2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't compare something being broke to regular maintenance.
  2. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course, even if by doing it yourself you haven't been affected from Honda's perspective, you could still file a report with NHTSA and have it counted there.
    McLaughc and windowto like this.
  3. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your suggestion but I will defer given my particular animus for the NHSTA as no friend of the motorcycling community.

I had my fill of them when Joan Claybrook blew over two million taxpayer dollars trying to design a motorcycle that steered with the rear wheel (despite physicists telling her it wouldn't work) and them engaging in statistical fraud to perpetuate the national 55 mph speed limit that I loathed with a passion unbounded.

But that's just me ... :-)

Good safety nanny nullification to ya!
    slipknot and playinatwork like this.
  4. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    Honda did mine the first time, I did it right the second. Took a while lot less time for me to do it than it took Honda.. Bike was down for two weeks at the dealership and I had it done on about two days and that includes sealing the tank.
    I don't like having others work on my vehicles and this just reenforced it. If ya didn't want to pull it apart and seal it it would be a pretty easy task to just swap the filter a couple times until flakes stopped coming through.
    Everyone has their own way of approaching the issue be it having Honda fix it, swapping filters, installing a prefilter, vinegar in the tank, sealing it or all of the above!
    I am disappointed to hear that Honda has not addressed the issue for the 2020 but it has been great seeing everyone's ingenuity and problem solving skills in action.
    chittyrox, Motorwerx and windowto like this.
  5. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you share your method and, maybe, pictures, if you got them? I have a 2016 DCT and seriously considering the 2020 ATAS, but dreading the potential tank problems. If I knew I could potentially fix it once and for all, I would be more encouraged.

Thank you
  6. redneckmech

redneckmech No burrito left behind!

Oddometer:
    I wrote it up in this thread a year or so ago. Posts number 2488, 2513 and 2547

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=14159&share_type=t&link_source=app

https://advrider.com/f/index.php?posts/38156081

https://advrider.com/f/index.php?posts/38202402

Hopefully the links work, trying to pull them from my phone.
    windowto likes this.
  7. Mitch-DirtRider

Mitch-DirtRider If it has two wheels, I’m on it!

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I recently experienced fuel starvation issues on my 2018 ATAS unaware of any such a problem prior. So I pulled the tank and had a peek and found loads of the white stuff! Then I got even more curious and jumped online and found some of you had the same problem with the flakes and that miserable black slime!

So I opened the fuel pump up and man, no wonder she was down on power and hesitating - that sludgy goop got everywhere. I back flushed the teabag pre filter until it was white again, almost. Did the same with the filter inside the plastic housing. Cleaned up everything else I could get to.

Bolted it all back up and took it for a spin and presto, the acceleration difference was unreal!

I had to flush the tank about 30 times to clear much of it but I know it’s still in there on the welds that I can’t see or get to. I’d probably say there’s not much left because my final rinses didn’t have many of those flakes of doom. My tank flush technique was with fuel. I’d drop say half a litre in, shake it around, use my reverse fluid pump to suck the dirty fuel out, filter it back into the fuel container and repeat. Lots.

I’m not the moaning type when it comes to motorcycles, I’ve had loads and they all tend to have the odd issue, I have a Harley and Ducati as my main bikes atm so I’m not unfamiliar with issues.... my Harley had to have a vent hole drilled into the primary to stop me losing tranny oil. For the time being I’m mobile again and I’ll call Honda Australia because it would have been nice to have been informed of this potentially dangerous condition before experiencing it on a killer road. I’ll also log a case with the dealer while I’m inside warranty. Because I think it’s a safety concern I’ve logged it with Department of Infrastructure and Transport because having fueling problems at speed on the Barton Highway into Canberra is not such a fun time.

Other than this, the ATAS is a sweet machine. Maybe the grip heaters could be warmer but that’s splitting hairs.

Thanks to all those folks who have documented this issue here on ADVR - really helped me understand what’s going on. Should have joined earlier!

D3648451-23DF-49FD-BB86-D8CBF272E302.jpeg
    0E415941-A9E3-4AA7-98E2-4CC5BED2E6D4.jpeg