2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Make sure you gather the material up at the bottom of the filter to ensure you get complete coverage of the prefilter.
    Here you can see it with the small gap at the bottom thats what you DONT want.

[​IMG]
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  2. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the kit immediately. Everything is pretty straightforward. The old teabag filter did not have a circlip to keep it in place but the kit came with one so I installed it. It's probably redundant since the teabag can't go anywhere once it's installed.
    20200417_102534.jpg

Somewhere in this thread I read that some inmates cut additional holes in the bottom of the plastic cover that goes over the teabag filter. Looking at the assembly this doesn't make sense to me. As you can see in the picture below, there is a small hole in the bottom of this cover. This is not the main entry point for the fuel!
    20200417_102957.jpg

The majority of the fuel comes in via the top of this cover which has large openings all around! These openings are below the reserve switch so there is no reason to create additional holes in the bottom. If you run the level in the tank below the top of this cover then and only then will you need to pull in fuel via this small hole. I recommend never running the level that low because you'll pull whatever crap is in the bottom of the tank into the filter. It's probably better to close the small hole completely so the crap that accumulates at the bottom doesn't enter the pre-filter.
    20200417_103007.jpg
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am the guy that did that. Probably not necessary but I wanted to ensure that I would have plenty of fuel flow even when the tank was low.
    I also figured that the more surface area of the filter that was utilized the longer it would take to plug.
    20190810_212548.jpg 20190810_212621.jpg
  4. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    The installation of the sock was easy but it took a little bit of fiddling to get it past all the edges and wires. As @DSM8 suggested, I slid the sock down to make sure nothing can get into the teabag filter via the bottom of the sock. I used the nylon zip-tie to secure the sock in place.
    Others have cleaned the tank with acid or vinegar. I did not do any of that. Whatever is still on the welds can work itself loose overtime and I'll open the tank next winter to see how bad (or good) things are. At that time I will clean everything and decide if anything else is needed. I also want to see how the zip-tie is holding up. From now on I'll try to keep the lowest fuel level above or at the reserve level.
    20200417_103852.jpg 20200417_110356.jpg
    redneckmech likes this.
  5. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    Put everything back together and rerouted the center (rear) filter drain hose for easier access. Moved it from the location where I point my finger to the location where it is in the picture. There's plenty of space and now it's accessible for easy draining.
    20200415_113716.jpg

20200415_113725.jpg
    playinatwork and windowto like this.
  6. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your comment. In fact, this is the second time zinc oxide has rusted in the tank. The first occurred last September. At that time, the dealer cleaned the tank and replaced the fuel pump. However, I had gas deficiency again, so I replaced the fuel pump again and coated the tank. The degreasing cleaning did not have any problems with the base treatment.
    The coating agent is POR-15

f984dd73c244f4844f2e6f6bededc6.jpg

The cause of the white powder is zinc oxide, which cannot be prevented without re-plating. Opinion that the plating process in the tank manufacturing process was not good. It will recur no matter how many times you wash it.

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/307381/car/2544184/5742952/note.aspx
  7. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Motorcycle-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit
    TETSUHIRO and Flying Frisian like this.
  8. kveldulv

kveldulv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm something about the windscreen for me?

According to the parts diagrams (and the service manual), the “well nuts” for the top 4 screen bolts screws are supposed to have a plastic washer, like in the following pictures:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 23.43.20.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 23.43.07.png

(I believe it’s not on the bottom 2 bolts)

Mine doesn’t have the washers and the well nuts are completely destroyed. I’m wondering if that’s because the washers are missing?
  9. satx_tengu

satx_tengu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just found the same crap in my 2020 ATAS gas tank. Will be installing the Guglatech sock once everything is cleaned out. In the meantime what is the ideal way to clean/flush out the gas tank? Thanks
    Pcfly and Flying Frisian like this.
  10. Flying Frisian

Oddometer:
    I rode the bike until the tank was almost empty. After that I used an oil extractor (tank with manual hand-pump used for oil changes via dipstick) to suck the rest of the tank completely dry. Works great. My tank was perfectly clean, all the loose flakes were in the pre-filter and pre-filter housing. I decided to just install the Guglatech kit and see how things look next winter.
    Pcfly, satx_tengu and playinatwork like this.
  11. satx_tengu

satx_tengu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sure hope mine turns out that way. I was working late into last night and I won't get a chance till late this evening to drain and look at the gas tank.
  12. high.side

high.side highside

Oddometer:

as GMM mentioned, I use apple cider vinegar (more acidic) and the tank is quite clean. free of problems so far.
  13. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I'm unhappy to see tank talk I'm glad I don't have to start it. I dropped my bike off at the dealer the other day for fuel starvation issues.

