2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree it's not like honda.
  2. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did receive a call from NHTSA this afternoon. They are following up on a "flood of compliments" that they have received and said that they would like to hear from anyone who has had this issue regardless of country of residence.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
  3. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will follow up, thanks for the link.
    windowto and Cuchulainn like this.
  4. Halv

Halv n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an idea of what percent of ATAS are having the fuel tank problem? If were all of them you think they couldn't ignore it for this long.
  5. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I've done my own tank flush and filter clean out twice with 12,000 mi. on the clock so from Honda's perspective, I haven't been affected. I wonder how the DIY bunch skews their stats.

Good wrenchin' yourself to know it is done right to ya!
  6. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had two ATAS and the problem occurred on both bikes. I dealt with it myself on both. I say 100%. Know anyone that hasn't had the problem?
    TETSUHIRO likes this.
  7. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not talked any adventure sports without the issue.
  8. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    I have had it happen twice, so I probably made up for someone who hasn't had the issue :)
  9. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tank debris issue was showing up last year on the AT FB page. I had a friends 2018 start having issues around 10k-12k. He replaced the pump and cleaned out the collector himself, no issues since. Amazing to see the 2020 bikes are having this issue.
  10. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted about the issue way back in July of 2018 with only 1,500 miles on my bike to crickets on both here and the Africa Twin forums. About a month later, similar stories and questions started pouring in. It's more pronounced in the hot summer months, so there was a resurgence of questions about it this past summer as well and I'm sure we'll start seeing some more cases this summer from people who bought leftover '18s and '19s, and then potentially '20s if it's still an issue.
  11. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    It is definitely still an issue with the 2020's unfortunately. I have seen 10 or so reports of it already between forums and FB groups.
    Motorwerx likes this.
  12. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we didn't have the white flakes in the tank, what would we talk about? :dunno
  13. Halv

Halv n00b

Oddometer:
    Its unfortunate that the adventure sport that is set-up for long distance touring is the one that's more likely to leave you stranded.

I read on another forum that a dealer advised against putting the fuel pump filter on because it would void warranty. Also because it's open on the bottom it may not prevent it from happening again. I think I'll get one anyway but wait until after my warranty is up and in the meantime periodically check my tank with a borescope.
    windowto and Motorwerx like this.
  14. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Fork seal incontinence? :amazon

Good feeler gauge clean out techniques to ta!
  15. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    All I was told by American Honda on mine is that because after the repair Honda now owns the issue, but if I modify it by adding a Guglatech filter it would void the warranty on the repair. They really can't void the warranty on anything that isn't directly related to the inclusion of the filter.
  16. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my wife's 2017 is in for fork seal replacement. I tried cleaning it with one of those Risk Racing Seal Doctors, but it didn't improve.
  17. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done right means you get it the first time bud. Sorry to put you down but don't talk yourself up. What happened to being humble for fuks sake.
    I'm waiting on a pump bikes at the dealer. When I get her back I will pull it apart and make sure it never happens again.
  18. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I do is ride after work, and on the weekends. I'm going crazy.... Got a call from Matt the other day. I thought it was Matt at the dealership she's at. Just American honda warranty rep. Most quotable question, "How many miles have you put on it since you got it back?" Me, " I haven't gotten it back." Oh I'll see if I can hurry that up. Maybe call your guy before me next time? Dude claims to be all about the twin though. Yea I would be too. I'd be out every night, some mornings, and every weekend. I just need my bike back.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  19. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Nope, just like tires, chains and brake pads some things take more than once being an ongoing maintenance task. The flaking occurs over time, not all at once ...

Good remaining silent and appearing a fool rather than posting and removing all doubt to ya!
    windowto likes this.
  20. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A pound of stainless aggregate n a modified paint shaker. Chemicals aside this will make it happen all at once. Just a matter of how long and how many different positions I shake it in