1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2018-2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Winger57

Winger57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not saying that isn’t possible but both times I had the issue the bike would die and after a few short minutes it would start back up, but mostly it would lose power
  2. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what the issue is, but the dealer thought it was likely the fuel pump. All I know is no start. An occasional bump or two, but that's it. Since there were no pumps on hand I'll just have to wait until they are available unless they find another issue is the source of the problem.
  3. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    The verdict is in! Dealer called and said that the inside of the tank looked like a snow storm when they scoped it. So they will file a claim on the tank and fuel pump with Honda and we are now waiting on a pump. Of course the dealers shop is busy and looks like the end of next week before I can even get a slot. At least we know the problem now. Since the bike had 27 miles on the clock when the dealer took delivery of it, I suspect the previous dealer (think it was a trade) knew of the problem and said nothing about it. Worse things have happened, and will again.....
    Getnout, Notevenclose and WDG like this.
  4. PDXATAS

PDXATAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FFS, Honda :fpalm
    Getnout likes this.
  5. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Exactly!
    Getnout likes this.
  6. TETSUHIRO

TETSUHIRO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel so good
    My '18 ATAS has traveled over 70,000 kilometers.❤
    IMG_20200922_221755871.jpg IMG_20200922_164751.jpg
  7. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend, I learned the ATAS with oem panniers is a great "grocery getter". Just wrapped all the frozen items in a towel. Kept the Ice cream hard for the 30 minute ride back to the house.
    There was a couple parked across from me. They were about to leave when I rolled up to the bike with the shopping cart. After fitting all the groceries in the panniers, they provided a loud round of applause, along with big smiles and laughs, as they drove off.
    Thought that was pretty cool. :-)

Next time, I'll get pictures of the new "Family Bikerster". Need to apply some woodgrain to the panniers first... lol

On a more serious note, I'm thinking about adding some heat reflective material to the back side, around the muffler area. I noticed the items in that pannier were a bit warm after the ride home. I was thinking about some DEI material that I've used before.
    Have any of you done that kind of mod? What did you use, and are you happy with how it came out?
    TIA,

Installed-top-view.jpg
    N0madic likes this.
  8. dirtngravel

dirtngravel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how many people have over 4000 miles on their ATAS and have not had any problems with fuel supply. I have 4000 miles on my 2018 and I have not had problems. I'm not saying that this problem isn't real, I'm just wondering how wide spread this problem is.
    TETSUHIRO likes this.
  9. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you would be surprised at what the inside of your tank almost definitely looks like.

I'm still working on my post for my fuel tank and fueling issues so won't be posting that for a bit but here's what the inside of my tank looked like at around 4000 miles. Shameful from Honda.

2018 Honda ATAS Fuel Tank Debirs Teaser 1.jpg
    2018 Honda ATAS Fuel Tank Debirs Teaser 2.jpg
    2018 Honda ATAS Fuel Tank Debirs Teaser 3.jpg
    windowto and Getnout like this.
  10. N0madic

N0madic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine is my grocery getter too. I have a couple of reusable bags that fit the panniers well and self-checkout to load my bags so I can usually just slot them in the panniers no muss no fuss when I get to the bike. I also have a cooler that fits the left pannier well that I can also just strap down on the seat if I need the pannier space.

I've been buying watermelon and other melons all summer and have gotten pretty good at gauging helmet size watermelon to fit the pannier. I'll get some photos too.

I used a sheet of DEI Reflect-A-Gold on the right side pannier to help with exhaust heat. I've used it on other bikes and works great.

2018 ATAS Pannier Gold Heat Reflective 1.jpg

I went back and filled in the upper part with the leftover material later.

2018 ATAS Leo Vince Exhaust Pannier Gold Heat Reflective 1.jpg
    windowto, sheath, Getnout and 2 others like this.
  11. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Widespread?? About like Covid-19 I 'spose, ya seen any dead around ya yet? :hmmmmm

Inspection and cleaning is an afternoon job so I'd recommend a removal and inspection in off season as the job is at most a 1/2 day with beer included. The hardest part is not busting the fragile fuel connectors to the tank.

I've done it twice, the first with symptoms @ 3000 mi. and the second from paranoia @ 10000 mi. and currently closing in on lucky 13,0000 mi. on the clock. The first time was a definitely a problem and the second was nowhere near as bad. I'll do one more over the winter sleep (about 6 mo. where I live :dirtdog) for good measure to be like the valley girl that insists on condoms plus birth control to be "Fer sure, fer sure ..." :photog

It is a PITA but over time there cannot be that much flaking off left after sundry miles and going on three years of riding so maybe this time will be the last.

From anecdotal evidence, if Honda does a warranty the fix for ya it'll just do a reset on the counter as the problem seems to persist with current OEM tank production/stock for the '18 ATAS.

Good if at first ya don't succeed, skydiving my not be the sport for you to ya!
    Getnout likes this.
  12. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. dirtngravel

dirtngravel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that information, it's kind of what I figured.
    Getnout likes this.
  14. dirtngravel

dirtngravel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just scoped my tank after vigorously shaking it up and I didn't see anything floating in the gas. I'm hoping that I have a bike that is not affected by this issue.
  15. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    That's good news for ya ... I don't know what kind of scope ya got, but if you can snake it down to the pickup area of the fuel pump, that is where the spooge will be. This is what my pickup filter looked like the first time and what was in the fuel I dumped out of the tank (I had water in the fuel too from some bad gas that didn't help either :dirtdog):

IMG_20181021_115731.jpg IMG_20181021_112101.jpg

Good maintenance to ya!
    Getnout likes this.
  16. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    A most gracious invite & sounds like fun ... but not as much as I'll be having at that time on my winter alternate (the long range forecast sez we should have an above average snowfall this season):

IMG_20200316_150056.jpg

Ya'll have fun now and don't break anything ... :thumbup

Good recreation of all types to ya!
    playinatwork likes this.
  17. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great work on the DEI Gold. Thanks for posting!
    This material goes with the whole gold theme.
    I haven't been brave enough to try watermellon... yet. That's awesome!
    Was thinking about strapping an empty duffle to the seat, just in case my stomach is bigger than the bike on of these times... lol
    Getnout likes this.
  18. All-Terrain

All-Terrain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what exactly is the issue with the fuel tank? Is it slowly coming apart, flaking off its own material? Or is it just a preservative / manufacturing coating that is reacting to the gasoline?

Amazing that some people have had it happen over and over....!
  19. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few posts on the gas tank issue but maybe I'm way off base with it. Seems to me that the stuff coming off the tank is soluble in gas and getting caught in the screen. First of all, if it is soluble in gas, it will eventually melt and go through the system. Anything that goes in the injector will eventually thin and dissolve out. Secondly, the large particles are being caught in the screen.. exactly what is supposed to happen. Therefore it couldn't get into the fuel pump and damage it.
    So, what am I missing?
  20. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It causes fuel starvation/stuttering on the bike and it sucks.
    Getnout and Todd157k like this.