2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll need most of those watts when I hit my hi beams.
    Ledrider LD5’s

Attached Files:

2. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I got my bike back and it seems to be running fine. Sure is nice to be riding again! Installed my Barkbusters and am ready to ride. Hope the rest of the Atas bikes are now fixed as well!
  3. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding across Australia on my ATAS. So far she's eating it up DSC_0057.JPG
  4. SparkyYP

SparkyYP Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I've got the swmotech pro panniers, the new style on my ATAS. I want to buy the new mosko moto backcountry panniers and I saw awhile ago how to attach the puck mounting system to the pannier rack with slight modification but can't find it anywhere. Would anyone be able to provide some insight? Thanks!
  5. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I think that was me ... https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-2019-africa-twin-adventure-sports.1265710/page-73#post-35922536

When you talk to the Mosko folks, just say "elongated pucks" and they'll know what you are talking about. My whole setup has been soundly thrashed about and has remained solid, no loosening and no slipping.

Good some assembly required to ya!
  6. SparkyYP

SparkyYP Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks! That's what I was thinking of. Glad I asked before ordering as the shipping time and customs to order to Canada would've drove me crazy if I didn't order them with the bags!
  7. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    In the pic of the mounting wedge, the washers were extras from miscellaneous coffee can collection and were not part of the Mosko kit. I just added them to make the mounting more robust.

Be judicious with your blue thread sealant ...
  8. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased the old style SW Motech EVO racks for the Standard AT and modified them to fit so I wouldn't have this issue, but there is another option to mount the MM Back Country 35's on the new racks.

You can drill the wide part of the rack and just bolt the back plate onto the rack directly without using the pucks, it's described on their website.

BTW the BC 35's are back ordered but good news the new ones are coming soon 9th Sept 2019 and are V2 with some enhancements over the originals, they are offering BC 25's as well.

Check the website for details and if you can wait they usually have discounts available on Black Friday, which is not too far away.

David.
  9. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to me like a spill by a careless tech. If I am looking at it correctly, it's right under the filler neck. Wipe it down good and take it for a ride. Congrats on the bike!:)
  10. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I wish that is all that it was. I wiped it clean 3 or 4 times during the first 4 days I had it as I proceeded to put over 1k miles on it in the first week. Only takes 50 miles or so before it is wet again. Scheduled a dealer visit for it tomorrow. We'll see what they come up with. Normally I would work on my own stuff but seeing as it was doing this at only 75 miles on the bike (since new) and I've got plenty of warranty left I kind of feel like the dealer should take a look. Hopefully it's a quick fix. I thought it may be coming from the oil pan gasket but now I'm not so sure. Maybe leaking around one of the large hex ports. Definitely not coming from up high. Hopefully it's a simple fix. I imagine it should net me another oil change as well. Thanks for posting up. I'll note the results of it all when it's finally resolved.
    windowto and chasdog like this.
  11. nowheelies

nowheelies loft the front wheel

Oddometer:
    yeppers, same deal. I torqued the oil pan bolts to 9nM and found one was stripped. dealer repair visit cost was merely an oil filter and bob's you're uncle. btw, my oil leak was visible underneath on the deck...
  12. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2nd issue with the fuel tank lining/coating clogging up the fuel pump filter happened to the ATAS yesterday. =[
  13. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda should fix the problem from factory production, change the part number and start a recall. Swaping the tank to another wich sares same production process is not fixing the problem, but postone it (at least in a high probability).
  14. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the original tank or a replacement?
  15. rob377

rob377 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has it been determined that this problem is limited to a certain batch or is likely on all ATASs?
  16. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Follow up on my oil leak. I'm told that the large forward vertical plug with the allen/hex head has a rubber seal behind it. It was not seated properly and was leaking. Seemed to me that was probably the likely culprit. I'm told that the seal was not damaged and they reused it. I would have preferred a new one I guess but it is the Honda dealer and it was paid for by warranty so... We'll keep an eye on it. Psyched to get my bike back for the weekend!

Attached Files:

17. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems definetively not all ATAS, but there’re many of them afected. Enough for starting a recall.
    The problem is in some cases the problem persist replacing the tank (the 2nd tank is afected too), or Honda only replaces pump and filter, so the tank is still emiting residues and, after a few miles, the problem is there again. And still, those residues are from the tank inner coating, so if the tank is not replaced with another “healthy” tank, it could be getting rusty.
    chasdog and rob377 like this.
  18. rob377

rob377 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was hoping it was limited to a specific VIN range/batch, and wouldn't need to worry about it too much. I acquired an '18 ATAS a few weeks ago and will make it a point to keep an eye on the filter.
    chasdog and Quercus petraea like this.
  19. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replacement fuel pump and fuel tank, both of which are the same part numbers as the parts that came on the bike from the factory. Issue was not fixed, only postponed to yet happen again.
    chasdog likes this.
  20. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well maybe it’s a good thing that my fuel tank wasn’t replaced. I was wondering if the new tanks were any better than the originals.