2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer talking to Honda Canada said they thought they had the issue solved with the AS tanks.
    The 1100 ATAS that the dealer had in the shop with the same white flakes plugging the sock. Apperently the tanks are made in in the US .
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  2. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the CamelADV high fender kit installed, went with Polisport SM Line front fender and Acerbis KTM 85SX fork guards. Great kit, all the parts included fit well and no issues there.

Since I have the Hepco & Becker bracing bow that interferes with the rear of the high fender, I had to modify the mounting holes on fender and space the fender forward and down to clear the bracing bow.

The fork guards are more a matte white than the gloss front fender but I suppose they match the refrigerator white frame well enough. Decals are OE Honda ATAS front fender decals trimmed to fender for a factory-ish look.

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 16.jpg

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 2.jpg
    2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 6.jpg
    2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 11.jpg
    2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 12.jpg
  3. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I didn't want to wait for the 1/2" height HDPE sheet I ordered, I used two of the (red) mounting plates that came with the Polisport fender stacked together (about 14mm height), trimmed and mounting holes drilled to fit the front two mounting options on the CamelADV mounting plate. I "seam welded" the two plastic mounting plates together by heating a screwdriver with a torch and melting them together along the edge, just enough to keep them together.

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 9.jpg

With the the spacer between the CamelADV plate and fender, I needed longer hardware and used 25mm flange bolts at the front and 30mm rear along with a melange of fender collar washers I had in my miscellaneous hardware.

The Polisport SM Line fender is a little narrow at the back so spaced out the brake line p-clamp mounts so the lines weren't pinched inwards for better routing along with button head screws for a lower profile inside the fender.

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 10.jpg

Plenty of clearance with the Hepco & Becker bracing bow lock to lock.

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 7.jpg
    2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 8.jpg

Really liking the look of this setup!

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 15.jpg
    Pcfly, B-Nads, windowto and 3 others like this.
  4. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks really good NOmadic. Do you think it’s possible to run a fender bag on that setup?
    N0madic likes this.
  5. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I don't see why you couldn't run a fender bag depending on the size, the fender and mount is very sturdy. I'll take some measurements tomorrow to see how much room there is with the light bar and report back.
    AZMtnRider likes this.
  6. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So not a lot of room with the light bar for a fender bag as most seem to be around 12" length. One of the larger enduro type fenders from UFO, Ancra, KTM, etc would maybe give a bit more room for one though.

2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 17.jpg
    2018 ATAS CamelADV High Front Fender 18.jpg
  7. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of a fender bag, have you thought about doing a crashbar bag instead? I have 2 of them I use, and can stuff a good bit of stuff in them. Although, the heavy stuff I will put in the soft pannier bags.

upload_2020-6-1_15-15-26.png
    LTTLTD and N0madic like this.
  8. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not planning on running one as I can fit what I need in panniers and/or tail bag for the most part. @AZMtnRider asked if it was possible so just providing the dimension of the Polisport SM fender with the light bar. I have seen those bags for light / crash bars which do seem pretty convenient if you need a little extra storage.
    chittyrox likes this.
  9. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks NOmadic. I will check how much my outback bars stick out over the fender. I like to use a fender bag for a front tube and tire irons
    N0madic likes this.
  10. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is something I did not know. Do you happen to know where?
  11. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Central BC
  12. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    So they are made in Central BC, not US? Not that it matters. The reason I was asking is that I had seen a post from a guy on another forum who was relaying info from his dealership. The dealer was saying that the issue with the tank/fuel pump was due to Honda using a preservative coating in the tanks for storage due to an earthquake/tsunami related shutdown in Japan. There is a lot more to the story, that didn't make a lot of sense to me, particularly if the tanks are not even manufacturered in Japan.
  13. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the confusion. I am from BC. The info I received the as tanks are made in the US. Appears to be the corrosion resistent coating applied to the inside of the tanks that is flaking off and is still happening on the new bikes this year. The none adv sport tanks are ok. Not sure where they are made but assuming different plant.
  14. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been able to order just the OEM fuel screen/strainer/filter? Anyone try these https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-3546...rf-1000-2017-2020-replaces-16700-mjp-g51.html ?

Bestproducts.com has the Guglatech on backorder and I am not wanting to wait around. Have about 8000 miles on my bike, took the advice from this thread as a preemptive step before going on another bdr. Appear to have the same problem as everyone else, flakes of something in the strainer and all around the pump area. I could just clean the existing filter, but would prefer repalcing.

Any advice appreciated.

Dan
    dansadv.com
  15. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @danmcc6 I think you will be fine if you just rinse the tank and strainer with some vinegar. I did that and planned to add the sock; that was 12,000 miles ago. I still haven't ordered the Gugletech sock. YMMV.
  16. danmcc6

danmcc6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is good news.... thank you
  17. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    No worries. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the issue in general. Largely due to Honda not issuing a recall or service bulletin and stating for the record what the particulate is.

I have had a number of phone conversations with America Honda since my bike has been in twice for the issue. The guy I have been communicating with was adamant that the issue was oxidation and a byproduct from the welds in the large ATAS tanks. He mentioned that Honda was investigating the welding process because they arene't sure why it is happening and "it isn't as though Honda has never welded a tank before). But I also have seen posts where people have gotten information that would indicate it is from a coating flaking off, which the guy from America Honda said it was not.

Not sure what to believe since Honda doesn't appear to want to officially say. In the meantime we are on year 3 of not knowing for sure :)
  18. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine directly from Italy . They shipped FedEx which was expensive. took about 2.5 weeks to BC. I didn't want to put it back together an extra time. I did get tank pretty clean with vinegar and a scrub pad on a wire but wanted the piece of mind of the extra filtration. Honda warrantied a second pump as I was not sure of condition as it ran pretty much dry multiply times. Back flushing the high pressure filter seemed iffy as it is not viseable. The high pressure filter is replacable separately not sure of part number.
  19. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree a lot.of speculation. My impression is they thought they had it fixed this year. It would appear to me to be an anti-rust sealant applied in the welding process that is not adhearing. The flakes are to big to be an electrolysis issue and when warm are gummy which makes the pluggage worse, in cold weather fuel seems to get by. My unlearned opinion anyhow. I Talked to an owner of a 2020 with the problem so for sure on to year 3.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  20. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely still with us for 2020. I have seen reports from 7-8 owners of 2020 bikes who have confirmed flakes in the tank after having a fueling issue. Crazy that they still haven't resolved this.