2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. satx_tengu

satx_tengu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the tank completely cleaned out and put back together with the Guglatech sock filter. Bike starts and runs perfectly. First thing I noticed was that the fuel pump was relatively quieter. Will take it out for a ride this weekend and see how it performs.
    Pcfly, Slamber, EmmEff and 2 others like this.
  2. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I helped a buddy install the Mccruise on a 2018 ATAS

helped a buddy install the Mccruise on a 2018 ATAS

Pcfly, Charleetho and chittyrox like this.
  3. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Africa Twin Fuel Pump Strainer is the same as a Suzuki part. You can substitute SUZUKI parts.

Suzuki Strainer fuel pump filter V-Strom Gsxr 1000 /GSXR 600/ GSXR 750 Cagiva
    559c112342404cbb5c201d49085803.jpg
    Strainer fuel pump filter

2014-2016 DL1000A V-Strom
    2007-2011 DL650 V-Strom
    2007-2016 DL650A V-Strom
    2015 DL650XA
    2007-2009 GSF1250S
    2007-2016 GSF1250SA
    2013-2016 GSX1300RA Hayabusa
    2008-2011 GSX650F
    2009-2015 GSX650FA
    2007-2014 GSXR1000/Z
    2008-2015 GSXR600
    2008-2015 GSXR750/Z
    2015-2016 GSXR750/A
    2013-2014 GW250
    2009-2015 SFV650/A
    2013-2015 VL1500/B/T/BT S90 / Boss and also work on Suzuk i AN400 K7 model.

If you buy OEM parts from China, it costs only $ 8 for a set of five. It costs about $ 2 each.

001.png
    Blaise W, Pcfly, chittyrox and 3 others like this.
  4. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm ... I can't seem to import it to Japan :(
  6. kveldulv

kveldulv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question for those that have removed the airbox... how the hell did you reattach the breather hoses when putting it back together!?

It's physically impossible with my big hands. I'm hoping someone has come up with an ingenious solution!
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that left breather hose was really tough for me to get back on. I did the right one first and it was easy, but without being able to life the airbox up much, getting my pretty thin hands in under it to reattach the hose and then slide the clip into position was pretty tough.
  8. kveldulv

kveldulv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spent most of my time battling that left one. Having thought about it today, I'm going to try get something like this:
    pliers.jpg
    Hopefully that will help!
    [Edit: In case anyone cares... yes, they did help!]
    CRracer712 and TETSUHIRO like this.
  9. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    Ha ha .......just did it this morning. Long pointy nose pliers .

Valve clearances for the first time last week.........2 day job.
    Started sons bike yesterday arvo.......finished this morning. Second time around makes things easier along with removing throttle bodies instead of coils......
    Schlug likes this.
  10. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    EE8169F1-D38A-497A-9AE3-5A3D148B6564.jpeg First world problem.......triplets.
    N0madic, Motorwerx, Amphib and 3 others like this.
  11. North6633

North6633 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I've joined the African twin adventure sport world. Picked up a 2019 DCT bike last week.

Have some questions;
    1) what penniers are people using in general? Did a few searches and see that the Swmoto seem to be to be popular. I can get a deal on the OEM panniers from the dealer that I bought the bike from as they're giving me a 10% discount on my first purchase of any accessories from them. But not sure on the OEM panneirs. One thing is I want to keep the bike as narrow as possible. I have the Swmoto panneirs on my stelvio and that thing is just crazy wide something I want to avoid with this bike. I've read that the OEM ones aren't as robust if you drop the bike. My fiance has the OEM ones on her NC700X which she has dropped several times and they seem to be holding up just fine.
    2) I think I'm going to switch the handguards over to barkbusters. Anyone using these? How how much were they a pain to install on the DCT bike?
    3) Anyone using an auto chain oiler like a Scott oiler? It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike that has a chain. Had a Scott oiler on my KLR and it worked great. But made a mess of the back wheel.
    4) I'm 6'4 with a 36-in in seam. when I'm standing it feels like the bars could be maybe a half inch higher and be perfect anyone using bar risers? How much slack are in the cables? I think there'd be plenty for what I need.
    5) Been looking at some different foot pegs too. The swmoto evos look interesting wouldn't mind dropping them a half an inch or so That would get my knees out of the bulge of the tank. Anyone have any thoughts or what they've been using different pegs?
    6) I'm definitely going to buy the tank fork shield. Read a couple different comments on the madstad windshields It sounds like some people were having problems wwith the install but they were older posts. Anyone using or have any comments on the madstad?
    Ay thoughts on a different windscreen I'm actually really surprised at the lack of buffeting at speed it's still there but not as bad as people described it. But I definitely need to do something about it.

