2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody who had the fuel starving issue covered under warranty.
    What was honda official explanation and measures taken to solve it?
  2. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think from what I've seen most have waited about a month for parts, then honda put in a new pump/filter assembly. I don't think they do anything to stop more crap from plugging the filter again though
  3. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda uses the same shitty quality / warranty strategy as BMW imho
  4. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Since reading about this in the first place and then actually doing a deep dive into the issue myself on my machine here are my thoughts on the matter.
    • It sucks the problem exists in the first place
    • YES it can be fixed under warranty but the fix doesn't resolve the problem just replaces the affected parts that are impacted by the problem
    • There is a fix most anyone can do it just takes some time and patience and that will both solve the problem, eliminate the root cause and prevent further issues in the future
    I went with option 3 since I did not want to let the bike sit with a dealer for a month.
    Cleaning all the weld seams as had been discussed and installing the aftermarket sock filter over the pump will once and for all eliminate this issue.
    Cost is about 100 bucks.
    Money we should not have to spend but instead of just bitching about the issue and taking it to the dealer at least there is a viable and easy enough solution that anyone can do.

But thats just my .02
  5. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    So, nobody got a document/invoice stating "this is what happened, this is how we solved it"?
    Because of the way it happens to me, I'm not a 100% sure it's the filter's fault.
  6. NL-Patrick

NL-Patrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a new tank and respray of rusty frame parts under warranty so although it should not have rusted after 1 year I am happy about how they solved it.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  7. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fuel filter is not the root cause, the tank welding byproduct is the root cause for the fuel filter plugging.
  8. pepebayeta

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that's the root cause either.
  9. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Actually it is in this case, the byproduct of the seam welding technique that is used. What your seeing is the flux residue manifesting itself in the tank as the white crud.
    When I took my tank off the bike it has about 3K miles on it, and with the camera etc. all of the material was along the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) of the welds inside of the tank. I found no other occurrence of the material anywhere else cept for those seams.

The other possibility is if the inside of the tank is coated with something then there is a film on the weld seams that made it not stick and thats what is coming off but again only along the areas where the welding tool place.

Due to this I bet it is a flux byproduct from the welding process, otherwise I aint got no moar clues.
  10. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    My best guess is that the heat from the weld is affecting a coating on the material. From the appearances of it I would guess either there is a light zinc coating on the steel that is burning off when welded or it is a sealant that was placed on the seams. I worked as a welder fabricator for 12 years and never saw Flux applied in that way on a seam weld. But again, who knows what processes Honda is trying.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  11. DSM8

Oddometer:
  12. dwelds

dwelds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big terms being dropped here. Apparently we are all experts... :amazon
  13. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Typically that is used for surface buildup with a hardened coating. Mostly used on plowshares, rippers, corner bits on dozers etc. Not really a usable process on sheet metal as you would just burn through.
    I have a similar system that we used to use on our logging and farming equipment.

Not saying that Honda isn't doing something like similar but it doesn't jive with my experiences with the characteristics of that particular process.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    What’s amazing is that after nearly 70 years of building bikes Honda manages to get this wrong.
  15. PtoV

PtoV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    troops likes this.
  16. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the ATAS, have put about 4,200 miles on it since I purchased it in July. Took the bike to Mt. Hood yesterday for some off road riding and when I parked it in the garage I noticed that both fork legs were pissing oil. I did some serious off road riding on rough and rocky roads, but I don't think the fork ever bottomed out. Crazy that both seals are blown at the same time. I guess I'll order some replacements and rebuild the fork. It's a little disappointing that they failed so soon, but this gives me a good opportunity to service and perhaps upgrade the fork.
    20191102_142022.jpg 20191102_142035.jpg
  17. Whoopazz1

Whoopazz1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure your seals are toast, could be that there may have been too much fork oil from factory. I thought o have read that before. Maybe someone else can chime in.
  18. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shitty fork quality
  19. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the dirty today and converted the AT to ATAS tank. Relatively painless exercise with only minor mods required.

AT parts replaced with ATAS parts:
    1. tank
    2. plastic shroud on tank
    3. plastic shroud around headlight
    4. side panels
    Still needed to finish:
    1. screen
    2. black plastic bits that screw into the side panels and clip into the tank (Honda badge section)
    3. crash bars
    4. mudguard
    I replaced the damaged mudguard with an old XR one I had in the shed temporarily till I can get the rest of the bits form the dealer. Get spare parts from Honda has been like pulling teeth from a bear.

FWIW, I checked the inside of the tank and can't see any overspray or other issues that may cause clogging such as has been reported. Seems ok.

IMG_20191103_0819153_small.jpg
    IMG_20191103_1032197_small.jpg
    IMG_20191103_1102118.jpg
    IMG_20191103_1329230_small.jpg
    Junglejeff1 and windowto like this.
  20. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they were just weeping I'd try to clean them, but they're gushing so I will pull the forks apart. I've been riding off road a lot lately and they didn't leak until yesterday. If the forks were over filled, they should have spit the excess out prior to yesterday. Let's see what I find when I open them up.
    Is there a preference for SKF or other brand?
    Whoopazz1 likes this.