2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an opinion about the Altrider rear luggage rack vs. the SW Motech rear rack as far as top boxes go. I'm concerned that Altrider's mounting relies on such a small area and the weld strength of the ATAS's rear rack vs. how the SW rack mounts to the tube with points that are a little further apart. I will be mounting the 42 liter Givi Outback Trekker aluminum top box to it and doing some two up riding also. Try not to get an excessive amount of weight in it but can't say it's always super light either. Any preferences on either?
  2. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ATAS rear rack is VERY sturdy. In a deer strike endo I had my aux tank torn free and the mounting plate bent around the rack but the rack remained undamaged. Here's a very blurry pic of it.

Attached Files:

rbsride365 and chasdog like this.
  3. GMM

GMM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used compressed air to dry the tank after the acid/base flush. After the tank was dry, I flushed it with gasoline. Once I got the bike back together, I filled the tank completely to the top with gas (bike was on the center stand). I figure if any water was left in the tank, the ethanol in the gas would take care of it.
    chasdog likes this.
  4. GMM

GMM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the SW Motech rack and 42 liter Givi Outback case. This setup is very sturdy and should not have a problem supporting two up riding. The only issue is that the case slants forward due to the angle of the stock rack and how the SW Motech plate attaches to it. I'm going to try to level it out some with some spacers when I get around to it.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  5. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Hope everything worked out for you after that. Deer suck. We've got plenty where we live and I've been lucky a time or two. I guess I won't worry about it. I think the Altrider might give me a little more real estate and looks like the case might mount a little further back off the pillion seat.
  6. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Picked up my new bike yesterday. Think I'll absolutely love it. Hadn't ridden the AS version before. Bought a manual. Couple things. Does this engine run a little warm? I'm coming from a Suzuki Vstrom where you never felt the engine heat. I know this thing is wide at the bottom and right in front of your shins. After 20 minutes I can feel the heat coming off of it. Maybe my test rides were never long enough to notice but thought it strange. 2ndly, removed the skid plate last night to make sure I had everything I needed tool wise for an oil change on the road this weekend. Discovered oil on the front left corner of the motor that had dripped onto the skid a little and also on the bottom of the plastic cable cover on the front left side of the motor. Hoping that someone just spilled something trying to get things prepped. Definitely motor oil. Cleaned it up well and will ride again today and take the skid off and look again. Hoping it's dry! After reading all the negative stuff on here I'll admit I have a little anxiety over this whole thing. My Vstrom never had any problems at all or needed anything but consumables during the entire 63k miles I owned it. IMG_1262.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure the oil filter is snug and on properly. I haven't noticed any heat issues on the ATAS.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  8. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I will double check. No wetness around the entire filter seal that I could see though. Even ran my finger around it.
  9. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! Unfortunately it looks like you might have the same issue that I did on my '18 ATAS. I had the same oil accumulation in the skidplate as well as specks on various plastics and even up to the windscreen. Looking around I couldn't trace the source, but it seemed like it was making its way down from higher up on the engine. The most noticeable was it accumulating underneath the clutch cable on the side of the bike. Dealer tore it down and figured out it was the valve cover leaking. Replaced the gasket and it still leaked, put the valve cover on a bench and it was warped. Replaced the valve cover and the gasket and I haven't had any issues since. Wasn't anything of my doing, just came that way from the factory because I remember noticing what at the time I thought was excess grease from the triple clamp being thrown up on the windscreen on my ride home from the dealer with 2 miles on the bike. Covered by warranty, but was a huge pain as the whole process took over a month.

Some photos of mine for comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rbsride365 likes this.
  10. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Let's hope not. I guess we'll see what happens when we get home today. I was thinking it looked like it was coming from above. We will see.
  11. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    my dct had an oil leak close to the dct oil ports. shop repaired it three times (o-rings etc) and it just got worse. finally they changed the cover gasket- said it was probably damaged in the factory during installation. fixed the oil leak
    rbsride365 likes this.
  12. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO n00b

Oddometer:
    In the past, oil leaked from the rubber seals of my African Twin. That part can be resolved by caulking again with a liquid seal. The manufacturer warranty is valid. p7.jpg p4.png p5.png

Attached Files:

• p6.jpg
      p6.jpg
      File size:
      166.8 KB
      Views:
    rbsride365 likes this.
  13. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how many watts the stator can supply on this bike? It was easy to find for a wrr not so much for this bike. I don't know if that means she's big enough for whatever you want or if there's still a limit.
  14. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    So it seems like the oil pan bolts on the front left corner where shown in the pic I posted may not be torqued down all the way. 4 or 5 in the corner shown could be tightened with little effort with a small ratchet, the rest of the way around could not. Torquing them to spec tonight but after putting some miles on it the leaking is much much less than it was. I have no oil coming from any higher on the motor. If it doesn't completely resolve itself I guess it will have to go back to the dealer. There is a metal gasket. I guess we'll see what happens. I'll post back later when it finally get's resolved completely. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and I did have a tiny drip of coolant on the right side lower frame rail and the skid. Seemed to drip off of some small silver "nail" looking thing sticking out of the casing. Will look again tonight to see if we have any more. Couldn't really track that down.

Attached Files:

15. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    The DCT that I test rode had that problem. They had been waiting two weeks for the o-ring. They let me ride it but an amazing amount of oil had blown past that little seal during the short ride I had and all over everything. Glad it got fixed. I have to admit that the fact that they were having problems with it did influence my non-DCT decision a little bit.
  16. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the coolant leak; overflow from the catch tank?
  17. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I guess I need to look the bike over more. The coolant tank is way toward the back near the swing arm pivot. This drip was up front on the right near where the frame spars go flat. It appeared to be dripping off of a nail like thing hanging off the back edge of the bronze colored engine case more toward the front. I'll grab a picture later and update. It is on the side with the water pump and all that. No idea where the overflow would be but the bike is new so the thought had crossed my mind and the sight of it didn't concern me a whole lot since it was very minimal.
  18. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    400 Watts, if I'm not wrong
  19. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    490 watts at 5000rpm
    CLANTECH and pepebayeta like this.
  20. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like Honda has finally come up with the fuel pumps for the ATAS. My bike is being put together with a new fuel pump after 2 months in the shop. I’m excited to get my bike back!