Looking forward to getting the bike dialed in and getting out riding. I really like the character of the engine and the DCT is just fantastic as I get more adjusted to it.

Thanks
    Pcfly, EmmEff and Flying Frisian like this.
  12. Owen Snell

Owen Snell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For reference the answers below refer to my 2018 DCT ATAS

Mine are Bumot soft panniers. They need frames mounting as well, which means a bit of dismantling at the rear to get the frames in place. Easy to fit / remove and robust. Not as light as you might expect because the mounting plate on the bags is substantial. The bags sit inside the outer width of the handlebars (which is the edges of the OEM hand guards), but could probably be stuffed bigger if really rammed with gear.

Not done this.

Not done this. I use gear oil, brush on and wipe off excess.

Same height / inseam as me. Not done the bars, but this is a road bike for me. I find the bar position really good.

My knees were also on the edge of the bulge on the tank. These pegs I fitted are 30 mm lower, the position is just right. https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-2019-africa-twin-adventure-sports.1265710/page-85#post-36679587

The fork tunnel protection reduces buffeting a lot, makes things OK at reasonable speeds but it still wasn't great above 75 mph. The Madstad screen has fixed that. It's a really good bit of kit, BUT the brackets were not at the correct angle for the screen mounts and Madstad didn't seem to understand / care much. I decided to modify them myself rather than ask for replacements, that would probably be wrong as well. https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-2019-africa-twin-adventure-sports.1265710/page-110#post-37712925
  13. AZT2

AZT2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    @North6633
    I have Bumot 45/41L hard panniers on mine. So far really happy with this setup. I did a lot of research before i pulled the trigger and i found the Bumots are the narrowest you will find for each given size. I went with the 45/41 because i wanted the room, they are like 4 or 5" narrower than the Givi with more room. I also shopped the Touratech Zega Evo's but they are a lot more money and still wider. The mounting system is super easy to use too and seems really sturdy. I also really like the little toolbox that they offer as well. It is really out of the way on the bike and super useful.

Here are the widths installed for each size combo.
    • 35L / 31L - 36.2"
    • 40L / 36L - 38.6"
    • 45L / 41L - 40.9"

You can find more info on them here. This is the US distributor for Bumot and the owner is a super nice guy.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/shop-by...r-system-crf1000-africa-twin-adventure-sports

Here is my bike with them installed. I also got the 43l top box.
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot from behind
    [​IMG]

I also installed the Swegotech fork shield on mine and the buffeting i had is gone. I'm a lot shorter than you at 5'8 and regardless of which helmet i was wearing i could feel the air from the tunnel. Totally fixed the issue for me.
    rotaryracer and N0madic like this.
  15. Owen Snell

Owen Snell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the fork tunnel shield fitted, I found that if I ducked down a bit, all was good with the standard screen.
  16. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    For me i am 100% good with the stock ATAS screen and the fork shield installed, no need to duck in at all.
  17. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with the SW Motech rack and panniers and I just added some Nelson Rigg soft bags for the rough stuff. SW Motech just announced that they will open their US headquarters in Portland in June. The stock hand guards don't offer any protection besides deflecting rain and wind. I installed Barkbusters after I dropped the bike on ice while standing still this winter. This small drop damaged the hand guard and the clutch lever. The Barkbusters come with some additional parts for the DCT bikes, which mine is not.
    For the screen I mounted an additional MRA-X-creen, which I pulled of my old bike. This works great.
    20200128_145005.jpg

Here you see the soft bags mounted on the SW Motech rack. The panniers are sitting next to it on the floor.
    20200508_162452.jpg
    chittyrox and Slamber like this.
  18. Slamber

Slamber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    l just bought a pair of these Riggs - the yellow ones. How, exactly did you attach them to your rack? - over the seat? More pics?
  19. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snap on. Pricey but last forever.
  20. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do
    Has anyone added some extra holes in the small cap that covers the sock? It seems that the two small existing holes in would limit the value of the large guglatech sock?