2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How have these updates worked for you (assuming you have been able to make these updates)?!
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    The filter sock install after giving the tank a good cleaning will mitigate much of this issue since your removing bulk of the contamination and increased the pre filter area several hundred fold with the sock over the filter

https://advrider.com/f/threads/atas-fuel-pump-filter-howtoo.1404188/
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Yes they have! I have another 2200 miles since the modification with no further issues. With the extra filter area of the guglatech filter combined with the tank sealant I really do not see this issue returning.

If you did not want to completely seal the tank I think that treating it with the phosphoric acid and using the guglatech filter would be adequate as that seemed to remove the majority of the crud.
    Motorwerx and chittyrox like this.
  4. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    I've got over 2500mi on my replacement tank & filter, purposely recreating the high temp, low fuel conditions of the previous fueling issues. So far so good. The weather's starting to cool off now so I'm unlikely to get any more opportunities to run it hard in 90+degree conditions this year.
  5. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last night I pulled my tank off without removing my Heed bars or the side panels. This is way easier than pulling the panels and tank to access the fuel pump.
    Just pull the 2 rubber grommets loose on each side panel after removing the plastic piece on the front of the gas tank. Then remove the tank.
    windowto, simmons1 and Kiwi Canuck like this.
  6. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your feedback, I will consider this as I do the future updates! =]
    I don't think I will be accepting another new fuel tank, as that is the root cause.

Honda replaced with a new fuel tank and fuel pump, same part numbers as what came on the bike. 3900 miles later, my issue came right back so it was only a band-aid with the same bad "new" fuel tank. I ride in 85+ degF heat in the midwest and south. Now I have to miss the Cookeville, TN and Buffalo rides =[

I hope it works better for you!
    chasdog likes this.
  7. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @chittyrox Why not just pull the tank, clean the strainer, rinse the tank with some vinegar, and put it back together? It shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours and you can go riding. I know it is still under warranty but it beats not riding.
    Amphib and chasdog like this.
  8. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other day I was able to recreate the problem on my repaired Atas. My fuel gauge said I had enough fuel for another 40 miles at the start of a ride. At about the 30 mile left up a mountain road the bike cutout. At first I put it down to a late shift and hitting the rev limiter. Then it happened again. It got worse on the way back down the mountain. I had a showing of 15 miles left when I pulled in to the gas station for a fill up. It was still running but any amount of excess throttle would cause cutout. The tank took 6.412 gallons to fill.
    The bike has about 800 miles on it since the fuel pump , tank cleanse. After filling the bike ran fine.
    At this point I am hoping this occurred as a result of having hardly any fuel left.
    Opinions?
  9. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    I could do that and if this would have happened outside of warranty I would do that. I bought a brand "new" bike from a reputable company and although every bike has it's issues, this is not acceptable. Issues like this are reasons why companies so big get away with things, as we (the handy consumer) do the work for them which helps to hide their issues so they do not "need" to actually fix the root cause. They also cost me alot of $$$$ in hotels and to fly back when it left me stranded. The second time almost got me ran over by a semi on the interstate, and Honda needs to be held liable. It should not take somebody getting hurt for them to fix their known issue.

Again, I do agree I could have this back up and running after a couple hours + the guglatech pump filter. But there are other things tied to this claim as to why I cannot do it myself (at this time). Sorry for the long post =]
    windowto and chasdog like this.
  10. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Another top rack question. I purchased the AltRider rear rack with the hopes of mounting my Givi Trekker 42L top box on it. Turns out that even though the rack is pre drilled for Givi Monkey mounting and I have the Altrider Givi hardware kit that there is interference with the grab rail where the two posts mount. To make matters worse I apparently overlooked Altrider's and Revzillas fine print. Revzilla says it doesn't work, Altrider says there is "interference" so call for help. So assuming that I need to pick a different rack is the SW Motech rack the only real good option? I don't want the Givi rack with the complicated support system and really wanted a large plate rack that I could also use for soft luggage. Does anyone know if the B&B rack works well for this application? I'm not interested in the extension plates since I'll probably end up with an SW Motech pillion seat that it won't clear so just need a good solid tail rack that accepts Givi Monokey top boxes.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with AltRider. They are making a set of 3D printed spacers that lift the rack off the grab rails to create space for the Givi mounting kit. (The nuts on the bottom of the two forward Givi mounting pins hit the grab rail on the ATAS bikes). They are supplying the spacers as well as longer bolts to replace the 4 that come with the rack. I was charged $7.50 for the parts and another $7.50 for 2 day FedEx shipping. Apparently very soon these parts will be included in the Givi hardware kit that Altrider distributes and will be specific to the bike. I will post pics of the whole setup when I get it. I was told that they have only been doing this for about two months but that the parts seem to work and hold up just fine. Now that I know what they are doing I'm sure I could have fab'd something up myself but for $15 I don't need to leave my house. We'll see how this goes. A little irritating to buy a rack for a specific bike that is pre drilled for Givi hardware that won't actually work.
  11. rob377

rob377 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the nearly the same thing happen last week. At 15 miles left, it started sputtering whenever I opened the throttle. I shut it down to pull of the road and check the bike over, and then when I restarted, the range went to "---" Fortunatley I was only a few hundred yards from a gas station and limped in to the pumps. Oddly, it only took 6.1 gallons to fill, which seemed weird. I bought a cheap wifi endoscope to check the inside of the tank once it gets close to empty again. *fingers crossed* Bike only has ~900 on the clock, but almost all of that was in in pretty warm weather.
    chasdog likes this.
  12. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So do you think that is not a protective product to prevent welds get rusty? No need to aply any sealing product after cleaning the tank?
  13. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @rob377. Good to know your bike did the same thing with low fuel.
  14. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I began installing my barkbusters tonight. I am having trouble getting the right side clamp away from the wire coming from the bottom of the front brake switch. I moved the reservoir right and left, but the clamp is still really close. You can see the wire in the photos below.

Attached Files:

15. chasdog

chasdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here’s a pic. of my barkbuster install. Pic makes it look tighter than it is for the wires, there’s some wiggle room.

Attached Files:

Getnout likes this.
  16. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chasdog. That’s where I have mine, and it all fits. Just a lot closer to things than I would like. Now I am dealing with the throttle not wanting to return properly, even though there is a gap between the rubber and the bar end weight. I quit for tonight and will tackle it tomorrow after work.
    Getnout likes this.
  17. mpharris

mpharris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The kit include a spacer (washer) that goes between the bar end weight and the throttle. I had to double mine up to prevent the throttle from sticking.
    chittyrox, AZMtnRider and Getnout like this.
  18. relichunter

relichunter Precariot

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a new 2018 ATAS in Phoenix and rode it straight home, only 650 miles. The next day I rode it to work and discovered oil burning off the engine on the right side. Dealer had it for two weeks waiting on a bolt from honda. They determined that a bolt had been over tightened causing a crush washer to fail. The bike is too new for me to have any idea what that really means. I'm hoping this isn't the harbinger of more problems.
    rob377 likes this.
  19. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine came with three washers. With just one washer, there was already a space. I ended having to cut the end of the rubber grip off. Apparently the BB insert stretched the end of the bar slightly and the rubber was now too tight. No pun intended
  20. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    Before I put the Kaoko lock throttle on, I also had to add another spacer. I emailed Barkbuster and sent pictures along with videos, and they understood that there is some variation from the plant with how far the throttle is installed on the handlebars.