1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just checked prices for the OEM parts and realized that in Europe we have absolutely ridiculous prices for honda spare parts.
    You aussies, pay double than americans and we pay double than you. This AT to ATAS conversion, just doesn't make sense here.
    However, make sure of all the additional bits and pieces needed as it could be a good amount of money.

I guess you know it already, but I found this Australian website so you can check part numbers: https://bluecitymotorcycles.com.au/
    Squily likes this.
  2. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:

I think I'd go with the Camel ADV tank instead of the ATAS tank.
    chasdog likes this.
  3. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Already have a 10l pod-tank and I also carry 8l Rotopax. Need more... :D

Edit: Something not a lot of people understand, but you DO need large fuel capacity for Outback Australia and around 30l is probably minimum if you want to go unsupported. I prefer around 35l upwards. Just been to a congregation last week and a few guys came via the non-conventional routes and most were carrying more than 50l (at the start). When fuel stops are 300km apart on the conventional routes, you can see where this is going...
    chasdog, chittyrox and Amphib like this.
  4. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Sounds like in your case having the collapsible fuel bags is best bet it allows you variable storage options if the bugger tank is too expensive we use dromadory bags over here they work well and pack small

https://www.msrgear.com/dromedary-bags
    Amphib and neanderthal like this.
  5. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    And fuel-bladders burst in the heat, they smell (and so does everything that comes in contact with them), they sit too high on the bike and alters the centre of gravity too much and makes the bike handle like crap in the sand and in general they're just a major PITA.

Been there done that. I know a lot of people use them, but for me they're a last resort option, not an every day option.
  6. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought I was a true rider, but you are on a whole another level. I'm trying to be like you when I grow up!! =]
    OneAUout and chasdog like this.
  7. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I coated the fuel tank a couple days ago. I ended up using the full 12 gal kit because I got to thinking about the surface area vs capacity of our tanks. Honestly an 8 gal kit would probably be about perfect if somebody made one..

There was a bit less than a quarter can left over once I dumped the excess out.

To make sure there was no puddling I also used a pair of long needle nose pliers and some paper towels to soak up the excess I couldn't pour out.

I can't stress enough not to let tank sealer puddle. When it is thick and curing, gas bubbles form in it and it will turn to foam in those areas.

I thought mine was completely set up after a couple hours and went to bed. Turns out it was not and I got a couple small drips which you can see bubbles in. (I don't have pics but will post them up later).

20190813_170419.jpg

The cleaner was first in the tank, I allowed it to soak for a couple hours while rotating the tank. The stuff made my duct tape I used to seal off the tank come loose. To do it over I would make sure I had corks for each hole before starting

20190813_171001.jpg

20190813_165747.jpg

20190813_180756.jpg
    Inside the tank after cleaning

20190813_183628.jpg
    The rust-stop (phosphoric acid)

20190813_190437.jpg

I used the rust stop in two different doses, so as to allow venting without spillage. The first half I plugged the fill on the tank and sloshed it around the front of the tank. This pic was taken after the first half was etched.
    Squily, Amphib and chittyrox like this.
  8. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    20190813_193137.jpg

20190813_200842.jpg

Inside the tank after the second half was etched

20190813_195255.jpg

20190813_201742.jpg

I then dried the tank on medium heat with my wife's hairdryer for 2-3 hours (whenever the hairdryer is missing my wife now checks the shop, I have a history of using it for random projects.)

20190813_205730.jpg

The lid was glued on so be prepared. ...

20190813_205830.jpg

Mix slowly, do not shake or whip as it introduces bubbles

20190813_221308.jpg

This is the remnant that was drained out of the tank

20190813_215305.jpg

This is what remained in the tank that I soaked out with paper towels. If doing so make sure it is done early enough that the coating is still soft and can re-cover the area. If not soaking it out make sure the tank gets roatated for several hours to ensure it is evenly spread.
    windowto, Getnout, Squily and 3 others like this.
  9. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like qiute the process. Great pictures!
    Looks mighty clean in there.
  10. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talk about over engineered........... We're only talking about an air box too, not the Space Shuttle. Ugh, engineers frustrate me.
    :muutt
    IMG_20190815_163033.jpg IMG_20190815_163044.jpg IMG_20190815_163222.jpg
    windowto, chasdog, chittyrox and 2 others like this.
  11. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    chasdog, TALLGUY and Getnout like this.
  12. Getnout

Oddometer:
    They need to......... somebody needs to.........hell, I don't care who it is as long as they listen. :rofl
    windowto, chasdog and Junglejeff1 like this.
  13. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I would think that with the fuel tank / fuel pump issues that the Honda and KTM engineers do talk with each other...they both have issues :rofl
  14. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    how would this bike be for a weekday commuter? 400 miles m-f in bay area freeway and san Francisco city streets? i am also looking at a new versys (2018) 650. the at (2017) is used, 5400 miles and $9k before any taxes etc. the versys dl is $9300 otd.
  15. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    IMHO the DCT alone makes it an ideal commuter, especially on the hilly streets of that area. The height improves visibility & the narrow profile makes it easier to take advantage of your lane splitting laws.
    neanderthal, DSM8 and Getnout like this.
  16. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I replaced my 14 dl1k with this bike as my daily commuter its great for lane splitting and the 250plus mile range is nice too
    I am in so cal traffic for reference
    neanderthal and Getnout like this.
  17. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    In Honda's defense, the volume and rigidity of the air box can make a difference of several horsepower. My mechanical engineering senior design project was the design and optimization of a single cylinder 4 stroke 250cc MotoGP bike engine. The airbox volume and intake runner length was surprisingly critical.

But here I go frustrating you further
  18. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of pictures of the (mostly) cured coating. KBS recommends 96 hour cure time and I am at 72hr. I did utilize this time for a valve check though so all is good!

20190815_214410.jpg

20190815_214436.jpg

20190815_214420.jpg

The above picture shows where I got a couple of runs. Since the coating was thicker in that area it bubbled a little bit. I am not overly concerned with that area but make note that even if you think it is set up rotate the tank for another hour or so. ..

20190815_214448.jpg
  19. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Fan bloody tastic for commuting.
  20. Getnout

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes was my screen full-o-shit!!
    IMG_20190816_161514.jpg
    Pcfly, redneckmech and thanosgp like this.