2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    The pump can only draw so much and i assume the engineering was such to accommodate that flow I saw no reasoning to enlarge them when I did mine
  2. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure @redneckmech did this?
    redneckmech likes this.
  3. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, posts number 2489 and 2513 of this thread. As has been mentioned before, they are not necessary as they will only come into play when the fuel level is below the top of the pump. The primary area where the fuel pump is drawing fuel from is around the upper portion of the housing. I wanted to make sure that no matter how low the tank got, the added filter was not going to significantly affect fuel flow. I don't plan on running the tank that low but when or if I do I want to make sure that I have that fuel accessible.
    LTTLTD likes this.
  4. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ran the Nelson Rigg Sierra bags for 11,000 miles now. They have taken a beating on and off the pavement, and held up pretty good. Sad to say that after some brutal times off-road I have found their weak point. I will be switching over to my Mosko Moto bags soon. Not talking down the Nelson Rigg bags at all though, they lasted great throughout the harshness I have put them through!!
    Flying Frisian likes this.
  5. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    For mines, the top straps go tight over the seat to connect to each bag. The side straps provided will be what hold the bags to your pannier racks. Pretty good and easy setup!

upload_2020-5-18_9-9-0.png
  6. Schroeder

Schroeder Schroeder

Oddometer:
    If I were to purchase a new 2019 ATAS from the dealer...what are my chances of having to deal with the fuel tank contamination and fuel pump/filter issues? There are some great deals out there on these bikes and the ATAS seems to fit my needs pretty well.
  7. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say say it would be an issue. I am on my second tank with the same problem. Guglatech on order. Picture is of the second tank.

Attached Files:

Schroeder likes this.
  8. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    As said above, 100% certain that there will be an issue but that shouldn't stop you from getting one. I love my ATAS and the tank problem is easily solved. Just don't wait until you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with this problem.
    chittyrox and LTTLTD like this.
  10. Schroeder

Schroeder Schroeder

Oddometer:
    Is Honda taking any responsibility for this and covering it under warranty?
    EmmEff likes this.
  11. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second ATAS and both of them had the tank problem. Not a difficult fix really, or you can mess around with Honda and argue about it while I'm out riding.
    Schroeder and LTTLTD like this.
  12. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but you might have to make the dealer aware of the issue.
  13. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda is taking responsibility and once they fix it under warranty, they told me the fix follows the VIN and they will own it for life, regardless of warranty status.

I wouldn't let it turn you away from buying one.
  14. chittyrox

Oddometer:
    Did you get that in writing? or was just "told" over the phone? First time I have ever heard of that...
    I was told nothing of that sort, and had to fight for a "Free" extended Honda warranty among other things.

I would not let it stop me from buying the ATAS. If I could rewind time, and I had known beforehand this was an issue I would have corrected this myself before the bike had 5 miles on it!
  15. Flying Frisian

Flying Frisian Born to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't contacted Honda or my dealer. Others have had fuel pump units or entire tanks replaced under warranty and ended up with the exact same problem afterwards. I was not interested in that and decided to install the Guglatech filter and sock. Another reason that I didn't want the dealer to work on my bike is that I've had some real bad experiences with that in the past. I prefer to do everything myself so i know its done right and it's a good way to get to know your bike.
  16. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Replacing the tank is definitely not the fix. New tank is no different from the one it would replace and the issue will repeat.
    TETSUHIRO likes this.
  17. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every one who ones a atas should let dealer and Honda know to support the claims/warranty issues. I do agree not a difficult fix. Ride and worry about warranty replacement later is a great way to look at it. Great bikes and the extra fuel range is well worth getting the as in my opinion.
    Flying Frisian and Cuchulainn like this.
  18. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    I filed a report with NHTSA as well on mine. Hoping to be able to trigger an actual official recall.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Edit: The reason I did is because in my discussions with American Honda they told me that some of the issues with repeated fixes was due to the dealerships being independently owned. The guy I spoke with said most follow the Honda recommended procedures, but not all and some have come up with some "creative solutions" which haven't always worked. It was my hope that an official recall would result in a more uniform remedy.
  20. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and 3 other AT did part of the NM BDR last weekend.

Here is the only issue we had with the 2018 ATAS:

This episode has reinforced my conviction of only touring on high volume popular motorcycles that are not first year out of the box. There are tons of after market parts and forum posts to solve discovered known issues.

This was my first fuel filter cleaning. We were about 50 miles south of Carlsbad. Duke is about a mile behind me and calls.

He said his motor is cutting out at 6200 RPM. I knew the cause immediately.

I told him “your fuel filter is clogged with paint chips. Let’s pull over and turn the bike off to release the fuel pressure. This will get you another 20 miles. “

Sure enough we got about another 20 miles, stopped and repeat.

I sent a text out to our riding buddies, because the closest Honda dealer was 100 miles away in Roswell. I asked them to find a mechanic in Carlsbad. They found Carl’s auto and cycle parts.

I called and spoke to the mechanic, Austin. Austin said he had never heard of an Africa Twin

I said no problem, we just need a shop, I have all the tools but we can’t dump gas on the ground. He told us to pull around back when we got to town.

The 2018 Africa twin Adventure sports has a known issue of some of the paint chipping off the inside welds and clogging fuel filter. I have heard of a couple of 2019 ATAS also.

Duke had about 10k miles on his bike. I though about pulling it a couple of weeks ago when we installed the cruise control to inspect. Didn’t do it, but should have. Most of the problem tanks happened before 3000 miles.

In route I also called DFW Honda, he will have a new fuel pump on Thursday so it doesn’t mess up our Idaho BDR trip June 12th. I also suggested he order a guglatech filter to solve the problem for good.

Here is the filter we are going to install:

When we pulled behind the parts store, there is a shop. With some street and motocross bikes.

View attachment 264579

Here is the video I found for Austin the mechanic to take apart the fuel filter.

View attachment 264580

Bottom line, Adventure touring on a motorcycle is a lot less stressful if you know your bike and some of the potential issues.

This episode was a pain. but it is very satisfying when a problem erupts and you have the ability and good fortune to solve the problem.

Saturday morning, Steve, Dave and I hit the BDR. I told Duke he was good for about another 4000 miles.

But Duke was not comfortable knowing this problem did not have permanent fix yet. I think that was a great decision on Duke’s part. After all the shaking, rock and rut hitting we did, it could have easily caused more paint to flake off.

Duke made it home Saturday evening with no problems.
    LTTLTD and IdealPragmatist like this.