I think warranty should cover it. The guy at the counter there said something about them normally not being covered.

Can anyone here give me a Honda warranty reps info that knows about the problem. I kinda want to talk to one n touch base with the dealer again. I'd do it myself and do more to correct the problem rather than pay them for a bandaid.

Can anyone remember how they tested it? Seems to me like they could let the pump run with the line unhooked. Hook up a pressure gauge and see if it's got enough. Without flow this could give a false good reading though? It'd just take longer to build up. I don't know. It would only do it after being ran decently for about 30 min. I don't know if it would work or not. Maybe unhook the line let it(gas) run and then run it(engine)?
  14. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about having to fix it on my own. I see it's a common theme here. I had a new filter n crap, was ready to do it. Part of the reason I didn't was that the more they here about the issue the more likely they will fix the issue. Maybe I'm wrong but it made sense to me.
    McLaughc likes this.
  15. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honda is aware of the issue but your shop might not be. My fuel pump and injectors were replaced twice under warranty. Let them know you feel UNSAFE riding the bike and it feels like it's running out of fuel. Mine would sneeze through the intake during cold start up. That went away once they cleaned the tank and replaced the pump and injectors. Then get a Guglatech filter on it.
  16. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the stuff is getting through the filter? I had heard of them replacing a pump as a precaution. I was gonna wait until the issue came back to do anything myself. I got it last july so only a couple months on warranty, and I probably won't extend it. Did you or was it twice in a year? I'm thinking I should clean it, coat it, and add a sock right away. I don't care about the filter too much, but I don't want to buy a pump n injectors.

I was in heavy traffic when it started. I can say in that situation it was hazardous.
  17. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:

I pulled my fuel pump 600 miles after the first cleaning to install a Guglatech filter and stuff was still floating in the tank. The shop had 5 hours of scrubbing and flushing the tank the second time plus new pump and injectors.

I wouldn't coat the tank just yet. If you do and Honda starts a campaign to resolve the issue they probably won't help you out. I would let the dealer take care of it then install the Guglatech filter and document everything.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Marveling...

Oddometer:
    QUESTION: I did an oil change on my ATAS and noticed on the new magnetic drain plug, a small amount of light grey colored "sludge" stuck to it. Is the stuff floating in the tanks, metallic? I have 6,600 miles on the bike and haven't had any fueling issues, so far.
  19. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had the issue twice now. First about had me stuck in the middle of the desert and second time on the interstate (I am fortunate to not have been ran over by a vehicle when I lost all throttle). Fuel tank is the root cause of failure, and what I can recommend is to not have them replace the fuel tank with a new fuel tank. If the new fuel tank is the same part number, it will come back and happen again.

If you're dealer cannot replicate the issue, have them directly call their honda rep and yes honda (engineering and warranty) knows about the issue. Also call honda directly yourself to start the claim, and tell them everything. Don't let the Honda dealer give you any runaround bs. Honda will give you a case number to reflect to your honda dealer.
  20. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better topic for anyone interested. I sold a toy have some could be parts money. Want a full exhaust so probably an akrapovic. I think I want the cheap one. Can anyone give me a reason to get the approved one? Inspection wise I've never had them look to closely. Anyone ride places they check?

Looking for some om crash bars. The heeds and bnb combo looks good but idk if it fits the atas. Also wondering if they are as strong as I've heard the om ones are.

PCV. Anyone running one? What options if any? I can see the benefit of the map switch but I kinda want the rest set on a dyno. It doesn't appear to do anything ignition related on this bike?