2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With summer gloves on for normal riding on a chilly morning, evening, or during a rainstorm I don't think I've ever had the OEM heated grips higher than 3, even that is usually too hot for me. Have also ridden the bike in the 30s a couple times with my winter Klim Element gloves and I think I went up to 4, but 5 was too hot. So if anything the OEM heated grips work too well for my preference, but it's obviously very subjective and is dependent on gloves worn and rider too.
    troops and redneckmech like this.
  2. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that is just weird. Summer and chilly I use mechanix gloves. Colder I use Klim Element gloves as well, but my left hand freezes and always has with those OEM heated grips. They do work when I put a thermocouple on both of them, buy my left grip does not feel hot on the outside and does not have a layer in between it (similar to the oxfords on my other bikes) to help prevent heat loss to the handlebars. Knowing my luck I got the OEM grips made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon!

When it turns chilly, I also use the Barkbuster blizzard covers. Right hand feels great, left hand is cold...
    Oxfords on my other bikes with similar setups, both hands are good to go. =/
    Motorwerx likes this.
  3. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    For me the heated grips were too fat and because of that I was getting pain in my hands on long rides so I actually pulled them off and went after market with some heated grip elements and they are much thinner than stock but the factory grips put out a huge amount of heat and they do have an isolator both sides to keep the heat from being transferred to the bars on the left-hand side that is what made them to fat for me
  4. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just blew out a fork seal. I have ridden 13700 miles and the bike is less than a year old so it's covered by the warranty. Any suggestions for how to avoid that from happening again? I only ride pavement to get to dirt so the suspension gets used quite a bit!
  5. myat35

myat35 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1951033 View attachment 1951033 Getting excited to pick up a new 2018 AT AS early next week. Dealer had a solid discount trying to make room for the '20s coming in. Can't wait to pick her up. What center stand are folks going with? I searched on revzilla and they don't have the SW Motech ones in stock any longer. Open to tips/tricks on the bike. I'm getting the manual version. Cheers - Rob

Attached Files:

SW-MOTECH NA and Flying Frisian like this.
  6. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the factory center stand for the AS. Congrats with the new bike, you'll love it. I got a great deal on a 2018 as well. Left over 2017 AT's sell for less than $10k, which is great but I wanted the longer suspension and the ride modes etc.
  7. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    Not sure which year or model AT / ATAS you have, but I install SKF seals in my 2018 ATAS. 9700 miles with no issues at all. Make sure to check that fluid level is correct and no scratches on the fork tubes.
  8. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey @myat35 -- Congrats on your soon-to-be new ride! And, thanks for having a look at our center stand. Twisted Throttle has them in stock right now--
    Honda Africa Twin AS '18-'19 Center Stand

You should be able to order anytime and have there and ready when you pick up your new bike.

Congrats and good luck!
    The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
    myat35 and chittyrox like this.
  9. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After some thoughts on the bike as a two up travel bike, so interested in how the bike handles two up and loaded with gear.
  10. DSM8

Oddometer:
    The bike is very underspeung from the factory so expect to invest in suspension work
    I went from 56 to 68 rate springs on n the front on mine but it will never see dirt I set it up to ride like a supermoto dont recall what rate rear was put in
  11. micahbf

micahbf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A day after I crossed into Mexico with my ‘18 ATAS, and at 8,500 miles on the clock I suspect I have encountered the tank overspray issue. Riding yesterday, started getting power surges that would keep me below about 80 km/h. Turning the key off and on would briefly fix the issue, then it would come back.
    This is a huge pain in the ass, since I am now travelling in Mexico. I’m thinking my best option may be to ride back up to Tucson and have the dealer there (Musselman Honda) have a look.

For others who had this issue, what was the full fix? Just a new fuel pump assembly, or anything else?
  12. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    All that was needed is the fuel filter although Honda replaced the whole pump with a new pump assembly. It is a pretty quick easy fix to replace the filter and with a couple of Allen wrenches it could be done on the side of the road if absolutely necessary.
    micahbf likes this.
  13. micahbf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that doesn’t sound so bad. Hoping I can get this taken care of a Honda dealer in Hermosillo instead of hoofing it back North.
  14. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    If you go back to this post it may give you an idea of what it all looks like. I had it happen a second time so installed a guglatech prefilter and coated the tank.

https://advrider.com/f/index.php?posts/38175149
  15. DSM8

Oddometer:
    here is the link to a write up worse case you can take apart and clean it out best you can but this shows you whats involved

https://advrider.com/f/threads/atas-fuel-pump-filter-howtoo.1404188/#post-38343673
  16. micahbf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that is helpful, if only to encourage me to get the dealer to do it under warranty.
  17. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode my 2018 ATAS to the Yukon which was a 6,500 KM round trip two up and loaded with camping gear, total weight around 470 KG's (1034 lbs) including my 14 year old son who was about 150lbs with gear.

The bike handled fine, and was still pretty good in the twisties, took some time to figure out the mounting and dismounting program without risking dropping the bike, I bought the Camel ADV side stand and used that get on the bike and then my son would climb on after I got it leveled up. When the bike was on the SW Motech center stand it was too tall and heavy too push it off when seated, so I needed to use the side stand method.

I was on the stock tires and the rear tire is rated for 739lbs, and I calculated I had about 724lbs of the load on the rear, so almost at the recommended maximum, I did experience severe tire wear on the rear until I figured I was under inflated by about 5 PSI. (faulty tire gauge)

I was on stock suspension and never bottomed out or had any issues with it, If I was doing the same again I would get the shocks redone with stiffer springs as I'm sure I was at the limit for the stock units.

Having said that, the bike is a completely different beast when ridden solo and no luggage, it's actually fun to ride, but loaded up it's rideable but it wasn't "fun" especially in parking lots, gas stations and those darn metal grate bridges up north.

David.
    tekes and Amphib like this.
  18. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a 1300 mile trip I seem to be having a fuel issue. I'm aware of some of the posts about the filter clogging. I opened my tank after it started happening and I could hear air hissing (I'm assuming into the tank). It's possible it was just a little pressure n there's some sort of valve that will open at a point. I probably will take it to a dealer, I just don't want it sitting there waiting for a part.

Can anyone run their bike a while, open their tank, and listen for air?

Has anyone with the filter issue been able to talk a honda dealer into installing the guglatech filter? I wouldn't mind buying it if they didn't charge labor.

Can anyone suggest the best dealer in Miami area?
  19. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    Most Honda dealers will gladly install them, but Honda will not warranty the guglatech fuel pump filter setup. If it is under warranty, Honda will tell you to take it to a dealer. If you do this, tell the dealer to call their Honda technical rep and go through them. Most dealers will not be able to replicate the issue, but be firm with them to tell them to call their Honda rep. You could call Honda customer support and start a ticket with them first before you take it to a dealer. The Honda customer support reps and tech reps all know about the issue.

If you are out of warranty, the gluglatech fuel pump filter is the way to go, along with cleaning out the fuel tank. There are good posts on here for what folks have used, and mines will be getting that special treatment this winter =]
  20. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will call them. I like the dealer I got it from... Me: "You have the standard atas?" Dealer: " yes" Me: "I want it, how do I leave your shop tomorrow with it." Dealer: "We can do that." On the way there I was wondering if I was paying msrp. I asked him while I'm signing papers, and he gave me a significant deal without ever having cared. He could have taken advantage but did me right from what I can tell.
    chittyrox and playinatwork like this.