be if someone else tested this out to confirm.
    Getnout likes this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taking a short 60 mile ride tomorrow and will check that out.Pretty sure that it is as that cat puts of tons of heat.I was looking at rear pads today and going to have to change them out soon as getting thin.1st change was at around 8k but bike spent most of its life in dirt so expected that.Tomorow is all highway and will not use back brake((I mainly use front brakes anyway on highway).Just for the hell of it will grab a thermo gauge out of the garage I use for powder coating parts on bikes and shoot them.Slow day tomorrow lol.
    Getnout and michaelkozera like this.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides my fork issues having a blast with this bike.I was thinking about the T7 but this bike has such a sweet engine in it.Spent most of Saturday laying down some pretty high speed miles and pushing my shrinko,s to there limit in the corners.Damn fine do everything bike.Going to be kept in the stable for at least 100k
    rbsride365 and Getnout like this.
  8. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was gonna check mine yesterday but I kept using the rear brake. If no one else has I'll check tonite.
  9. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I meant to do this over the weekend but not using the rear brake makes me feel like I gone full retard.

I went out after work. 2019 atas standard. My brake gets warm too. It does seem like it's from the exhaust cause the swingarm felt warm.

I am wondering if you think its dragging for another reason? My rear brake has smelt hot before, which is weird cause unless I'm stopping in a hurry I use the rear often but lightly. When I was practicing fast stops it didn't smell but when I was riding around with the side cases empty it did. I was definitely working it hard practicing stopping compared to cruising around with empty cases... so far it's just once I noticed the smell but I'm watching it.
    michaelkozera and Getnout like this.
  10. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    thankyou for trying this out.

i did indeed confirm today that it was the exhaust/CAT heat that was causing the rear rotor/caliper to get hot. i know this because i put a big thin plate over the cat to direct heat away from the swing arm and the rear brake was cold to the touch!
  11. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well today I called Honda customer service to see what they know about the fuel tank issues in the atas and the rep. Had actually heard of the issue on the bikes.
    He had not heard of a recall yet so once again I am not sure why my dealer said there was a recall.
    He couldn’t tell me when the fuel pumps will be shipped but he did see I was going to get one when they are shipped.
    I got the address of 1919 Torrance Blvd. in Torrance CA 90501 to send my letter to Honda.
    He said a case manager will call me back with more information in a day or two.
    I’m also curious as to the percentage of ATAS bikes that have or are having the fuel tank ,fuel filter and pump issues. Any idea or educated guesses?
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checked mine today and very little warm up at 30 miles.
    Getnout likes this.
  13. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My count shows 15 folks just this year who have reported the issue. All of which, like myself, who experienced the issue in 90+ degF weather.
    After a "new" fuel tank and fuel pump, it made it back home from a 1900 mile ride back...for now....
    chasdog and Getnout like this.
  14. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    With all the fuel tank issues and people stripping left and right, maybe an opportune time to ask....

So I dropped my standard DCT and now the insurance is repairing it. I would like to fit the ATAS tank and plastics, but the fuel pumps for the standard and ATAS has different part numbers. Logic dictates that it would only be the length of the arm for the float for the fuel gauge, but that the rest would be the same.

Can anyone confirm or reject this? Anyone know of other issues we could expect with the transplant?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
  15. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about fuel pump, couldn't see it being hugely different. Side cowls etc, are fair bit different.
    No cowl at front of tank either. There are difference in airboxes, I think more internal though.
    Can't see it being an impossible swap, just parts.
  16. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks chittyrox! Nice to know how widespread the problem is. There are quite a few on the AT forum with it as well. Hard to know if they are on both forums like I am and how many others are out there and not inmates of the forums.
  17. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:

There are some differences in the looks, shapes and the way the plastics are attached.
    Due to the number of pins, tabs, clips and thight fit, there are chances that you either need to replace every plastic part or the fitting won't be as good.
    If the insurance covers everything, it willbe just about replacing parts. If you have to pay for the parts that need to be changed but are not broken.....
    Honda plastics are not cheap
  18. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:

Following will replaced anyway:
    • Light/instrument tower is bent, so nothing lines up.
    • Both side fairings and some other bits and bobs inside which I'm not sure about.
    • Tank
    • Screen
    • Heated grips
    • Crash bars
    • Front mudguard

This is what we're looking at:
    • ATAS tank is about $600 more than standard. But I reckon this would be a much better bet than the piece-of-crap Safari came up with if it'll fit without too much hassle
    • If tank is ATAS, then change fairings and screen to ATAS so all match up and colour-scheme is the same
    • I'm exchanging the OEM heated grips for Oxford.
    • Still chasing crashbars. Thinking Altrider but looks like Heed would be the most cost-effective - already got a quote back from them. Anyone have a bad experience with Heed?
    • Stick to YZF front high-guard

Since ATAS is not common in WA (to the best of my knowledge its not even offered for sale here in the west), dealer has to chase parts availability etc. Big crunch is the fuel pump - if I have to replace the fuel pump as well, then it would not be financially viable. In that case I'd be better off getting the old tank back and stretching that
  19. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definately a must on switching the OEM Honda heated grips with Oxford. Much better thought out..

As for the fuel pump...what I can tell you is that the fuel pumps between the AT & ATAS models do interchange. There might be some slight switch overs, but I have seen somebody switch over the fuel pump from an AT to the ATAS DCT. PM me if you would like to discuss more.
    Squily likes this.
  20. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2019 ATAS from a dealer in Spokane WA.