2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes was my screen full-o-shit!!
    IMG_20190816_161514.jpg
    Pcfly, redneckmech and thanosgp like this.
  2. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Yep, I would call that plugged... Mine wasn't that bad the second time around but I didn't let it get to the point where the engine was cutting out.

I took a careful look at the filter but I don't think there is an easy way of doing an filter bypass and external filter mod like is possible on the VStrom. I am probably going to cut my old filter apart and inspect it to see if there is something I am missing with an external inspection of it. An external filter under the seat would make it a whole bunch easier to fix on a trip.

Link to Vstrom bypass:

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html

I did this mod on my 03 Dl1000 with good results.
    Getnout likes this.
  3. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. Lots of crap on that filter. So what do you think it’s from, welding slag, flux from out of spec welding methods? Looks like some of the small particles could make it thru the filter and pump. Wonder how the injectors like all that stuff.
    Getnout and redneckmech like this.
  4. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    This is only the prefilter for the pump, anything that got past this would likely make it's way through the pump and get caught by the high pressure fuel filter that is after the pump.

I still think the filter is undersized for this large of a machine. The Vstrom filter has about triple the filter area of the AT (but it is also $250). A lookup of the AT part number shows that Honda used it on machines from 250cc on up which makes it plentiful and brings the cost down.
    bjorn240 and Getnout like this.
  5. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks for the explanation resneckmech. Wow $250 for a fuel filter, sounds a bit steep! I’m outta touch with current prices.
  6. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    The above conversation got my curiosity up so I took a dremel to my old filter. It didn't have as much crud as I expected but with the element that dark from foriegn material, flow was certainly restricted.

Looking at the outlet from the filter I still don't think we will be able to bypass it easily. 20190817_091134.jpg 20190817_091412.jpg 20190817_091606.jpg 20190817_091810.jpg 20190817_091930.jpg 20190817_092137.jpg 20190817_092156.jpg
  7. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @redneckmech is that filter not replaceable? One has to cut the plastic case just to see the filter?
    chasdog likes this.
  8. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    Correct, the element of the filter is not able to be replaced so you must replace the entire housing. Honda part number 16730-MKA-D82

On a related note, I have everything put back together and fuel in the bike. When I started it up the pump was much quieter than before I changed the filter. If your pump sounds abnormally loud (this is very relative, on my bike I could hear it over the engine running) it may be an indication that the filter is restricted particularly when paired with the bike being down on power.
    Squily and chasdog like this.
  9. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    I had a friend of mine just have this issue two weeks ago and found that same white residue/chunks in the tank. Bike started exhibiting issues around 12k miles with a stumble then stop. His bike was a 2018 ATAS.

On the road, not knowing what exactly was going on, he would fix it by shutting the bike off then back on again. It would work for a bit then stumble like crazy again and eventually stop.

After hearing about it from his riding buddy, I told him I remembered coming across this issue from a thread on the AT FB page. Anyway, after taking the fuel pump apart they cleaned the fuel pump screen and related items. All has been fine since.

Here’s some pictures from the AT FB page.

68F049C2-11D2-426E-ACC8-39C50FDCFD28.jpeg

FDF015D3-C015-4981-A91D-2F0767F052A6.jpeg

60F89591-FCDC-4861-A847-888BD3A18B57.jpeg
  10. Getnout

Getnout Mmmmm, Micro Brews!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Pcfly
    I had the exact symptoms. I was riding the Oregon BDR and was definitely in the middle of nowhere.......God's country but what a crappy place for this to happen. It only messed with me a few times. I've now cleaned tank & pump and am now running the Best Rest screen and sock. Way more surface area.

Seems like every manufacturer has their own little issues. Really wish that wasn't the case but apparently this dirty tank this was missed by Honda's quality control...........big time.
    chasdog, chittyrox and Pcfly like this.
  11. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dirty tanks are pretty much standard on big KTM adventure bikes, honda catching up? :)
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did harley buy honda and no one told us?
  13. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @redneckmech have you tried to break down the stuff that is clogging the filters with WD-40. I still think what we are seeing is something put inside the tanks to keep the welds inside the tank from rusting. I assume something similar to Cosmoline. Do you think what you are seeing is paint or a foreign matter that is clogging the tank?
    chasdog likes this.
  14. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m really curious as well of what that stuff is composed of in the tank.
    DSM8 likes this.
  15. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cosmoline shouldbreak down with gas. It's how I remove it at work...
    colddog likes this.
  16. redneckmech

Oddometer:
    As best I can tell it is a sealant that was placed on the weld seams and then degraded in the fuel.

I did not try WD-40 however I tried multiple other solvents including medium reducer(for painting), seafoam, brakeclean, Carburetor cleaner, and isopropyl alcohol. Neither of them worked particularly fast but isopropyl alcohol and carb cleaner each seemed to have the most effect.

If you look at the weld seams in the tank in this photo the white stuff that is flaking off is what I found to be the majority of foreign material plugging my filter. 20190805_161959.jpg
    windowto, chasdog, Squily and 2 others like this.
  17. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    My guess is since this was machine welded what your seeing is the shielding material used on the backside of the weld at time manufacturing like a flux residue if this wes electroseam welded instead of say mig welded that would mKe sense
  18. GMM

GMM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cleaned my tank and installed the gugaltech filter last weekend. The cleaning regime I used is as follows: white vinegar (acid), trisodium phosphate (base) to neutralize the acid, water rinse, gasoline rinse. The vinegar completely dissolved the white stuff. I agree with the theory that the stuff is a by-product of the welding process.
  19. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO n00b

Oddometer:
    I am just having the same trouble. Thank you for the good information.

Attached Files:

• p4.jpg
      p4.jpg
      File size:
      118.5 KB
      Views:
    • p5.jpg
      p5.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    chittyrox and Getnout like this.
  20. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Did some research into the flux residual theory from the welding process and in all cases use of an acid based cleaner was the recommendation but since we are no concerned with post clean electrical conductivity the process the person outlier earlier is a good base to start from vinigar which is a mild acid and easily cleaned with water. I would used WD40 as my final wipe-down as it displaces moisture or if being really pedantic use 90% alcohol which is hydroscopic and will absorb any remaining water, use hair dryer on inside then do final wipe with wd40.

Ill be doing this to my tank in the next week or so.
    chasdog, Junglejeff1 and TETSUHIRO like this.